Internet Versus Travel Agencies In Thailand For Domestic Flights

daveh

I'm planning a trip to Thailand soon. Normally, I book my Thai domestic flights (Air Asia, Bangkok Air, or Nok Air) well in advance on the internet. However, this trip I'm uncertain of my exact domestic travel dates and destinations.

It's been many years since I've purchased a "last minute" ticket from a travel agency in Bangkok. I'm curious what the price differential is between purchasing a ticket on the internet in advance or last minute, compared to from a travel agency last minute.

The reason I think about purchasing from an agent is I'm concerned about using my credit card in an internet cafe.

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

I fly around quite a bit, at least 1 flight a fortnight. Due to my work I can't book long in advance, only a couple of days if not the day before. I never use travel agencies as they need to make commissions right? So book all my flights, hotels etc online. As long as the first stage of tickets are available I have found that it makes no difference at all booking in advance or booking a week or even a couple of days before travel, certainly with domestic flights. Try http://www.skyscanner.co.th

Even with my international flights, I book them the week im leaving, doesn't make that much difference as long as seats available and on a couple of occasions I have got cheaper and been given a complementary upgrade to business class.

There is no price difference for going through a travel agent or buying direct. The price correlates with the destination, days before flight, and how many open seats there are. It has nothing to do with the mode of purchase.

I fly around quite a bit, at least 1 flight a fortnight. Due to my work I can't book long in advance, only a couple of days if not the day before. I never use travel agencies as they need to make commissions right? So book all my flights, hotels etc online. As long as the first stage of tickets are available I have found that it makes no difference at all booking in advance or booking a week or even a couple of days before travel, certainly with domestic flights. Try http://www.skyscanner.co.th

Even with my international flights, I book them the week im leaving, doesn't make that much difference as long as seats available and on a couple of occasions I have got cheaper and been given a complementary upgrade to business class.

Actually I found some travel agents can get a better price than on the net. example is the agent on Patpong in Bangkok. Cant recall the name. They always have good prices on First and business class.
  • Like 1

There is no price difference for going through a travel agent or buying direct. The price correlates with the destination, days before flight, and how many open seats there are. It has nothing to do with the mode of purchase.

this was my experience as well. in fact, the travel agencies book the flights on the internet right in front of me at the same price and without a fee on top, I guess they get a commission credited by the airline.

The last time I had to book a flight, I checked Thai air online. When I figured out my exact date, I happened to be in the Central Plaza near a travel agency. Turned out that the agency was a few hundred baht cheaper. Go figure.

Nok and AirAsia allow you to pay at 7-11 after you get a confirmation.

I went into the process of making a phantom booking to verify this with Air Asia, but I didn't see any possibility of paying at 7/11, they ask for your credit card number straight away. Or is it that you are given this option only after giving your credit card details and receiving the confirmation?

Nokair though comes with a 7/11 payment option straight away.

Edited by keestha
  • Like 1

+ for skyscanner. They even have apps for tablets and smart phones.

The last time I had to book a flight, I checked Thai air online. When I figured out my exact date, I happened to be in the Central Plaza near a travel agency. Turned out that the agency was a few hundred baht cheaper. Go figure.

I have looked online and checked the prices and then go down to the local airline travel/ticket office and I always get the same flight I looked on line for several thousands cheaper. I know it is cheaper to go to the local office of the airline you want to fly. This is in Pattaya and for Thai Air, both domestic and international

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

OP

Daveh

What country are you from?? I am in America. I try booking on the Air Asia website and never get confirmed. I called Capital One and they said that they accepted the charge from AA. But AA never booked me. Their live chat never happened and a message told me to fill out a form and some one would get in touch. Never happened. If i want to book an Air Asia flight while in the States I have a friend in Thailand do ti. Any help/ insight?

I use a credit card and so does my friend in Bangkok. Capital One said they could also do it using a Cash Advance.