Road Rage Australian Hurls A Large Stone At Pattaya Taxi

Rimmer

another quality oz expat whistling.gif

idiot. he is Austrian not Australian.

Based on the reports perhaps you should go to the top of the idiots class.

cheesy.gif He may be just a little confused.

Australia was originally called Austrialia by Pedro Fernandez back in the early 1600's named after the Monarchy of Austria and meant Austria of the south. The "I" was removed to become Australia.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

idiot. he is Austrian not Australian.

???unsure.png

Aussies do this in OZ as well, sometimes I am ashamed to be one

Fortunately not all are as stupid as him...

My advice is never dive a vehicle in Thailand until you understand the workings of the big nut behind the steering wheels of Thai driven vehicles whistling.gif

Its ok to drive and endanger people???

I live here and not one day goes past that some idiot Thai does something stupid in a car or bike. There are laws to uphold and expats tend to obey them while Thais dont.

Yeah, Id be pissed off too...

If Thai's weren't so selfish and thick, then many incidents like this wouldn't happen. -sic-

• Like 1

not all that long after I arrived here to stay we were driving in the centre lane and there was a car on the inside lane(3 lanes each way) driving very eratically, as we passed him he swerved over towads us and almost took out the side of the car, the idiot was talking on his mobile phone. I rolled down the window and flipped the bird and told him to watch what he was doing and we kept driving. A bit further up the road we pulled up at a set of light and this idiot pulled up beside us and wanted to have a go at me so I went to oblige but my wife went ballistic and took off with this idiot chasing us.Have to admit she is a pretty good driver when she wants to be and lost him pretty quick then explained to me that there are a lot of locals that loose face if you tell them off and they get you to get out of the car then either shoot you or stab you. She also said the here flipping the bird means get f...ed not up yours/sit on it as it does in Australia. Doesnt stop me from flipping it occasionally but only when the idots deserve it, dont throw rocks though, that is just a bit overboard but understandable with some of the thai drivers.

Your wife is right, you need to be careful here even just using your horn. Use it as a warning that you are ignoring a red light and will be blowing through the intersection at 100kph so get the <deleted> out of my way is fine. But use it as in, you just cut me up, are an idiot sort of way after the event then they can get very upset.

Had the same exact situation as you when I was riding a bike, car moved straight over on me from lane 1 to 2 causing me to swerve into 3 to miss him, luckily was nothing coming up behind me.

Gave him a you <deleted> blast on the horn as I passed him. next thing I know he is full beam on chasing me down. I pulled over quick and he pulled in front of me, as I went to go round him he got out of the car pulled a gun and pointed it at me. I did not hang around and he was back chasing me down with his full beams on, luckily we hit heavy traffic coming up to Suk and I lost him. This was Pattaya Nua 8pm.

Edited by kevkev1888

It does seem an odd reaction from the Oz tourist. I doubt that the report contains all the information and seems very one sided. Maybe a previous incident(s) with this taxi driver or others. He may simply be a crazed tourist.

But hurling a rock through the window of the taxi is a no-no in any country. He is lucky that those restraining him did not give him a good kicking while waiting for the police to arrive.

If he is new to thailand then its not that odd a reaction. Back in the nanny state many australians are very aggressive bordering on the bogan / feral side of human nature. He will simply join the list of being one of the bogan australians that have lost it over here.

Soon he will no doubt have his face on the australian media sites

• Like 1

On the subject of car damage and bad drivers: I watched a farang impatiently drive out of a parking spot scraping the parked car next to him. Needless-to-say he drove off. This was on Carrefour/Big C car park yesterday about 1.30pm. My wife witnessed it & after all the years of abuse I've given her about Thai drivers, she shook her head and merely said he had a 'black heart.'

That comment is not warranted. These sort of idiots are all too common in a lot of western countries however I must admit the finger in the air sign is all too common in Australia these days, also unwarranted road rage.

Obviously he thought he could get away with that sort of behavour being outside his home country.

BUT DO NO NOT TAR EVERYONE WITH THE SAME BRUSH!

Sent from another Australian

Sounds to me like the Taxi driver was at least partly to blame. Doesn't say what provoked the Australian to give him the fingers (If it was just the taxi pulling up next to him, then he shouldn't give the fingers to him, if he offered him "services of ill repute" or to take him somewhere for an excessive price, then giving the fingers is justified).

No, the correct response to a taxi driver offering you 'services of ill repute' (in Pattaya no less, ROFLMFAO), or quoting an excessive price, is a laugh and a 'no thanks'. You may as well point a gun at a Thai rather then give us the 'finger'...

Two different newspapers & 2 different angles to this.

