Chiang Mai Ram Hospital Experience

LawrenceChee

When in India I was told you can get immune from food poisoning if you eat the street food every day but I think that's a myth. The last time I got sick was from one of the most expensive restaurant in CM.

May be right...fighting toxic with toxic...laugh.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the prices posted are outrageous. Can a business sell items for the same price they paid for them?

Asking 1300bht for 100bht medicine is OK? What is your limit, 2000bth / 5000bht / 10000bht, I guess there must be some?

I don't think the prices posted are outrageous. Can a business sell items for the same price they paid for them?

I find it difficult to believe you put very much thought into that post....... Where, from reading this thread did you get the idea that anyone stated the hosp should sell meds for the same price as they buy them???

How about different hosps selling the same type, brand, size pill , for not the same price, but double , triple or more??? Can a business do that and hope to continue??

No they can't

But at Chiang Mai Ram you may rest assured they will sell it to you with the highest mark up they can get. Some times double or triple Pharmacies prices and you may rest assured the Pharmacies are marking the price up.

1307 baht on an item they only paid 100 baht for is outrageous.

I find it difficult to believe you put very much thought into that post....... Where, from reading this thread did you get the idea that anyone stated the hosp should sell meds for the same price as they buy them???

How about different hosps selling the same type, brand, size pill , for not the same price, but double , triple or more??? Can a business do that and hope to continue??

The Ram does and will continue to.

Had to see an haematologist at Ram. Price 450 baht. 400 for the doctor and 50 baht for Ram.

He wanted a blood test.........est cost 13000 baht.

And they talk about boiler rooms and other scams. They didn't even have to pay for the phone call.

Had to see an haematologist at Ram. Price 450 baht. 400 for the doctor and 50 baht for Ram.

He wanted a blood test.........est cost 13000 baht.

And they talk about boiler rooms and other scams. They didn't even have to pay for the phone call.

You don't say what type of blood test this was. If you walk into the lab on the ground floor, you can get a price list of 'regular' blood tests and get t done immediately, subject to fasting etc.

I am guessing that it was some kind of special blood test. I paid something like 100 baht for the last one that I had there.

13,000 Baht? My guess a decimal point missing or misunderstanding or, as you say, very special. I've had full screening several times for all key indicators due to cholesteral and hypertension medication and included liver, kidney function, sugar, cholesteral, and a list of several other things for less then 1300 Baht.

I am guessing that it was some kind of special blood test. I paid something like 100 baht for the last one that I had there.

13,000 Baht? My guess a decimal point missing or misunderstanding or, as you say, very special. I've had full screening several times for all key indicators due to cholesteral and hypertension medication and included liver, kidney function, sugar, cholesteral, and a list of several other things for less then 1300 Baht.

Agreed. people that don"t use the , comma every three digits starting from the left can make it hard to read and mistakes are easier to make. 1,000,000 or 1000000 same same

The Ram charges quite high (by Thai standards.....incredibly cheaply by US standards) but seems to me very reasonable indeed on doc appts, room rates, tests and so on.

As you can (and I do sometimes) by the meds outside.....usually managing to reduce the number......this gives an opportunity to get the cheap stuff and avoid the dear.

What more could you want?

BTW unless asked for generics the Ram issues top brand name meds, so while no doubt they make a good mark up they are paying up too.

Arleo

Here's another side to counteract your, I thought unreasonable, post.

A friend of mine's nephew aged early twenties got a computer job at the Ram. (My wife works there and I know a lot of the staff).

Just six weeks later he had a terrible accident driving straight into the side of a parked pickup late at night.

It was touch and go and he was in ICU for many weeks.

Even after that we didn't know if he would ever be normal in the head. It took ages for him to walk, then slowly to talk.

(As it turns out, he is a bit quieter, but not bad, and my friends got him into a wat as a monk and he likes it.)

Anyway, the care was into I believe one and a half or two million.

They did it all for free even though he had only just joined the hospital.

The Thais are very good like that. When that American chap who used to volunteer to translate at the Maharat got cancer of the jaw they looked after him wonderfully for ages, into the years, he was full of praise. Sadly he didn't survive the long haul.

Edited by cheeryble

The Ram charges quite high (by Thai standards.....incredibly cheaply by US standards) but seems to me very reasonable indeed on doc appts, room rates, tests and so on.

