Why Do Some Thais Walk 20-30 Paces Behind Their Farang Partner?

amykat

The Thai joke is that they walk behind the man so they can keep him in line with a stick - my mother in USA always walked well behind my father - he was compulsive, she relaxed.

Well at 20 - 30 paces behind she must have one long stick. Unless she has really good eyesight she won't even be able to tell when he's scoping other women.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not believe it was not until Jackflash posted on page 3 the correct answer: showing respect. Jeez, some of you guys need to get out of the pub sometimes if you didn't know!Duh...

I hear used to be the same in Cambo and Laos until so many land mines were laid and the rules changed. Now the lady walks in front.Ka BOOM!

I asked my girl about that a long time ago and she said that a lot of Thais look down on Thais who've got a farang partner, especially when the Thai is female because a lot of the Thai girls that have falang boyfriends are/were bar girls.

This.

The Thai joke is that they walk behind the man so they can keep him in line with a stick - my mother in USA always walked well behind my father - he was compulsive, she relaxed.

Have you ever seen pictures of Duck Herders in China? They also use a stick to herd ducks along the roadside from pond to pond.

And I think they usually walk behind the ducks.

Lets see, to make sure you don't drop any money, too ensure no other tee laks are lurking, so she can talk to her other farlang boyfriends for money or her Thai bfs for a hook up later. Sorry I just could not resist this one, too many typical scenarios.cheesy.gif

Lets see, to make sure you don't drop any money, too ensure no other tee laks are lurking, so she can talk to her other farlang boyfriends for money or her Thai bfs for a hook up later. Sorry I just could not resist this one, too many typical scenarios.cheesy.gif

Your fond memories eh. whistling.gif ....................................laugh.png

amykat, on 06 Jun 2013 - 23:11, said:

She wasn't shopping, it seemed to me she was just keeping her distance purposely. I know not all Thai ladies do this. I have had this happen to me, with various people, including men. No matter how many times I expressed that walking behind me, was not okay with me, as in, I might want to actually TALK to them....like I am PAYING them to work for me, and would like to be able to TALK, and being near by me, might be an advantage in that case, they still continue to walk so far behind. Is this a sign they are pissed off? I think it is. Personally, I think it is a sign to other Thais, that "I am just working for this fool" but maybe I am wrong??

Yes, I have seen it as well, I think, but I am not sure, that it really has to do with the fact that many Thais, they just view us as "white skin", or Farang. The meaning of farang, is for them, more than just the notion of white skin, it is rather the whole being. So different from regular humans, that we are considered an objec to the thais.

Me personally, I try to avoid referring to myself as that object (farang), at least it will not encourage them to view me just as "farang", or white skin...

And we all know where "white skin" usually find their Thai girl...

After all, all farang, same same...

Edited by ayayay

It is a subconscious expression of not really wanting to be with the farang, they would rather be elsewhere, doing something else and most importantly with someone else.

Yes, this is also true

My girl walks with me, but I slow down from my normal pace. If I am by myself I walk faster, but I am always being slowed down by the pace of others, usually Thais but tourists browsing on Sukhumvit are the slowest.

Why do Thais walk so slowly but drive so fast??

Well, I was wating for my massage person to show up, so I was basically wasting time, walking around. NO THIS IS NOT THE ONLY INSTANCE I HAVE OBSERVED. I have lived here nearly 10 years, and have ALWAYS wondered why this happens. I saw they were clearly together, because I saw, when the man totally stopped walking, the woman would catch up and talk with him about whatever, and then they would gradually fall back into the situation I described. I could clearly also see him slowing down, half turning towards her, as if expecting her to catch up, and she would just slow down.

So Amy, just to clarify, you only notice this phenomenon when there is a farang and Thai involved? In other words, this does not happen between Thai/Thai couples, correct? I haven't noticed, but then, I haven't closely observed, so I'm not saying it's not happening.

Thai men don't go shopping with the wife....

I have been in Thailand 10 years so I asked my wife about this walking behind. she had no answer its accidental but:

she can see if any women greet me

the pavements are so narrow and occupied by stalls etc not being two abreast becomes habit forming.

thai women are small and walk slower with smaller strides

My wife says she doesn't walk behind, its me, I walk in front.............

• Like 1

Really, is it an issue?

I have given up wondering what goes on on other peoples' heads. Just drives me crazy.

And females????

