Anyone Who Have Experience With Cb400's And Lives In Bangkok?

Hi Guys,

<This question is more related to bikers who are located in Bangkok, are you living somewhere else feel free to read on but maybe you can be of less help>

A couple of days ago I became the happy owner of a Honda CB400 s-series (1994) with who I hope to make many, many safe miles.

I was lucky to get all the legal papers and green book with it. And have a nice price.

In the knowledge that the bike is a 19-Years old I surely don't expect a brand new one. But since this is my first

big bike I thought a CB400 is a perfect machine to begin with due to the low seating and maneuverability. I always loved

the looks of the bike and so far also the driving is very good. (as far as I know).

Of course the previous owner said the bike was in immaculate state which I hope to believe. The guy was a great guy so no offence intend but,

every seller would have said the same words. I know that the bike have no leaking and runs smoothly.

I have some technical knowledge about cars, and mopeds but like I said this is my first big bike. My Honda click which I bought new just goes to the garage when the book says I need to.. ;-). I didn't received any maintenance records for this bike so I would like to have it checked by someone who knows more about these kind of bikes. (coolant level, Oil, gears, brakes) If I should bring it to the local Somchai he would notice that I do not have much knowledge about this and we all can only guess about the invoices that shall be made...

So I am looking for a fellow who have experience with these bikes and want to take it for a test spin to hopefully give me some advice of what I need to have checked or fixed. It is not about the money but no one wants unnecessary fixes. Also it would be nice to share some knowledge.

All this not have to take more than 30 minutes of your precious time and I would be happy to buy you a coffee/beer or two afterwards. I could come with the bike to your place.

Thanks.

I have 2 VFR400s, which are very similar to the CBR400s, many interchangeable parts. I have had mine for over a year, and can say as long as you do your regular maintenance, they are great little bikes. I live off Sukhumvit near the Onnut BTS and have 2 shops in the area that are very knowledgeable about these bikes and can do all the maintenance and repairs that you are not comfortable doing yourself. I normally do my own work, but sometimes the heavy lifting is too much for one person. If you want to come around I can have a good rip on your bike and let you know if anything falls off! And if anything does, I can point you to the correct shop.

There is a garage on Asoke Montri Road.

These are the google maps coordinates 13.753738,100.564333

Very knowledgeable people dealing with all kinds of older and newer bikes.

Was about to mention the same place, also in Soi 7 Ratchada are a few local "Somchai" shops but they work on a lot of bigger bikes, Ducati, Kawasaki etc

• Like 1

If the places already recommended don't work out, I used to use a guy on
Rama 4 (2nd/3rd shop front in, on the junction/lights with Kasem Rat - a
stone's throw from Tesco/Carrefour/ Big C). Sold the bike now, so no
need for him.

A very unsuspecting little workshop, but he has always been great, never
falsified work to be done, and remains a busy-bee; normally has at least one
1000cc+ stripped down and in progress.

Further, when I first took my bike to him and asked to check wear on
engine (t'was 21yrs old with no work history), he spent 2 days opening up and
studying its condition/performance. The upshot was, he just re-lubed and
renewed gaskets, telling me there is absolutely no reason to do anything more
to it; would've been a prime opportunity for him to make a few thousand, if he
were dodgy. Then had issue-free riding for 3 years.

If the places already recommended don't work out, I used to use a guy on

Rama 4 (2nd/3rd shop front in, on the junction/lights with Kasem Rat - a

stone's throw from Tesco/Carrefour/ Big C). Sold the bike now, so no

need for him.

A very unsuspecting little workshop, but he has always been great, never

falsified work to be done, and remains a busy-bee; normally has at least one

1000cc+ stripped down and in progress.

Further, when I first took my bike to him and asked to check wear on

engine (t'was 21yrs old with no work history), he spent 2 days opening up and

studying its condition/performance. The upshot was, he just re-lubed and

renewed gaskets, telling me there is absolutely no reason to do anything more

to it; would've been a prime opportunity for him to make a few thousand, if he

were dodgy. Then had issue-free riding for 3 years.

Passing this shop 4 times a day but always wondered how he could work in there but indeed, there are always bikes standing..

Thank you very much for sharing this.!