Chiang Mai Ram Hospital Experience

LawrenceChee

Had food poisoning or GI and had to be admitted

Service was great and nurses were all professional and spoke good English.

All wanted to help and manage my pain levels and frequently checked on me with the doctors

Only complaint was the condition of the toilet and furniture in the VIP room as all are in need of a renovation and in bad shape

However for the meds, care and nursing it gets top marks from me ...not that I want to go back soon

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you get well soon. Personally I think CM Ram is not going to do improve a lot until they face the real competition from BKK which is soon. How did you get food poisoning anyway, mine was the last time I had some sushi at some expensive restaurant last thing I'd expect from that place.

Hope you get well soon. Personally I think CM Ram is not going to do improve a lot until they face the real competition from BKK which is soon. How did you get food poisoning anyway, mine was the last time I had some sushi at some expensive restaurant last thing I'd expect from that place.

I wouldn't eat raw anything here.

I spent so much time at the Ram as an in patient in Dec / Jan that I thought I was going to become a permanent resident. They must have more than one VIP room because the one I was in was top notch. Toilets in both rooms were perfect and the furniture was in great shape. Care and nursing also get top marks from me. Lawrence you have to start staying away from street food. Sooner or later it always gets you. My wife was an advocate of eating street food until she became violently ill from it 2 months ago. Now she says never again.

Not even a 5 bath sushi on walking street?

When in India I was told you can get immune from food poisoning if you eat the street food every day but I think that's a myth. The last time I got sick was from one of the most expensive restaurant in CM.

If you're going to eat sushi, do it on a boat as it comes out of the sea!

I don't care how expensive the restaurant is, if it isn't cooked don't eat it.

True I am staying away from street food for a while

My missus tells me there are different floors with different facilities ...so since I was a last minute admit I must have got a raw deal ;-)

She got a member card ( Thais have member card that gives discounts for everything !!! ) and I got 10% off the final bill

Hey lawrence,

hope you are fine. Glad you still reply to my pm even though you never mention about your food poisoning.

how does the street food stall look like?

i hope it is not my favourite chicken rice, noodle or local thai food..

oh...i would not recommend eating raw stuffs... i always eat cooked stuffs or boiled water to kill off any germs..just to be safe..

Edited by eden8

Just out two weeks from RAM. The standard one patient room I had was a bit worn

but the service, Doctor and attention were first class. RAM needs a face lift on the

surface and will get it in time.

I could go on and on here about the first operation in Bangkok at B&&&

hospital that failed with numerous complications at far more than twice

the cost of RAM

"Form before substance." If you have lived here for 10 or 20 years

you know the meaning of this. Shiney new facilities will need be

proven in time.

From my experience I would give RAM a very happy recommendation.

I saw a doctor there who is highly respected. It was in regards to two different operations I am looking at some place down the line. He told me he could recommend a really good doctor for both operations. In Bangkok. These operations are not the type he does. For a possible third one the best doctor is here in Chiang Mai he said. I had seen that doctor and he works out of the hospital across from the Holiday Inn. Not as fancy but the best doctor for that procedure in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. I had asked him if he could do the operation at the ram and he said yes if I wanted to pay more for it.

My experience in the Ram has been good and bad. It all boils down to the doctor you see.

I am not going to give the name of the doctor who recommended Bangkok for obvious reasons.

I had a friend stay in there about five years ago and I was highly impressed with the room. Back home I would never have thought they would have a room like that in a hospital.

• Like 1

Oh dear Lawrence, hope you are sorted out.

Re: street food

With raw seafood (sashimi etc) you have to consider that CM is not near the coast. My uncle (in Singapore) was a super-fit 40 year old with washboard abs. He was KO'd by raw oysters which decimated his physique and almost killed him. He even had the Hepatitis jabs....so caveat emptor all you epicureans.

But raw seafood aside, you can prep your gut (and indeed maintain a basic protective defence) by simply ingesting a regular diet of fresh yoghurt. It will replace the necessary Accidophilus bacteria which gets "napalmed" each time we take antibiotics. An Ozzie friend who volunteered in far-flung forest areas would simply eat lots of yoghurt the week before each field trip. After that no problems even though he ingested unidentifiable wriggly bits in the wild.

Think about it: in India there are big hygiene issues with lack of running water. But because it's common to mix fresh yoghurt into rice (or vadai, yumm) you don't find the widespread infant mortality as in Africa. So simple, cheap and effective. A spoonful atop cereal.....marinade meats together with spices.....blitz with fruits to make lassi.....mix with vinaigrette for dressing.....endless ways to make sure that your gut stays strong as we venture on culinary adventures in Asia.