The Aussie was drunk according to the 2nd report posted. If that is the case, many people make mistakes or take offence at some triviality when they are the worse for wear regards drink. Maybe a former incident, we obviously do not know.

Yet, that was an expensive throw of a brick.

It does seem an odd reaction from the Oz tourist. I doubt that the report contains all the information and seems very one sided. Maybe a previous incident(s) with this taxi driver or others. He may simply be a crazed tourist.

But hurling a rock through the window of the taxi is a no-no in any country. He is lucky that those restraining him did not give him a good kicking while waiting for the police to arrive.

If he is new to thailand then its not that odd a reaction. Back in the nanny state many australians are very aggressive bordering on the bogan / feral side of human nature. He will simply join the list of being one of the bogan australians that have lost it over here.

Soon he will no doubt have his face on the australian media sites

then his proud parents can tell the world how proud they are that bred him, plus all the crap that he is a good little boy and would never do this, etc, etc

Lucky - he is still alive. Totally stupid. Does not matter what the whole story is.

Self restraint is so necessary in this country.

I am sure that most farang readers on this site ... have at many times felt like doing the same thing.

But, if you do things like this, - you certainly risk hospitalization or death. This guy got off light.

Must have paid some good Baht !!

• Like 1

That must have been the taxi drivers story as i'm sure there was more to it than that ! but that doesn't excuse what the Aussie done.

Not necessarily have any thing to do with the taxi driver.

A couple of us were talking about this very thing the other night. In North America road rage is so common it never even gets a mention in the press where as here in Thailand it is so rare it becomes front page news. Generally involving a farong.

I have no vehicle what so ever but at times I can feel a little road rage just sitting in the back of a tuck tuck or Sonhgtel.

I know a fellow who has been here about 17 years and he still gets mad at the Thai drivers. Expects every one to drive like they were in North America. (probably the road rage hub of the world). What has always puzzled me is how patient the Thai drivers can be but the second they get on the elevator they are reaching for the close door button.crazy.gif

Perhaps the Aussie guy just tried to hail a Taxi, but the driver refused to go for less than 500 Baht, why the Aussie showed him his finger. I am sure that the taxidriver had the red light turned on, showing he is available, even he was on his way home. That would also piss me off.

Still happens often for me in BKK, that Taxi´s refuse to take the trip, even after it is now possible to report drivers, who refuse to take you. Next time, I will leave the back door of the Taxi open and take a photo of the Taxi for reporting the refusal, to wherever it can be reported.

That must have been the taxi drivers story as i'm sure there was more to it than that ! but that doesn't excuse what the Aussie done.

Not necessarily have any thing to do with the taxi driver.

A couple of us were talking about this very thing the other night. In North America road rage is so common it never even gets a mention in the press where as here in Thailand it is so rare it becomes front page news. Generally involving a farong.

I have no vehicle what so ever but at times I can feel a little road rage just sitting in the back of a tuck tuck or Sonhgtel.

I know a fellow who has been here about 17 years and he still gets mad at the Thai drivers. Expects every one to drive like they were in North America. (probably the road rage hub of the world). What has always puzzled me is how patient the Thai drivers can be but the second they get on the elevator they are reaching for the close door button.crazy.gif

'What has always puzzled me is how patient the Thai drivers'

You must be in a special, reserved, well-mannered part of Thailand. Everywhere I've been they rush to pull in front of you at the lights just to gain a metre or so, tail gate and under take you.

• Like 2

Its ok to drive and endanger people???

I live here and not one day goes past that some idiot Thai does something stupid in a car or bike. There are laws to uphold and expats tend to obey them while Thais dont.

Yeah, Id be pissed off too...

If Thai's weren't so selfish and thick, then many incidents like this wouldn't happen. -sic-

Why do you live here or visit here if you hate Thais so much?

Sounds to me like the Taxi driver was at least partly to blame. Doesn't say what provoked the Australian to give him the fingers (If it was just the taxi pulling up next to him, then he shouldn't give the fingers to him, if he offered him "services of ill repute" or to take him somewhere for an excessive price, then giving the fingers is justified).

However regardless of whether giving the fingers were justified or not, the taxi driver parking up to "confront" the Aussie isn't really on either, throwing a rock at the taxi isn't justified either, but then it's basically just an escalating situation, for which both could probably be charged with something (The Aussie caused the most property damage, but the Taxi driver caused the most physical injury.... tit for tat)

So many of the Taxi drivers carry pipes or something of that nature. It seems the Taxi driver was not happy with the finger and wanted to cause trouble by stopping, as he knows very well other Thais will support him - the driver should have know that most tourist or those that live there are somewhat intoxicated by that time and take such insults with a pinch of salt and carried on driving.