Why Do Some Thais Walk 20-30 Paces Behind Their Farang Partner?

amykat

Boy I've seen some denial in my time, but some posts take the biscuit.

They are trying to pretend they are not with you......get over it!!

They will sacrifice standing next to you if you are looking in a shop window they fancy.

Edited by uptheos

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is "like an old proverb".

Fat women are like mopeds, fun to ride but you wouldn't want to be seen with one...cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I guess the same goes for old fat men, they are fun to rob but you wouldn't want to be caught doing it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

I believe there is also a song......." Robing him softly with my love"

Edited by oops

well i'm screwed, I'm not an expat although My wifes thai and I spend more then half my time there.

I cannot partake in expat banter.

Yes! you finally got something right!

Bye bye now!

The Thai joke is that they walk behind the man so they can keep him in line with a stick - my mother in USA always walked well behind my father - he was compulsive, she relaxed.

Have you ever seen pictures of Duck Herders in China? They also use a stick to herd ducks along the roadside from pond to pond.

And I think they usually walk behind the ducks.

In China???

Get out of the city, out of the bars.

Look around the real Thailand......Same Same here...duck herders with sticks!

why use China as an example????

I believe it is customary for women/wives to walk several paces behind their man , it is an habitual mark of respect , in the same way that people bob down below your line of vision when passing . My wife does exactly the same , when we are in the city or supermarket I turn round to see where she is and she has disappeared into a shop or another department . I find it very irritating , as I would like her to walk beside me , to do the shopping together . When we reach the checkout I would like her to help me , but she suddenly disappears . I hurry to pay the bill , lest she comes rushing with an armfull of clothes or handbags , wanting me to pay for them too . I often have to telephone to find out where she is . I do not think it is for embarrassment to be seen with a Farang , as so many women would like to have one for the extra money he brings .

No, no, no... It isn't short legs. And it isn't embarrassment. And not the phone calls.

It is male/female psychological differences.

I never observed what OP says, but I have a similar yet different problem. My wife keeps disappearing in any shopping center.

I usually ask her to make a list of what we want to buy. It does not help.

I go to what we came for. She is 'just shopping' - looking, finding ideas, specials etc. Tales of buying white elephants are not helping...

I think I have read this from E. Zola in one of his novels long ago. French actually invented the concept of Department Stores Sales based on female Psychology.

I used to get angry. I used to tell her off. No use...

Now, as soon as I loose sight of her I stop. And let her find me. Usually there are lots of things she has picked up at 'bargain' price 'on special' etc.

Never mind they are not on the list. Never mind we do not need them. It is a psychological thing.

BTW there is never enough bags and shoes in this world! biggrin.png

No, no, no... It isn't short legs. And it isn't embarrassment. And not the phone calls.

It is male/female psychological differences.

I never observed what OP says, but I have a similar yet different problem. My wife keeps disappearing in any shopping center.

I usually ask her to make a list of what we want to buy. It does not help.

I go to what we came for. She is 'just shopping' - looking, finding ideas, specials etc. Tales of buying white elephants are not helping...

I think I have read this from E. Zola in one of his novels long ago. French actually invented the concept of Department Stores Sales based on female Psychology.

I used to get angry. I used to tell her off. No use...

Now, as soon as I loose sight of her I stop. And let her find me. Usually there are lots of things she has picked up at 'bargain' price 'on special' etc.

Never mind they are not on the list. Never mind we do not need them. It is a psychological thing.

BTW there is never enough bags and shoes in this world! biggrin.png

Used to have the same problem. Asked the wife to stop disappearing into shops. Next time she did it I left and went to the pub. Told here that I thought she had left and that any time in the future she disappears on me I will do the same thing. Problem solved.

• Like 1