Jet Airways Transit Through Mumbai

apetley

Hi. Have a flight on Jet in a couple of weeks and was looking for info on the procedures there. About a year ago a friend said they had to get a tag stamped for all hand luggage before going through the security check. Is this still the case? Also any other info that may be relevant? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi,

How long is your transit for? Yes, tags with security check stamps are still mandatory at Indian airports for all hand carry bags.

Make sure to check on your luggage (checked in Baggage) before boarding the next flight at Mumbai.

Don't expect (much) assistance, so read the signs displayed (carefully) for directions.

(If) need to clear immigration make sure you are the quickest person out, even though the process is fast but just to figure out which line you need to stand in (sometime counter for foreign passport and Indian passports is the same).

If you have a long wait at the airport (you might want to get a transit visa and see a bit of Mumbai in the rainy season)

Lastly, while landing if you see whats on the TV in any of the houses (slum huts) or people looking at you, dont be scared you are still landing at the Mumbai airport and not on a roof top.

Have a safe flight!!

• Like 1

Yes, the system remains the same, as of five weeks ago !

The bus from the aircraft drops you at Arrivals, where International-Transfer passengers take the escalator (on the left) upstairs.

You then follow the corridor right for 200-250 meters, to reach Transfer-Security, where you put a tag on each item of hand-luggage & join the queues (separate ones for Men & Women) to load your bags onto the scanner-belt (computers separately) and pass through the personal-scanner. This may take some time ! The military performing the checks can sometimes be made to smile, on a good day, when you greet them.

Having had your boarding-pass stamped, and checked that all the tags on your bags have also been stamped, proceed to the correct boarding-gate to wait for your onward-flight.

There's no transfer-desk (wonder how onward-passengers off other airlines are meant to cope ?) or (I believe) lounge for Jet Airways frequent-flyers, but there are bars & pay-for lounges.

When your flight boards, apart from the usual boarding-card/passport check, there will also be a security-check on the tags on your bags. No stamped-tag ... no boarding !

The terminal itself is shabby and in need of the replacement, which is now under-construction, but running late. Not much the airline can do about this, unfortunately.

Hi,

How long is your transit for? Yes, tags with security check stamps are still mandatory at Indian airports for all hand carry bags.

Make sure to check on your luggage (checked in Baggage) before boarding the next flight at Mumbai.

Don't expect (much) assistance, so read the signs displayed (carefully) for directions.

(If) need to clear immigration make sure you are the quickest person out, even though the process is fast but just to figure out which line you need to stand in (sometime counter for foreign passport and Indian passports is the same).

If you have a long wait at the airport (you might want to get a transit visa and see a bit of Mumbai in the rainy season)

Lastly, while landing if you see whats on the TV in any of the houses (slum huts) or people looking at you, dont be scared you are still landing at the Mumbai airport and not on a roof top.

Have a safe flight!!

Hi thanks for the reply. Transit is 1 hour 45 minutes so not along wait.

Not sure what you mean check on the checked in baggage. I assume as it is Jet all the way, BKK-BOM-LHR, then the checked in cases go straight through right?

Yes, the system remains the same, as of five weeks ago !

The bus from the aircraft drops you at Arrivals, where International-Transfer passengers take the escalator (on the left) upstairs.

You then follow the corridor right for 200-250 meters, to reach Transfer-Security, where you put a tag on each item of hand-luggage & join the queues (separate ones for Men & Women) to load your bags onto the scanner-belt (computers separately) and pass through the personal-scanner. This may take some time ! The military performing the checks can sometimes be made to smile, on a good day, when you greet them.

Having had your boarding-pass stamped, and checked that all the tags on your bags have also been stamped, proceed to the correct boarding-gate to wait for your onward-flight.

There's no transfer-desk (wonder how onward-passengers off other airlines are meant to cope ?) or (I believe) lounge for Jet Airways frequent-flyers, but there are bars & pay-for lounges.

When your flight boards, apart from the usual boarding-card/passport check, there will also be a security-check on the tags on your bags. No stamped-tag  ...  no boarding !

