Where Is The Profit Of A 150 Baht Buffet?

Sandman77

In many Asian countrys and also Europe I pay 10 times more then in Thailand!

I still not understand where the profit is?

Sure Thais eat less the. The half, but how a foot price calculation bill looks like?

In Isaan we have evening seafood buffet for 150 baht eat like a horse and good rating on trip Advisor

In some Pattaya buffet food stalls. You must pay fine when you

Not eat everything finish!

Not a question of profit but of income and cash flow in a low service to help the fixed costs?

Cheap buffets usually make the profits on customers filling up with the cheaper starters. Try a bit of everything, then not a lot of space for the

more expensive dishes.

When you get to that level of such a low cost, it probably is to get cash in, without losing money on an average customer, just to help

to keep up with those fixed costs.

Can you give any examples of such a cheap buffet?

Usually in these cheaper buffets drinks are not included - guess they make some money on selling drinks?

Usually at those cheap buffets the customers drink naam poaw.

Been to more than one buffet where they charged even for water....

Usually in these cheaper buffets drinks are not included - guess they make some money on selling drinks?

And put a 1 1/2 hour time limit on diners

It's not like you get first quality meat at those barbecue buffets, also you have to cook the meat yourself which gets quickly boring and the side dishes are really cheap :whistling:

• Like 1

I don't know how you spell it, but Muk ah tah is great value for the money, which is usually about 150 baht per person. I think they make up in volume what they lose in cost. I also think the huge markup in beer and soft drinks makes up for meat dishes that cost more to supply.

I've been to a buffet where they charge per seat, regardless of what you have eaten or drank. Thats just extras. Yes thats correct, I paid for a seat.

Really what do you get ? and where do you get it ?

down on the main road near me, that's about 10 km away........ The 99 baht buffet a few years ago moved to the other side of the road, the place used to be a 2nd hand car tent. now think it cost 120 baht buffet...... you cook yourself, NO wages for a chef or kitchen staff. plain wood tables and benches, No linen No laundry bills, food is pretty cheap stuff really, No idea why the place is always packed........... I did try the place, and had no idea so got 5 small scoops at the end of Ice cream cost 50 baht !!!!!, the lady that come to the Village on here motorbike every day charges 10 baht ! same amount...

NO will not go back as is 100% NOT value for money... I can go to a Hotel and get a Buffet Lunch for 199 baht, far better food, far nicer place, air con, waiters, free soft drinks, cakes, ice cream and as many much as you want..... Value for money VERY much better..........

Another place cost 350 baht, and yes cost more but the food is much better, even a 5* Hotel Buffet Lunch @ 450 baht often do 6 for the price of 4, so if 6 of use are going is a better option for what you get for the money...

So the 150 baht Buffet for me NO thanks, much better to sit at the side of the road and have a plate or 2 @ 30 baht a meal.. 2 plates = I am very full and cost 60 baht, it is already cooked ready to eat.

I guess the obvious answer, assuming these establishments remain open for a few years, is that they effectively manage their wholesale food costs and make extra margin on ice and drinks. Maybe best not to ask how they manage to keep their food costs low. ;) Better to remain puzzled and/or blissfully unaware.

I think they make up in volume what they lose in cost.

Yeah, that should work. Selling at a loss, make up for it in volume. Not sure that math works out?

Maybe what you mean is that their average incremental profit per cover is small, but owing to volume, driven in part by the perceived value, it ends up being enough to offer a sustainable profit?

In addition to the low price, a single fixed price also makes it easy for large groups to get together and have it easy for everyone to figure out how much they have to kick in for the tab.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

There are a few places in Chiang Mai that do buffets for about this price. The Thai food is OK and the few Western dishes are pretty mediocre, but it is not a bad thing to do every once in a while. However, normally, if I am going to eat Thai food, I rather choose what I want, get it fresh and - as someone else said - pay 60 baht for a couple of plates.

Maybe I'm picky but at those 150bt cook it yourself buffets I'm bored and disinterested after about 75bt's worth, so they make money off me. Put me in-front of one of those 399bt 4 star hotel buffets though, and I'll show you some damage.biggrin.png

• Like 1

nothing wrong with them in my opinion... in fact, i love 'em ! (& never gotten ill)

155 baht at one of my favourites last week in Chiangmai... mustn't grumble (once a week is fine.. food is standard fare, atmosphere is priceless)

• Like 1

150 Baht ! Yes; things have gone up a lot these days; just four years ago we used to go to a really good one at 99 Baht per head in CM, always plenty of choice too.

Same here. 99 Baht per head. The whole family and others would pile into 2 trucks and head off to the buffet once a month. They could eat a lot too.

1st bottle of water each was free and paid after that. Paid for the beers.

Seems to me there was not a lot of profit in the buffet itself but in the sale of beers and extra water. I'd think of it more like a bar where they make money on each beer sold and these buffets would pack in a lot of people which equalled quite a lot of beer sales too.

I like the wok cook alone, then I not have the low quality street kitchen fat !

The discount price for restaurant owners buy a lot of same seafood and vegetables must be high, when I beginn to calculate what it would coasts buy everything on market I only loose money in calculation bill!

After eating at a "Moo ka tah " place i can honestly say never again ill for a week a haven for e coli let alone food safety handling .Cheap food is cheap

You were supposed to put the meat on the BBQ before eating it!

You were supposed to put the meat on the BBQ before eating it!

Referring to that metal-domed cooking utensil as a BBQ strains credulity. It is barely a few degrees above ambient temperature, and e-coli breeds faster than you can cook, as people get impatient waiting four hours for a tiny bit of mystery meat to cook so they scarf it down, and get the trots.

I've been to a buffet where they charge per seat, regardless of what you have eaten or drank. Thats just extras. Yes thats correct, I paid for a seat.

you can afford it ,

You guys are funny, and some of you are cheap charlies. Mook ah tah is best with a group of people who are all enjoying their time together. It's a bit boring and not good value for just one or two. I've had mook ah tah about a dozen time and ever got sick once. But, I'm quite used to cooking for just myself in Canada, so the few times we cook mook ah tah it is kind of fun. The combination of veggies, spiced water, pork fat and the drippings from frying pork and chicken makes a pretty good soup. But, it takes a group of people to make it happen.

• Like 2

Leftovers, drinks, volume and ice 3 baht a bag wholesale sell 10-20 baht a small bucket. 4 buckets per bag. 100-200 buckets.

Now he'll say the ice was free. biggrin.png

... and they always seem to set the ice bucket as close to the hot bbq grill as possible so it'll melt fast and you'll have to buy a second bucket.

• Like 1