As you can (and I do sometimes) by the meds outside.....usually managing to reduce the number......this gives an opportunity to get the cheap stuff and avoid the dear.

What more could you want?

BTW unless asked for generics the Ram issues top brand name meds, so while no doubt they make a good mark up they are paying up too.

Arleo

Here's another side to counteract your, I thought unreasonable, post.

A friend of mine's nephew aged early twenties got a computer job at the Ram. (My wife works there and I know a lot of the staff).

Just six weeks later he had a terrible accident driving straight into the side of a parked pickup late at night.

It was touch and go and he was in ICU for many weeks.

Even after that we didn't know if he would ever be normal in the head. It took ages for him to walk, then slowly to talk.

(As it turns out, he is a bit quieter, but not bad, and my friends got him into a wat as a monk and he likes it.)

Anyway, the care was into I believe one and a half or two million.

They did it all for free even though he had only just joined the hospital.

The Thais are very good like that. When that American chap who used to volunteer to translate at the Maharat got cancer of the jaw they looked after him wonderfully for ages, into the years, he was full of praise. Sadly he didn't survive the long haul.

The problem in Ram hospital is that the more medicine the doctors give to you, the more money they make (and it's much money with those prices). Do you believe they just want to give you what you need? My father is a doctor and he was surprised about the amount of medicine given (and told that most of the labs tests was unnecessary).

"unless asked for generics the Ram issues top brand name meds"

No, they will give the generics and charge for top brand (x 2-3) as in my case. And they will use the biggest possible packages / ampuls (in my case they could have used 4MG ampul instead of 8MG ampul, but then they have got only half of the price.... only 2MG was used)

I have another story about Ram too. Last year my friend went there for a cancer check. They wanted to do him some surgery worth hundreds of thousands. He went back to France, and doctors told that there was no need for surgery.

I usually go to Klaimor Hospital, decent service and prices about 50-70% cheaper than in Ram.

I usually go to Klaimor Hospital, decent service and prices about 50-70% cheaper than in Ram.

Is that in Chiang Mai?

Just before Tesco Lotus on the Hang Dong Road.

Next to the big pharmacy.

Edited by uptheos

The problem in Ram hospital is that the more medicine the doctors give to you, the more money they make (and it's much money with those prices).

Care to back that up with evidence I'd be very interested?.......

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Ram's perfect by any means, and I don't think the standard of English is very good either......but then the vast majority of their patients are Thai and they do pay a multilingual liaison officer (did they bill you for his and her wages?).

I wonder though if medicine's not an inexact science, an area where you are bound to always have complaints.

The problem in Ram hospital is that the more medicine the doctors give to you, the more money they make (and it's much money with those prices).

Care to back that up with evidence I'd be very interested?.......

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Ram's perfect by any means, and I don't think the standard of English is very good either......but then the vast majority of their patients are Thai and they do pay a multilingual liaison officer (did they bill you for his and her wages?).

I wonder though if medicine's not an inexact science, an area where you are bound to always have complaints.

Look at the bill I posted before - 12 medicine for 10kg baby in one night. My father (doctor) told that normally in Finland only one of those would have been given. Of course he doesn't know everything about this case, and I don't mean it's wrong/dangerous to give those medicine. But with 2-3x normal medicine prices there might be incentive to give more than would be necessary...

And 13 lab tests? My father told that one is important, maybe 5-6 if want to make complete check. Well, why not make every possible test with those prices...

I have Thai wife, so I did not need any English at the hospital until I went to complain about that Onsia -medicine scam.

You can find the price here:

http://csmhos.thaiddns.com/hospital/drug/ratchaburi_hospital55.pdf

I'm not sure what is the correct price from the list, maybe someone from here can check it.

ONSIA 8MG.INJ.* AMP. ONDANSETRON HCL DIHYDRATE 8 MG.

ราคาขาย 26.50

ราคาทุน 21.4

ราคากลาง 107

Anyway at maximum 100bht/ampul. And even the boss I talked with did not deny that. But she did not want to refund anything, because there is pretty much nothing I can do. In fact I'd be still interested if there is some authority in Thailand interested about hospital scams? Not worth trouble to ask 1000bht back, but I hate scammers and would like to stop them continue doing this.

#44 Arleo " I usually go to Klaimor Hospital, decent service and prices about 50-70% cheaper than in Ram."