The terminal itself is shabby and in need of the replacement, which is now under-construction, but running late. Not much the airline can do about this, unfortunately.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have heard a few bad stories about transiting through Mumbai but that doesn't sound too bad.:-)

Jet Air weren't too bad to fly with in my experience (I hope you like curry, I don't mean that as some sort of racial steretype, but we got served 4 different curries in a 10 hour flight, and beware of what looks like refreshing lemon juice, it's not refreshing at all), but Mumbai airport is horrendous. Customs staff in countries are often rude, but Mumbai has to been the worst I've ever seen. Impossible to haev any dialogue with them, and generally they have no idea what is going on themselves.

We flew back through there before and there must've been 100 odd people waiting to get the connection to London, the queue wasn't moving at all, after about an hour people start to get nervous so try to explain the situation as we are really beginning to push time now, rather than take it on board people were just told to get back etc.

Luckily another person from elsewhere came to sort it out and got everyone on that flight into a different queue that was processed a lot quicker.

I don't know if it's a deliberate ploy but I often find customs staff in a number of countries rude/menacing/intimidating etc, but this is often your first impression of a country and often leaves a bad taste. I'd always fancied going to India, but the customs staff there are my only real experience so I can't help thinking of them everytime I think of India. Whilst I'm sure my not going there won't bankrupt the country but magnify that by X amount of times and it can't be good for them.

Edited by Aceicol
  • Like 1

Why anybody would want to transit through Mumbai unless sent there by their company to work is beyond me. Dirt, the people are rude, more filth. I would not put myself through that yet alone my family to save a few bob. It would be interesting if posted here after the trip to see what your opinions of the ordeal are.

I wish you luck!

Try to get off the plane as early as possible and run to the security because they do security plane by plane. If you're the first there you'll be through in seconds. If you're last it took me over an hour once.

There's a really nice chill out area in the airport there with loungers and stuff, it's free but you probably won't have time to need it.

Enjoy

I'll echo most of the above.

Do ensure that all your carry-on stuff has tags and the tags get stamped by security. Be prepared for those tags to be looked at multiple times on your way to the aircraft.

NOTE. There appears to be no actual transit desk. If you don't already have a boarding card for your onward flight look for the airline rep just before transit security, they will (hopefully) have your boarding card as you won't get through security without it.

There's an interactive terminal map here http://www.csia.in/tofromairport/interactivemaps.aspx the gates are on the mezzanine floor.

For a bite and a beer try Celebrations, a bit seedy but half the price of Bombay Blue (but still expensive, Rs450 for a large bottle of Kingfisher last time I was there) and there are several power points about for laptop users (you'll need an international adapter, India uses the old UK style round pin plugs). There is theoretically free wi-fi, never managed to make it work but I've got an Indian 3G dongle anyway.

my experience with jet airways and mumbay airport has been quite good, i have been many times in mumbay airport, international and domestic. mumbay has faced several terrorist attaks in the last decade and i think that this sometimes sorts out in rude controls and military styled behavior. personally i not have problems with this but i understand that some people get in problems when they see life and travels as joke.

jet airways are the cheapest airways out of india and you should not expect too much comfort for the price you pay for a ticket. i had some good and some bad expirience and would fly it again when needed.

Hi,

Have a safe flight!!

Hi thanks for the reply. Transit is 1 hour 45 minutes so not along wait.

Not sure what you mean check on the checked in baggage. I assume as it is Jet all the way, BKK-BOM-LHR, then the checked in cases go straight through right?

It means, even though the baggage is checked in straight through, it will be taken off from the plane for security check, I have had luggage missed during this transition, where it was taken off the flight but the loaders forgot to put it back on the flight. I was lucky, just before the flight was about to take off, I asked one of the crew to check on my luggage and it was found missing, flight was delayed as the luggage was tracked and put on flight.

So make sure to check on your luggage again at Mumbai.

• 4 weeks later...

As promised here's my experience.

Jet Airways were an absolute bargain for the fare of 30k. Nice clean planes, personally I liked the food, cabin crew were friendly and all legs arrived on time except for the arrival in BKK which was 10 minutes late.

