2 Indian Medical Students Caught-Up In Pattaya Jet Ski Scam

Rimmer

150 baht for 30 minutes of jetski ? At this rate it's really obvious there is going to be some repair fees to pay at the end of the ride cheesy.gif

I reckon it was a misprint of 1500 baht for 30 minutes. If so, they got screwed twice.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would it be possible to get back at these cnts by driving off with the jet skis and loading them onto a boat waiting round the corner.... It would be a just scam to get back at them , I've often day dreamed about that . I wonder how fast the police would act on behalf of these guys , probably quicker than might be expected unfortunatley. but it would be a good buzz if anyone else want to get together for a mass jet ski hiest!!!

I wonder that if a Thai got stiffed this way, rather than follow the usual procedure when losing face.of returning 'carrying' and making a few holes in things and people, he made a middle of the night visit to the ski boat storage and distributed a few Molotov cocktails. Any red shirt would show him how to make one. Just a popular fantasy with me. smile.png

I've been scammed in Thailand and other places but it usually involves doing something shady.

This scam is worse because it preys on unsuspecting tourists. If the scammers tried to pull this on me or my family while

on vacation I swear to god I'd walk down to the beach and beat the <deleted> out of them.

BUT, the problem is........it is a well set up scam with ooooooooooooodles of backup, we can be brave but numbers win.

But we cannot be intimidated by such lowlifes. If the police are unable to defend tourists against jet-ski scammers, they should be held responsible for such crimes meaning compensate tourists materially and morally.

How fun would it be for us farangs to organise a 'gathering' of about a hundred of us there, all on stand-by and when something like this happens we surround them?

Just for the hell of it. Might even teach them a lesson!

How fun would it be for us farangs to organise a 'gathering' of about a hundred of us there, all on stand-by and when something like this happens we surround them?

Just for the hell of it. Might even teach them a lesson!

Did you not read what happened in a nightclub about a week ago, when a Thai guy and his friends felt outnumbered by some foreigners? I am quite sure the jetski mafia is armed too, and they know they will not be in trouble with the police should they decide to shoot someone.

Edited by monkeycountry

Maybe there's a market for a private militia, you know African style, for those who really need to rent jetskis here. Like a group of armed thugs bigger and badder than the ski boys that you hire for the duration of your water sports experience. Sure it would be pricey, but surely a fraction of the cost of getting scammed. Just a thought. coffee1.gif

You mean bigger and badder than the combined force of the jetski mafia and the Thai police (who split the profits)? Yeah, I don't think such a force will be allowed to operate in Thailand :-)

You could rent the baht bus association, bigger and more corrupt!

You may be right, but I have never seen them cause any trouble, and at 10-20 baht for a ride around town, you can't really be upset about their prices :-)

There are too many vested interests in jet-ski scams - we've all seen the footage of police officers' involvement.

Consulates should issue a travel warning to all tourists not to use any jet-ski rentals - anywhere in Thailand - as a safety measure.

The Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has long advertised this 'travel warning' regarding the jet ski nonsense via its "Smart Traveller" website

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

One could imagine that if the Australian's are doing it, then the Americans and the British are also doing it.

For what it's worth, the US offers a similar take:

http://travel.state.gov/

Well, we are coming up on the 1 year anniversary of Charlerm's crackdown on mafia that target tourists in Pattaya. He bleated that he would have the place cleaned up in 3 months. coffee1.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/564891-crackdown-on-mafia-targeting-tourists-more-govt-bluster/?hl=+chalerm%20+crackdown%20+jet%20+ski

This scam will continue to be a nice earner until such time that the loss of face for it to continue outweighs it's profitability. Like a prime-time doco on the subject carried on TV in Australia, UK, India, China, USA, etc. Until something like this happens, it's fair game on the unwary tourist.

All I can think is that this is truly a situation that no one would like to be put into. Being surrounded leaves one with no alternatives to make a call for help or anything lest they trigger a beating or worse.

On that thought alone, I can truly say that my disgust for the Thai police goes to an even lower level than before, simply because they tolerate this element in their midst.

Rounding up ladyboys for simply loitering, but not rounding up these beasts for known robbery (and this is what has been described) is one good example of hypocrisy which leads to my disgust.

The ladyboys are not loitering, they are stealing. At least the jetski mafia has the courtesy of "asking" for your money, instead of just taking them :-)

I think you missed my point.

Where are all of the cheap charlie bashers now? I would expect them to come out and say something like, "If you can't afford the 45,000 baht extortion jet ski fine, then maybe you should go back and work/live in your home country".

• Like 1

What's happened with all the talk over the last 5+ yrs on how the authorities are going to crackdown on these scams and protect tourists. Just how bloody long are they going to talk or are they waiting for the ambassadors to speak up again and again before they announce another crackdown just to shut up the various embassies? Time to sprinkle a little sugar around again

I like you mentioned about the "authorities are going to crack down on these scams..." It seems that authorities with one breath say they are going to crackdown... Then the other breath they are surprised that this has happened.

There are too many vested interests in jet-ski scams - we've all seen the footage of police officers' involvement.

Consulates should issue a travel warning to all tourists not to use any jet-ski rentals - anywhere in Thailand - as a safety measure.

The Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has long advertised this 'travel warning' regarding the jet ski nonsense via its "Smart Traveller" website

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Thailand

One could imagine that if the Australian's are doing it, then the Americans and the British are also doing it.

For what it's worth, the US offers a similar take:

http://travel.state.gov/

The Australian website does not mention anything about scams. All it says is that following an accident the police could detain and arrest people until payment is made. This suggests that actual damage has been done.

They really should change this to explain the real situation.

This is all the website has to say about jet skis:

• Carefully consider your safety and the implications of accidents if you hire a motorcycle or jet ski and seek advice on any restrictions that may apply (such as insurance cover if you are not licensed to ride a motorcycle in Australia). You should check with your travel insurer whether these activities are covered by your policy. You may be detained and arrested by police following jet ski and motorcycle accidents until compensation, often in thousands of dollars, can be negotiated between parties.
  • Australian travellers continue to report harassment and threats of violence by jet ski operators on beaches across Thailand, and particularly in Phuket, Pattaya, Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.

150 baht for 30 minutes of jetski ? At this rate it's really obvious there is going to be some repair fees to pay at the end of the ride :cheesy:

Ya that price had me wondering too, never heard of renting jet skis that cheap anywhere?

• 4 weeks later...

For 45k I think I would be getting back on the jetski and disappearing over the horizon.

Or I'd tell them I want to rent again, get back on board and hop off the damn thing down by Bali Hai pier or somewhere and scarper.

What's happened with all the talk over the last 5+ yrs on how the authorities are going to crackdown on these scams and protect tourists. Just how bloody long are they going to talk or are they waiting for the ambassadors to speak up again and again before they announce another crackdown just to shut up the various embassies? Time to sprinkle a little sugar around again

procrastination rules in Thailand

the authorities run this scam

I think it will take the jet ski mafia finally killing someone before the police will be forced to act.

Unfortunately I don't think even that will force a change , I remember the British Military guys even being threatened with a Rifle on TV & the net & it did not slow down.

It makes certain people too much Money I would suggest.

I M O

ph34r.png