Traditional Thai Performing Arts

greenwanderer108

Has anybody actually watched (and was able to follow) a Ligay (ลิเก) show lately...

In my oppinion, Ligay tops all of Thai classical/traditional arts. It combines all the top notch authentic Thai performances...The actors/actresesses must be more diligent than say, Natasin and Khon...as they (Ligay performers) not only must 'Rum' (Thai classical dance) but also Say-pha/Glorn (Thai classical verse/song) as well as communicate/act out difficult dialogues...

The stories are more realistic/down to earth than traditional natasin/khon plays---which are more based on fictional/mythical stories from literature. Ligay stories tend to be based more on historical and social issues, stories, incidents. And on top of this, the latest trends in it have emphasized the role of the joker/jester...as well as added greater dynamic to the villian(s).

Some groups/stories lean more towards the humorous/soap opera style...while others will tell historical events/affairs with interesting character make-up....

Perhaps one of the biggest highlights of Ligay is the beatiful, emotional, background music...Thai xylophones, drums, and flutes!! Got to love it!

If you haven't yet sat down, watched and listened to Ligay, I highly reccomend it as an authentic Thai experience!!! There are plenty shows throughout Thailand this time of year, mostly at the temple festivals (i.e. ordinations, marriages, funerals) as well as many other places. If you can't find any or just don't have the time, buy a VCD from BIg C or wherever for real cheap.

I suggest Naresuan for starters!

actually i am interested just u should be more specific with what u are talking about since i am not in thailand and have only been exposed to the luuktoong, morlum and thaieurotrash music that come on cd's and tapes the guys bring here:

if u have links to music on the net or etc, write in thai (and transliteration), i can give my bf when he's here time to look up the links... (he reads thai)....

tvmag001.jpg

4.gif

A few example of what it ลิเก might look like...Let me assure you, these performers are real performers/artists. Not just pretty boys/girls who get on stage and lip sing to a choreographed music video...

All the singing, music, lines, verses, dancing is live and authentic if it is in fact ลิเก The performers themself are diligent and professional in that they don't have libraries/books of their material but have mastered it for years on their own as Ligay groups rarely have formal rehearsals...one must train independently to a perfect standard before he/she will be ready to perform.

As far as the music goes, it is very similar to the เสภา Sepha you will hear and read in the traditional literature/poetry that the Rum Thai dancers dance to...however, as you will see in Ligay, the performers sing, dance, and act out the 'play' or soap opera story backed by a full Thai classical band

The stories/content can be anything from a historical account/war story to a modern soap love triangle / comedy stand up style...

Lots of variety in Ligay. If you want to find VCDs/DVDs of some of the stuff, they are abundant everywhere in Thailand i.e. Big C, CD shops...

Ofcourse, I've seen a few available online if you would prefer to shop via eccommerce...Do a google on Ligay VCD...or Likay VCD....or in Thai ลิเก +VCD or +DVD....you'll be amazed at what's available online.

Here's one estore I found on searchin

http://www.ethaicd.com/list.php?page=2&cat...s=&by=&advance=

So Bina, you say your bf can read thai? Is he Thai or just a former expat/traveller? Cheers...If you really can find an appreciation for true art, I think you will enjoy Ligay...

korat thai from poor family migrant worker here in israel but he appreciates fine art and music and has a musical ear and an artists' eye .... cant afford to buy at moment but links for seeing/hearing would be appreaciated....

I highly recomend this one

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=19808

I got it for 119 baht at Big C...3 cds and roughly 3-4 hours long. Good quality. Beautiful verse and dance...and great historical storyline...

About the ordeal with King Burangnong and his Burmese forces prior to the first sack of Ayutthaya...His master plan is to overwhelm the Thai capital from 3 directions...however one major barrier is the Northern flank which is protected/backed by Phitsanuloke ruler, Mahathamaracha.

So Burangnong overwhelms phitsanuloke and makes a deal with Mahathamracha not to interfer or help out King Pra Mahin when Burmese forces sack Ayutthaya. Mahathamaracha is forced to comply with the Burmese king sending his daughter, Supan Galaya, and son, Ong Dum-Naresuan back with the Burmese King to Burma as insurance that Mahathamarcha will keep to the deal.

And the rest is pretty much history...The Ligay version is really artistic and beautuful that'll bring tears to your eyes :o (I'm not a ######)

..A MUST SEE !