Tourist Visa With A Temporary Passport Problem!

Hi all,

I recently got back from Vientienne and was denied a tourist visa as I'm holding a temporary passport(South African).

Apparently, all they could give me was a single entry Transit visa (TS) which only gave me 30 days!!

I used a temporary passport about 5 years ago and was actually issued the tourist visa without any problems(from Vientienne), now they say that the rules have been changed. I then asked for the reason and they could not give me a reason?? Usual BS- there probably isn't any logical reason.

Anyway, I thought I should try another Embassy like Savannaket, but worried about being turned down again.

My new passport takes 3 to 4 months to be processed so I'm in a bit of a difficult cituation.

Has anyone had a similar issue or advise on what to do?

I assume I could possible get an extention on that visa in Bangkok but not sure how long and if its even possible!

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

My temporary passport is valid for 1 year, therefore it shouldn't have be a problem to get a tourist visa for that passport.

I have also contacted my Embassy but unfortunately all they can do is try speed up the process for getting my new passport, It takes 3 to 6 months apparently.

My temporary passport is valid for 1 year, therefore it shouldn't have be a problem to get a tourist visa for that passport.

I have also contacted my Embassy but unfortunately all they can do is try speed up the process for getting my new passport, It takes 3 to 6 months apparently.

As others have said, dont believe they issue visa's anymore on a temporary PP..

Why dont you contact this crowd below , seems they can fast track a SA passport 7 to 14 days dependent on how much you want to pay, grant not cheap, but one suspects its better than waiting 3-6 months combined with all the possible hassles of not having a full PP

http://www.safasttrack.com/passport-services/

I was denied a tourist visa in Vientiane earlier this year - but I was then granted one in Savannkhet !!!! - I personally talked to the staff there - they were very friendly! It may be worth a try, but do research the travel part to save on journey hassles :)

The MFA and Vientiane embassy websites do not mention emergency passport at all. I would assume they would be treated the same as regular passports. I would try to contact one of the other nearby embassies or consulates for their requirements.

MFA website info: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15405-General-information.html

I don't even think it's called a transit visa, I believe it's a 30 day exception. As for the length of issuing a new passport, I was upset when it was 21 days at the Canadian Consulate here in Bangkok. I really pity you ZAers.

Now I'm worried too. Does anyone know if their issuing Non-B's on provisional passports?

Temporary passports are usually given on the spot in embassies, and have limited safety features, hence higher risks of having forged ones around.

They are usually issued in emergencies (i.e. lost passport), where people need to travel back home and need to transit/stop over in other countries.

Proper passports nowadays are only fabricated in the country of origin (or Hong Kong I think for the UK passports) which is why it can take a little while to get one.

So no visa's are issued in them by Thai embassies/consulates, they will however let you in on the regular 30 day visa exempt rule (for qualifying countries).

Unfortunately the provisional passport is permanent. I became a national through marriage and revived a passport. After leaving to come to Thailand, they took it back and gave me a provisional until such time that I return and do 5 more years id uninterupted residency. If the immigration won't give me a visa, I'll need to change nationality and all of the business complications that that will involve. No small headache.

Edited by intrepidphil

I know a fella who had his passport stolen. it was circa 1993 in Chiang Mai. The Americans would only issue a 1 year passport because the stolen one wound up in the hands of a criminal who was trying to enter Indonesia. He had to renew the passport every year for 10 years..... 4 of which were living and working in CM. Thailand would not issue a visa for longer than the validity of the PP, and the renewal process required 6 months. He had to start the renewal process 6 months before the expiration, and juggle visa expiry in order to balance the two. His Non Immigrant B visa would expire, he would go get a Tourist visa as it neared Renewal day.

In short the only way around this was for him to beg the US consulate to coordinate and expedite things for him.

I think you are in the same boat and cannot expect the Thai authorities to understand or care.

As was said before, best bet is to go to the S.A. Embassy and talk to the authorities.

Proper passports nowadays are only fabricated in the country of origin (or Hong Kong I think for the UK passports) which is why it can take a little while to get one.

New British passports are printed in the UK these days, although we Brit expats still have to send our applications to Hong Kong, at least for now.

hi, on a similar subject, if I have lost my passport and have a visa in it what will happen to that visa?

Do I need a new one now or will there be a record of the old one?

A visa wil be lost, but your permission to stay will be placed in the new passport when it arrives.

So in practise with a multiple entry visa you lose the unused entries.