Yes, I and my extended family do too. Son's daughter born there, and continues with scheduled child check-ups, going on six years now.

Nice large, comfortable rooms, and attentive staff at all levels. First went there to check it out as a young doctor there was once a student of mine and who had spent the last five years doing surgical internships in the USA.

A little sung medical oasis IMO.

Arleo

IMO you should be more careful.

I'm afraid your assumption doesn't mean doctors are given a commission on medicines, which is a serious accusation aimed at the Ram of being medically unethical.

It would also be unethical to throw out the accusation without more evidence than mere opinion.

It may even be so........but from what you've said you don't know so.

Cheeryble

ps: have heard numerous times on Thaivisa how the Ram charges different rates for Farang and Thai. I asked my wife and it is categorically incorrect.

pps: agree with whoever said so that the Ram is rather shabby.

Edited by cheeryble

Klaimore Hospital. I went there once. The outpatient part downstairs is very, very old. I certainly would not want to stay there overnight. The doctor I consulted with was ok and the xray and his fee was minimal. But, when I went to the medicine window I was given with other meds an antibiotic, that neither I nor he mentioned in the consult. And it was an antibiotic I am very allergic to. I threw it away as I already had paid. I need to pass right in front of Klaimore to go to Ram. I think it is worth the trip.

Arleo

IMO you should be more careful.

I'm afraid your assumption doesn't mean doctors are given a commission on medicines, which is a serious accusation aimed at the Ram of being medically unethical.

It would also be unethical to throw out the accusation without more evidence than mere opinion.

It may even be so........but from what you've said you don't know so.

Cheeryble

ps: have heard numerous times on Thaivisa how the Ram charges different rates for Farang and Thai. I asked my wife and it is categorically incorrect.

pps: agree with whoever said so that the Ram is rather shabby.

If the doctors don't directly get paid for every medicine, at least through some kind of bonus system. Maybe the owners get most of the money, I don't know. Looks like you think that asking 1300bht for Onsia 8MG is not a scam. I wouldn't trust a hospital which is doing that kind of things.

If the doctors don't directly get paid for every medicine, at least through some kind of bonus system. Maybe the owners get most of the money, I don't know. Looks like you think that asking 1300bht for Onsia 8MG is not a scam. I wouldn't trust a hospital which is doing that kind of things.

I'm afraid you're digging a hole here by confirming your accusation is unbacked by evidence and re-presenting opinion.

As a matter of interest was just talking to a great friend 85yo who I try to help.

He has macular degeneration one eye gone the other they are holding degenereation at bay with monthly injections into the eyeball.

There are two drugs used for this. The first one is extremely expensive (from the US) then it was disciovered a much cheaper drug does near the same job.

So my friend has been getting this other drug injected at the Ram. The doctor collects it from the Maharat pharmacy for 400 baht per go, making it quite affordable.

This has been for three years.

Suddenly overnight they are now asked for 5000 baht per dose.

It is NOT the Ram charging the doctor feels terrible about it and says she's been on to the Maharat pharmacy there's nothing they can do.

It is likely extortionate pricing policy from the US supplier.

So is the Ram at fault here too?

(BTW don't get me wrong I don't like paying double for eye drops but if you look at the Ram Group overall profits (it is a public company) they are in no way above normal. But i really like the cheap consultations and health checks and nurse rates and the rooms are about the same price as Sripat which everyone always says is so much cheaper).

Edited by cheeryble

Oh dear Lawrence, hope you are sorted out.

Re: street food

With raw seafood (sashimi etc) you have to consider that CM is not near the coast. My uncle (in Singapore) was a super-fit 40 year old with washboard abs. He was KO'd by raw oysters which decimated his physique and almost killed him. He even had the Hepatitis jabs....so caveat emptor all you epicureans.

i still remember my friend pickup many many raw oysters from the buffet during our ship cruise..

i was like ....WOW....<deleted>....

and what happen the next day? he is in the bed the whole day and while i am enjoying the sea breeze... giggle.gif

seriously, what is nice about raw oyster? actually i don't even dare to eat cooked oyster because oyster have hep- B

your uncle is a swiss too?

singapore is an expensive place to retire.. bah.gif

In the Eastern US, we use the month with an "R" rule.....the only months to eat them. Bacteria grows exponentially faster at 82F compared with 44F. Seattle is a good place for them, because the water is so cold. Like warm beer, bad food is bad food at any price. I had my first bag of rotten fruit in 9 years in front of the Toyoata Dealership at Sunday walking street a few weeks ago. I spit it out, then smelled the bag. Smelled like a garbage can. I summoned the lady and politely asked for my 10 THB back. She tried to give me another bag, I shook my head. She gave me back my 10 and said thank you. I'm about sure she was going to continue to sell it, though. Backpackers probably wouldn't notice, since they can't seem to smell bad body odor, either.

