Flying Bugs That Get You Drunk /high

daiwill60

Is it true that the flying bugs , that look like big flying ants , that come out in the evening after a period of rain during the day ( the Thais call them Malang Maow) can actually get you comletely off your face after eating about 10 of them or so.????

If anyone knows the proper name of this bug can they inform me and possibly if you know what it is that causes the effect???

The big flying ants are actually termites. They're called maeng mao, yes, but mao is pronounced differently, it doesn't mean drunk.

And to answer your main question, no they won't make u drunk/high. Maybe a bit dizzy if you watch them for too long.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers and comment guys, the reason I was asking is due to my doubts on this story, I was also informed last night that up in isaan where this tale originates from ( allegedly ) that the locals will actually collect and freeze them if, which i guess is their way of harvesting them .

Don't belive these daft ex-pats, of course they get you drunk. Exactly the same as the chlorine in an outdoor swimming pool makes your skin darker and you have must cover up inside the car because the UV gets stronger when it comes through the windshield.

Goodness man, how old are you ?

I think whoever told you they get you high was having a laugh to see if they could actually get you to eat some.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or maybe he was drunk off his face telling you!