Have O-A Visa. When Can I Apply For New Multiple Entry Permit?

First off, many thanks to everyone for the great information here! Gave me everything I needed to know to go for the multiple entry O-A visa in Los Angeles. I entered Thailand this last 26 Jan. And haven't had to do a 90 day report since I've been traveling a bit around SE Asia. Every time I come back the 90 day clock is reset and I get a new one year period to re-enter. Very nice.

Also, I expect to exit and re-enter shorty before the end of my first year here so I'll have almost the full additional one year 'grace' before I have to get an extension.

But, it appears my multiple entry permit will still expire 1 year from my first entry. I'm planning to return to the US about Jan 1, 2014 for a couple of months. So I'm going to need to get a new entry permit before I leave in order to get back in.

Will Immigration issue a new single or multiple entry permit before the old one expires? If not, I'll have to change my plans and wait for the expiration before my US trip.

Thanks

After your visa expires you will need to apply for a re-entry permit at immigration. The cost will be 1900 baht for a single or 3800 baht for a multiple. The permit will be valid for the period of your current permit to stay you have on the date of application.

Your visa expires 1 year from issuance, any time you enter Thailand before that date you get a new 1 year permission to stay.

So just leave and re-enter Thailand just before it expires and you get a new 1 year of stay. Than you buy a re-entry permit and you cna come and go as you please with keeping the permission to stay from when you retunred to Thailand just before the visa expires.

A re-entry permit costs 1,000 baht for a single and 3,800 for a multiple.

Currently you do not have a re-entry permit, it is your visa itself that allows multiple entries as long as the visa is still valid.

You do not have a re-entry permit now - just a multi entry visa - so issue of a re-entry permit should be routine for your last permitted to stay period.

Thanks. I think I get it. So I'll go to Immigration before my departure on Jan 1. My multiple entry visa will not be expired but I can get a multiple entry permit that will get me back in sometime in March.

What is the expiration (enter before date) date of your visa. The validity of your visa started on the date it was issued not when you entered the country.

What re-entry permit you get would depend upon your permit to stay date when you depart in January. If you still have almost a year left then I suggest you get a multiple re-entry permit.

To get the most out of your visa I suggest you make a border run just before it expires and get another one year entry.

After your visa expires you will need to apply for a re-entry permit at immigration. The cost will be 1900 baht for a single or 3800 baht for a multiple. The permit will be valid for the period of your current permit to stay you have on the date of application.

That goes to the heart of my question. You're saying After my visa expires I can get a re-entry permit. But I need to get the re-entry permit just shortly Before my visa expires. I intend to be in the US on the date the visa expires. So I'll need to get the new permit issued before I leave. If immigration will do it.

Thanks,

I think you may of been posting when I did my last post.

Immigration will issue a re-entry permit before you visa expires without any problem.

But double check the expiration date of your visa.;

What is the expiration (enter before date) date of your visa. The validity of your visa started on the date it was issued not when you entered the country.

What re-entry permit you get would depend upon your permit to stay date when you depart in January. If you still have almost a year left then I suggest you get a multiple re-entry permit.

To get the most out of your visa I suggest you make a border run just before it expires and get another one year entry.

The 'enter before' date on my visa is 10 Jan 2014 so I assume the visa expires about 9 JAN. My current permitted to stay is 25 May 2014. I'm planning a quick exit/return in early December so I'll have almost another full year. As long as Immigration will give me the re-entry permit on Jan 1st, I'll go for the multiple.