Most Suitable Visa

Hi,

I would like to know the "best" visa available to me for long non working stays in Thailand. I am male, over 50, British, living in but non resident in the middle east.

I do not want a "retirement" visa as I am advised these are very difficult to change at a later date should one wish to avail of the opportunity to work.

The local Thai embassy tells me that without a job the best they can do is a two, maybe three month tourist visa.

Can I get a one year renewable multiple re entry visa that requires the usual 90 day border run?

One last thing, I am having a house built in Thailand at present and intend to stay when its finished.

Many thanks for any advice.

The simple anser is no! The best you are likely to get is a double (maybe triple) entry tourist visa giving stays of 60 days each. Each 60 days is extendable by a further 30 days by a visit to immigration (and 1900 Baht). So, a double entry visa will get you 2x90 day stays with just one visa run. A LOT of people are using this route, simply running down to Penang for a new visa every 6 months.

Some other options:-

You say you are building a house, what vehicle are you using to allow land ownership? If you have a company you may be able to get a multi entry non-B.

The consulate at Hull MAY issue a non-O on the grounds of 'investigating retirement options in Thailand' (worth a call or email to them) although the chances of getting a second visa on the same grounds is not good.

I don't know where you got the information that changing a retirement extension would be a problem. AFAIK it is not.

As for a multi entry O visa you may be able to obtain in your home country or from Penang. From Penang you will require proof of 200k or more in a Thai bank account from recent reports. This is for those over 50 years of age only.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

The land originally was by renewable lease but is now being changed to Company ownership.

regards,

Derrick

The simple anser is no! The best you are likely to get is a double (maybe triple) entry tourist visa giving stays of 60 days each. Each 60 days is extendable by a further 30 days by a visit to immigration (and 1900 Baht). So, a double entry visa will get you 2x90 day stays with just one visa run. A LOT of people are using this route, simply running down to Penang for a new visa every 6 months.

Some other options:-

You say you are building a house, what vehicle are you using to allow land ownership? If you have a company you may be able to get a multi entry non-B.

The consulate at Hull MAY issue a non-O on the grounds of 'investigating retirement options in Thailand' (worth a call or email to them) although the chances of getting a second visa on the same grounds is not good.