• Like 1

Could not agree more, wonderful stuff yogurt or those little sour milk drinks full of use full bacteria

With raw seafood (sashimi etc) you have to consider that CM is not near the coast. My uncle (in Singapore) was a super-fit 40 year old with washboard abs. He was KO'd by raw oysters which decimated his physique and almost killed him. He even had the Hepatitis jabs....so caveat emptor all you epicureans.

But raw seafood aside, you can prep your gut (and indeed maintain a basic protective defence) by simply ingesting a regular diet of fresh yoghurt. It will replace the necessary Accidophilus bacteria which gets "napalmed" each time we take antibiotics. An Ozzie friend who volunteered in far-flung forest areas would simply eat lots of yoghurt the week before each field trip. After that no problems even though he ingested unidentifiable wriggly bits in the wild.

Think about it: in India there are big hygiene issues with lack of running water. But because it's common to mix fresh yoghurt into rice (or vadai, yumm) you don't find the widespread infant mortality as in Africa. So simple, cheap and effective. A spoonful atop cereal.....marinade meats together with spices.....blitz with fruits to make lassi.....mix with vinaigrette for dressing.....endless ways to make sure that your gut stays strong as we venture on culinary adventures in Asia.

what does 5 bath mean

i still remember my friend pickup many many raw oysters from the buffet during our ship cruise..

i was like ....WOW....<deleted>....

and what happen the next day? he is in the bed the whole day and while i am enjoying the sea breeze... giggle.gif

seriously, what is nice about raw oyster? actually i don't even dare to eat cooked oyster because oyster have hep- B

your uncle is a swiss too?

singapore is an expensive place to retire.. bah.gif

Edited by eden8

Like any medical facility - some good doctors, some real quacks.

The whole place needs a good scrub, painting and even replace a light bulb or two would help.

Their price increases over the last few years are not justified by any facility improvements nor better staffing.

I mean 5 baht

what does 5 bath mean

With raw seafood (sashimi etc) you have to consider that CM is not near the coast.

These days, most of the fish that is used for sushi and sashimi is flash frozen right after it is caught (which kills parasites as well as keeping the fish fresh). It does not make a lot of difference that Chiang Mai is not near the ocean.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Personally I think CM Ram is not going to do improve a lot until they face the real competition from BKK which is soon.

But the poster said

All wanted to help and manage my pain levels and frequently checked on me with the doctors

40.gif40.gif

Personally I think CM Ram is not going to do improve a lot until they face the real competition from BKK which is soon.

But the poster said

40.gif40.gif

Nice try Lawrence said

It was alifeconn who said

I am quite sure he was referring to the condition of the rooms as described by Lawrence.

But the poster said

40.gif40.gif

Nice try Lawrence said

I am quite sure he was referring to the condition of the rooms as described by Lawrence.

No it wasn't tongue.png

The condition of the toilet when I was admitted myself was not good for the VIP room price. Similar to Suandok hospital which is public

But the poster said

40.gif40.gif

Nice try Lawrence said

I had a bit different experience at Ram Hospital 1.5 months ago. My one year old son had been sick (mostly diarrhea) couple of days. It was late evening and my wife really wanted to take him to a good hospital. I knew that Ram is expensive, but couldn't think they could still cheat that much. The doctor in the ground floor told that it's better for him to stay in the hospital one night (well after I saw the bill I understood the reason...) She charged 800bht for 5min talking. Total bill for 12hours stay was nearly 13000bht. Of course I wanted to see detailed bill. It's crazy how much medicine they were able to give to a 10kg baby in one night. All the medicine and equipment they used are 2-3 times more expensive than in other hospitals. I was able to find only 300bht worth things that they put to the bill and did not use, those they removed from bill when I asked.

I felt cheated but I thought I still have to pay the bill. At home I reviewed the bill, and wondered why they really needed to use "Onsia 8MG/4ML Injection" which price was 1307bht. They had given that medicine only 2MG to my son (for some reason they do not have smaller ampuls...) After I did some research on the Internet I found out the scam. The real price of the medicine is about 100bht (details of the scam in Thai language http://drug.pharmacy.psu.ac.th/Question.asp?ID=5872&gid=7) I went to ask refund of that medicine and was send to talk with person who claimed to be the biggest boss in the hospital. She did not care about the scam. Well, I had paid the bill so she knew there is not much I could do... She offered discount on next bill but for me being cheated one time is enough.

I wouldn't go back to this hospital even if I had an insurance - I don't want to support scammers. It might feel they want to take good care, they will check your fever every hour etc. Guess why they do that? With those prices they make much money. They really don't care if you need all the medicine they give to you. The most important thing for them is to make the bill as expensive as possible.

Here are some parts of the bill - all those things and laboratory tests was needed to check my son's diarrhea... [EDIT: smaller pics...]

2qwzc60.jpg

jrd550.jpg

70atlz.jpg

Edited by arleo