My rule on Sushi is that you have to be able to see the ocean from the roof. Seen some really nice stuff in BKK, even at the BTS Stations. Cold, under glass.

I agree with you that 1300 bahts for onsia appears to be expensive. It can be found online for about 0.60 cents per dose. The usual use for this drug is to prevent nausea after chemotherapy or radiation treatments. It is also used to prevent nausea post operative. To give you an example of the pricing differential between hospitals. In January of this year a doctor at Sriphat prescribed the injectable antibiotic Ertapenem for 7 consecutive days. I had the first dose at the Sriphat but because I had to go to the Ram on 3 of the other 6 days I opted to have the balance done at the Ram. The cost per injection at Sriphat was 2280 bahts and at the Ram 3945 bahts.

I agree with you that 1300 bahts for onsia appears to be expensive. It can be found online for about 0.60 cents per dose. The usual use for this drug is to prevent nausea after chemotherapy or radiation treatments. It is also used to prevent nausea post operative. To give you an example of the pricing differential between hospitals. In January of this year a doctor at Sriphat prescribed the injectable antibiotic Ertapenem for 7 consecutive days. I had the first dose at the Sriphat but because I had to go to the Ram on 3 of the other 6 days I opted to have the balance done at the Ram. The cost per injection at Sriphat was 2280 bahts and at the Ram 3945 bahts.

Thanks for the information. I was expecting that hospital pays the "ราคาขาย" (26.50bht) price, so normal "Ram-price" should have been about 100bht (now they asked 50 times the price that they pay, looks good business :)) There was no real need to use that medicine for my baby, but it's not really wrong too... Decide yourself why it was used. When you go to Ram, you can expect that kind of pricing. I'm not going back, hope you think too whether you want to support this hospital or not.

To cheeryble: I don't think I have claimed I have any evidence. I have been talking about my experience and what I think about people working at Ram. Feel free to have different opinion. And for sure there are good and honest doctors too.

Thanks for the information. I was expecting that hospital pays the "ราคาขาย" (26.50bht) price, so normal "Ram-price" should have been about 100bht (now they asked 50 times the price that they pay, looks good business smile.png) There was no real need to use that medicine for my baby, but it's not really wrong too... Decide yourself why it was used. When you go to Ram, you can expect that kind of pricing. I'm not going back, hope you think too whether you want to support this hospital or not.

To cheeryble: I don't think I have claimed I have any evidence. I have been talking about my experience and what I think about people working at Ram. Feel free to have different opinion. And for sure there are good and honest doctors too.

Well I wouldn't consider the cost of medications as the only criteria as to whether I would prefer to go to one hospital over another. In my mind the first consideration is the physician. This is the reason I go to both Sriphat and the Ram. At the Sriphat I feel like I'm a sardine in a can. even though the Ram is more expensive apart from the physician it is my hospital of choice.

At the Sriphat I feel like I'm a sardine in a can. even though the Ram is more expensive apart from the physician it is my hospital of choice.

That is my take too. When I am low on money, I go to Sripat. When I am not, I go to Ram.

Since I started this price war thing...by western standards the cost at Ram is low.

The doctors there were great as many of the posters agree and were very attentive .

The nurses called me 2 days in a row to ensure the runs have stopped and the medication @ home is working.

While I was there even the smallest medication was given with an explanation and what it will do and they smile real sweetly ( missus didn't appreciate the frequency they came and check on me but I guess a foodie in hospital is new to them )

For the care and the doctors the price was worth it ...was it cheaper nope it was not.

I would go to McCormick for a lot of stuff, especially for the eyes. My dad had the injections for retinal bleeding last year (in America) and they are very expensive. He even told me he was delaying cataract surgery for a while to give his insurance a breather.