Different universe, don't even try to go there.

Just carry on and do your own thing.

Otherwise you just get into major issues and have a permanent headache.

People do things because they are people. There is no logic to it.

In my case my wife is just absurdly slow at walking- the further we walk the further she lags behind and she moans at me that i dont walk slow enough!! (we live in Sydney BTW). Even my 3 year old keeps up with me (when im attmeptiung to walk slowly) and complinas mummy is slow. Our 9yo walks at my full pace wiht me and complains that mummy is slow.

It just occurred to me, when I go out for a walk with my dog,

He never walks behind me, but always walks out in front.

Whoever heard of a dog on a leash who always walked behind?

Does this mean that a leash might be the answer?

I got to the 57th post on this thread (Ben2203) before I found an intelligent response. The walk behind thing happened to me 5 years ago with Lisu g/f and her Mum on our first meet. G/f walked with me and Mum way behind. Then on second meeting, Mum wasnt there, but g/f walked way behind and wouldn't explain why. Well, because Mum had told her to I guess. She's never done it since. It honours an older or senior or better educated or wealthier person.

• Like 1

Took the wife for a country walk today and she fell behind pretty quickly opened the picnic and started dishing out the food to the children.

She would rather drive 100m to the shop than walk. I believe Thais imho think walking is a waste of eating time.

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang
  • Like 1

I find that Thais, in general, walk at a more leisurely pace than I do, especially when we're not 'on the clock'. My Thai gf is considerably shorter than me, and she is always 'complaining' that I walk too fast. But it's just habit ... and it happens everywhere (even we're walking on a beach with no-one around or we're in a different country). So if we're not in conversation, I will find myself drifting ahead and then realise she's fallen back and stop and wait for her to catch up. She comes from a farming community and I live in a big city, so it perhaps shouldn't be a surprise that we walk at different speeds as a matter of habit.

Here's a list of average walking speeds in different cities/nations: http://dienekes.blogspot.sg/2007/05/walking-speed-in-different-cities.html Surprisingly, Singapore tops the list in speed. I live in Singapore, and I'm always finding myself speeding past people... [i'm from Canada originally, much farther down the list]

• Like 1

An informal tally finds us roughly split on Speed, Shame and Respect. The latter two seem diametrically opposed?

Fast/slow 32%

Shame 23%

Respect 18%

Rice paddies/herding 13%

farts/bargains 7%

normal 7%

post-9615-0-89273800-1370650346_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-37150800-1370650366_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

My ladyfriend used to walk alongside me but after I slapped her rear and said it was getting bigger she began walking behind me too.

You're lucky you fall into lomatopo's Normal piece of the pie and not the Fart one.

An informal tally finds us roughly split on Speed, Shame and Respect. The latter two seem diametrically opposed?

Fast/slow 32%

Shame 23%

Respect 18%

Rice paddies/herding 13%

farts/bargains 7%

normal 7%

So 7% are funny, but 70% are blissfully ignorant..... just they way these types of girls want them I expect.

This phenomena is not unique to Thailand; it occurs in tribal-cultures pretty much all over the globe. Apparently there's a very good & simple reason for it: Traditionally, when people moved through forested, jungle or other 'rough-terrains', the man would be "on point" just in case there was any danger (snakes, wild animals, tribal enemies etc.) on their path. He was also the first line of defense in case of trouble.

Somehow (like many other customary phenomena) this particular routine has stood the test of time and is still very much evident in many parts of the world.

• Like 1

This phenomena is not unique to Thailand; it occurs in tribal-cultures pretty much all over the globe. Apparently there's a very good & simple reason for it: Traditionally, when people moved through forested, jungle or other 'rough-terrains', the man would be "on point" just in case there was any danger (snakes, wild animals, tribal enemies etc.) on their path. He was also the first line of defense in case of trouble.

Somehow (like many other customary phenomena) this particular routine has stood the test of time and is still very much evident in many parts of the world.

Geez, shopping malls are more dangerous than I'd imagined. Seriously, other than school children out on a field trip how often do you see roaming groups of people all walking in a single line? (I'm discounting limitations imposed by available physical space.)

Upon reflection, I think the OP simply observed a cultural difference. We westerners are often in hurry, for all sorts of reasons, so we walk faster. Thais are a bit more relaxed, it's hot here and walking at more than a snail's pace means an unnecessary expenditure of energy.