New City Bus Rates ?

Gonzo the Face

It makes zero sense to double their rates so soon after starting.

I would say that rumour is busted

I see the #2 route busses all the time... I think though, to the casual observer, they're not likely to notice a bus that comes by only every 15 minutes or so...

... I think though, to the casual observer, they're not likely to notice a bus that comes by only every 15 minutes or so...

How true – I would definitely use them more if…

they travelled a useful route (the best seems to be number 10 which swings around the moat and loops back out to Airport Plaza)

and as suggested they are a lot more frequent (I wait and wait and after 10 minutes or so I get worn down by the persistent tooting from the song taews and swap a potential air-con 12 baht ride for a 15 - 20 baht open aired alternative).

Never mind I still get there so no problem just a shame about the buses.

Edited by SamSipEt

Can anyone verify or give any input to the fact/rumor that the new City Buses have raised the rates to 20 baht ??

Gonzo

Wrong. I take Bus no. 6 all the time and it costs ten Baht; line 10 is 12B. The songthaew based lines (4, 8) seem to have vanished. For line 6 be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes.

It seems that they make every effort to discourage people from taking the bus. A 15 min frequency, as originally advertised, would represent an attractive transport system; thirty minutes is definitely too long, especially if the intervals are unpredictable. In most places you have to wait for the bus in full sunshine, and be careful: The bus will just speed by on the passing lane if you don't flag it down in time.

Despite all this, line 6 has become extremely popular with students, housewives, monks and a few farangs, and the buses are often nearly full during rush hours. I believe that a price hike to 15 Baht would be acceptable to most users, especially if the intervals wre reset to 15 minutes. I just have doubts about the integrity or intelligence of the management.

The songthaew based lines (4, 8) seem to have vanished

Or maybe, with thousands of them running around anyway, how is anyone to know who's the Route Vehicle? A case of not seeing the forest for the trees, perhaps? :o