Facebook/thai Unacceptable Images And Videos !

jasonr3255

Thought I would wander through the wife's and children's facebook tonight with them for a bit of fun.

Completely gobsmacked by the amount of underage nudity/ simulated sex videos, I have sent facebook an email and have told the wife to delete all friends who post or share such stuff. One particular video would almost certainly land Someone in the UK in serious trouble. Can't believe it's so riddled. All English people seem to be aware of the seriousness of posting such stuff. But the Thai youth seem to be unaware of the knock on effect to other countries where these type of posts are illegal.

Why are facebook doing nothing ???

FYI, FB, Youtube, etc, purposefully do not actively search for illegal or inappropriate content because that would make them legally responsible for such content.. It's 100% user moderated. At least this is what Steve Chen, the co-founder of Youtube said to my brother-in-law who is a friend of his. I would think it's also far too much data to monitor.

But the above commenters are right, seems anything goes on the Thai and Philipino FB's. I have always felt that it's due the Asian cultural trait of mind your own business. Fewer users are going to report content.

Edited by NomadJoe

I've seen some horrific images of accidents on Thai fb, that was only by chance. Luckily I haven't seen any of the things the OP talks about as my Thai fb friends are a bit older.

There was a recent report in the UK press that fb have held their hands up and admitted that they have to be more active in deleting inappropriate images and videos. That was partly driven by videos of people being beheaded by Islamic terrorists being allowed to stay on the newsfeeds by fb.

There was an interesting aside to that, child psychologists pointed out that many of these images would be deeply scarring to anyone, never mind kids and teens. In effect fb is allowing itself to be used as a vehicle for depravity. To me it's only a question of time before someone sues fb for allowing these images into their home, and if it hasn't happened already, then the sooner the better.

In the meantime, hit the report link and report any unsuitable content to fb.

ps. Here's a link that describes the kind of ( rightful ) pressure that fb is being subjected to, and an admission by them that their current policy isn't working.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/337683/facebook-learns-filter-content.html

Edited by theblether

I won't even have a Facebook account. From what I've heard, people you don't know all want to be your friends. The people I know who are on it are continuously being bombarded with messages.

I'm not really into facebook - I only joined last year - but I will stick up for it. Yes, my Thai wife has shown me shocking images and videos on her facebook account so I know what's out there, but I never receive them on mine. How? Well I only have 54 friends and I set my profile to private. Moreover, Facebook has built-in features to report content, flag it, unfriend people - it's all there.
In my view although illegal or shocking images and videos do sometimes 'go viral' - it says more about the friends you keep than facebook 'allowing' it. Even if it takes them 5 hours to remove a video, what does it say about all the people 'liking' and commenting and share the content? It's really not on facebook.
I'm happy with the service facebook provides - I've only added my real friends and family and it's a great way to share news and pictures.

• Like 2

I find facebook incredibly restricting limiting and strict in regards to behavior and content.

So i need to to do some research, where can i confirm this exists? whistling.gifrolleyes.gif (can not find angel emoticon)

The most shocking things i have ever seen are animal cruelty posts.

EVERYTHING else i can handle or look away.

I won't even have a Facebook account. From what I've heard, people you don't know all want to be your friends. The people I know who are on it are continuously being bombarded with messages.

Your friend doesn't know how to use the security settings. It's fairly easy to set it up so that no one can see you but your friends, and any tagging of photos or comments with your name on them have to be approved by you first.

I won't even have a Facebook account. From what I've heard, people you don't know all want to be your friends. The people I know who are on it are continuously being bombarded with messages.

Your friend doesn't know how to use the security settings. It's fairly easy to set it up so that no one can see you but your friends, and any tagging of photos or comments with your name on them have to be approved by you first. 

True. Its great for family and friends that live overseas. My wife sends pics of the baby to her relatives that don't get to see her often otherwise.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Facebook/thai Unacceptable Images And Videos !"

I would suggest that you read post #11 from ausiebebe, and learn/teach/inform the family about the control that is available for FB to restrict content.

When you say unacceptable, that is likely the wrong term, as at present your family are accepting the content on their machines. This is them to blame and not the social network provider, as there are options there to block.................wink.png

That would be their answer anyway......................

• Like 1

Have to agree, some of the things I've seen posted by Thais have been shocking. Just recently there were videos of two completely naked ladyboys dancing and endless others of naked girls doing the same, shockingly graphic pics/videos of the aftermath of road accidents, quite a few of individuals being beaten by groups, animal abuse and other disturbing images. I'm not a prude but it isn't suitable for children, members of facebook are supposed to be 16+ but in Thailand there are many kids as young as eight and nine who use facbook and they get to see it in their 'news' feed every day.

Logged into Facebook the other day and was greeted by some kid with their face melted off that apparently some friend of a friend had decided to "share".

I used the "report" image button as even by my standards I thought the image was totally inappropriate to be shown indiscriminately....but apparently this kind of image was fine according to the facebook censors (so not really sure what's the point of having the report button).

I guess they only block images like this one, lol:

Edited by Lite Beer

Come of think of it...who the hell would be a facebook content censor? Sounds like something out of clockwork orange...you sit at a desk all day with your screen constantly playing an endless feed of horrific images and videos...if you don't start out as a sicko you surely must end up one.

FB is a very useful tool for sharing photos and events with family and friends.

You don't have to accept any people you don't know as friends.

I get no unwanted messages at all.

You just need to select who can view your page, and what level of interaction you want with each of them.

If any of your friends post unsuitable content, you either unfriend them or hide their content, problem solved.

• Like 2

FB is a very useful tool for sharing photos and events with family and friends.

You don't have to accept any people you don't know as friends.

I get no unwanted messages at all.

You just need to select who can view your page, and what level of interaction you want with each of them.

If any of your friends post unsuitable content, you either unfriend them or hide their content, problem solved.

Exactly. Quite simple to control.

FYI, FB, Youtube, etc, purposefully do not actively search for illegal or inappropriate content because that would make them legally responsible for such content.. It's 100% user moderated. At least this is what Steve Chen, the co-founder of Youtube said to my brother-in-law who is a friend of his. I would think it's also far too much data to monitor.

But the above commenters are right, seems anything goes on the Thai and Philipino FB's. I have always felt that it's due the Asian cultural trait of mind your own business. Fewer users are going to report content.

Incorrect...

Facebook pays staff via Freelance Services such as oDesk and Freelancer... They are generally based in India and the Phils and work for $1 an hour.

They mostly act on reports, but to say it is 100% user moderated is not true.

I saw an interesting TV report about a survey on the impact of pedophiles images on Internet.

The study showed these horrific footage were acting as inhibition reducer.

For some fragile audience, seen it on video, makes it OK to reproduce or even to surpass it, like a sick competition.

Frightening.