Woman Dies In Jump From Bangkok Apartment Blaze

webfact

Woman dies in jump from Bangkok apartment blaze
By Digital Media

1370578747902.jpg

BANGKOK, June 7 – A woman attempting to escape a fire at an apartment in Phaholyothin Soi 26 was killed from falling to her death instead.

The fire broke out on the third floor of the Success Inn and the victim apparently decided the fire was more threatening.

Identified as Jurairat Insorn, 49, the victim jumped from the building and died from injuries sustained in the fall.

Firefighters spent 30 minutes to control the blaze and helped trapped residents. Rescue workers were searching the premises to be certain that no victims were left in the building.

The cause of the fire is under investigation. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-07

This is such a sad story and as a recently retired fire fighter I hope that the fire service made every effort to save her first before entering the building. The golden rule......if you see someone hanging out of a burning building you get a ladder up and a get them down as soon as possible. You never leave them. I hope that there is a full investigation. We'll see.

• Like 2

UPDATE:
Exec leaps to her death trying to escape fire

Supachai Phetthewee
The Nation

30207842-01_big.jpg
A resident waits for assistance on the third floor of a Bangkok apartment that caught fire in Chatuchak district. He was later rescued by fire-fighters, but a guest jumped to her death, trying to escape the blaze.

BANGKOK: -- A top executive of a construction-material company died after jumping from the fifth floor of a Bangkok apartment trying to escape a fire yesterday morning.

The fire also injured seven others.

It took fire-fighters about 20 minutes to control the blaze, which started on the third floor of the eight-storeyed Success Bangkok Apartment, and safely evacuate all other victims.

The building, with 42 rooms, is located on Phaholyothin Soi 26 in Bangkok's Chatuchak district.

Julairat Boonsom, 49, the managing director of Rom Pho Products Co, died at the scene after she decided to jump out of a window when a fire broke out in the building.

She was a guest, who had come to spend the night with her friend Praditha Worachart, a regular tenant, as they planned to go to work together later in the day.

"I heard someone screaming 'Fire'. So, I told her that we should try to escape," Praditha said.

She recounted that when they opened the door of her room, they found thick smoke. During the confusion and in a moment of panic, Praditha said Julairat decided to jump out of the window.

"She's well loved by colleagues and subordinates. Everyone is shocked," Praditha said. She said Rom Pho Products is based in Lamphun province. Julairat usually travelled between Lamphun and Chiang Mai. Lately she had been deputed to Surat Thani and had just returned to Bangkok to report on her work.

Chatuchak District Office director Noppakij Sanyanuchit said Julairat would have been safe had she waited for help to arrive.

An investigation has been opened to determine the cause of the fire, which started in Room No 315, the only room damaged by the fire.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-08

This is sad.

I travel a lot and stay over 150 night per year in hotels. I always check out the fire escapes and optional escape routes. I try never to stay higher than the 7th floor (not sure what the Boys in Yellow have for equipment here but most countries can reach the 7th floor). I never used to do this until I was involved in a hotel fire in Germany in which I ignored the fire warning for a bit at 03:00 in the morning, smelled the smoke and got out of Dodge fast.

If the alarm goes off, get out. Don't try and call the front desk which is either unoccupied or inundated with calls from other guests. I keep a grab bag on the desk (Passport, wallet, phone etc..)

Obvious questions in this case: Was there an unlocked fire escape (or any at all)? Were there fire alarms? Fire extinguising system? Fire extinguishers?

• Like 1

OMFG........I have just seen the picture which wasn't on when I wrote my last post........I think that the firefighters clearly need more training on the simple task of pitching a ladder against a building....this is week 1 of firefighting school......how the hell is the BIG chap supposed to get on that ladder?...everyone knows a ladder should go against the wall not facing out wards leaning against a AC bracket.......this picture says it all.......as a professional firefighter it makes me sick.........these would some of the questions I would be asking.......

Looking at that picture the fire has been going for some time.....why, bearing in mind it's in a built up area, did it take so long to start a rescue? I wonder how long it took the fire service to get there.

I wonder how quick that ladder went up? I'm guessing the firefighter's didn't want to go up it, to help him down so how the hell is that guy supposed to get on it?

I can imagine there were NO smoke detectors? If its a apartment block, why not?

There was only one room damaged? Really, look at the photo.....it's affected 2 floors.....

I would seriously be asking questions of the firefighting actions carried out? And that of the fire commander in charge......

And finally, she would have been safe if she had waited for help...........? There was no fire in the room and she just jumped out of the window.....really, I think that needs to be looked at? For her to just jump 3 floors, I am guessing that the fire was in the room or it was completely smoke logged....maybe, maybe not? But I would be asking that of the friend.....

Sorry for ranting, it just makes me so mad.......simple things can save lives.........smoke detectors in every apartment would be a start........come on Thai government......encourage people to buy these........advertise it on tv.......

• Like 1