Now the downside. Going to the UK the transit through Mumbai was a nightmare. Organised chaos would be a complement to describe the huge line of passengers that were separated into male and female lines which each had only one scanner each. It took forever and airline agents came along the line frantically searching for passengers caught in the queue and holding up flights. Security staff were stressed and unhelpful. They ran out of security tags for the cabin bags and I had to leave the line to go and find some more myself. Passports and boarding passes were checked a total of six times. However returning to Thailand we were very lucky, Breezed through transit as they had a full compliment of scanners working. However as I went through the body scanner I took at the queue and it snaked back out of view.

Would I use Jet again? Maybe if I was on my own. Wifey said never again as she hated the Mumbai experience. Maybe if both legs go through Delhi

It's a shame that as excellent value airline is tarnished by the airport you transit through.

• Like 1

I will track all positive posters here who have anything negative to say about Thai road safety standards. Having been involved with an organization who trained Indian pilots and having seen indian mechanics in operation with their "human factors (HF)" or should I say lack of HF training and integrity anyone who flies with or through these airlines and country to save a few $s forfeits the right to make any comment about transportation safety:rolleyes: without prejudice and in my humble opinion.:P of course. Personally I would not choose this option if the tickets were free for myself or a loved one

Howevet you can write all you want here about price etc to help justify your actions.

I have just noticed my elect eng guru crossy has an Indian dongle. Time to end it all now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by maprao

As promised here's my experience.

Jet Airways were an absolute bargain for the fare of 30k. Nice clean planes, personally I liked the food, cabin crew were friendly and all legs arrived on time except for the arrival in BKK which was 10 minutes late.

Now the downside. Going to the UK the transit through Mumbai was a nightmare. Organised chaos would be a complement to describe the huge line of passengers that were separated into male and female lines which each had only one scanner each. It took forever and airline agents came along the line frantically searching for passengers caught in the queue and holding up flights. Security staff were stressed and unhelpful. They ran out of security tags for the cabin bags and I had to leave the line to go and find some more myself. Passports and boarding passes were checked a total of six times. However returning to Thailand we were very lucky, Breezed through transit as they had a full compliment of scanners working. However as I went through the body scanner I took at the queue and it snaked back out of view.

Would I use Jet again? Maybe if I was on my own. Wifey said never again as she hated the Mumbai experience. Maybe if both legs go through Delhi

It's a shame that as excellent value airline is tarnished by the airport you transit through.

That has been my experience twice in Mumbai.

Delhi is supposed to be much better.

That has been my experience twice in Mumbai.

Delhi is supposed to be much better.

definitely !

Delhi-Ternibal-3 is very new, and a completely normal international transit-experience, except for the slowness/delays at security, which are beyond the airline's control.

The electric-cart guys at DEL for older/disabled-passengers are actually very enthusiastic & helpful, a plus !

One can only hope that the new terminal at BOM/Mumbai will match it, when completed.

I'm doing BKK-DEL-LHR on Jet with my young son next Thursday, will report back on the experience, if there's anything new to mention.

Edited by Ricardo

I have used Jet 5 times in the past year due to pricing and the LHR to India its a nice B777.
Jet are ok though never have Gin on board which as an ex empire I would expect, but I now have Jonnie Walker and they do usually give me two for some strange reason.

Mumbai is rubbish. You need to be off the plane super quick. Security are rubbish. Two or three lanes into two and they dont tell you one lane is for male the other female. Airside workers jump the q by default. The other London flight is to Delhi which is better but if you go in when two or more international flights have arrived, you can wait 40 mins to get through. Plenty of security staff watch you but only one baggage x ray and one stamping your boarding card. The others are chatting, clearing there throats or filling in a log book.

Baggage tag is still required so take a pen with you!

Jet are ok though never have Gin on board which as an ex empire I would expect, but I now have Jonnie Walker and they do usually give me two for some strange reason.

I laughed the first time, when told by the cabin-crew that a flight to Bombay, didn't have gin onboard, let alone Bombay-gin ! laugh.png

So the scurried about and, Lo and Behold, found a bottle after-all ! wink.png

Perhaps I should have requested Mumbai-Gin ? facepalm.gif

Edited by Ricardo

• 4 weeks later...
I'm doing BKK-DEL-LHR on Jet with my young son next Thursday, will report back on the experience, if there's anything new to mention.

Update :

My young son was amazed, when Jet upgraded us to Business-class for BKK-DEL, after having slept on a couch at Swampy overnight, to connect to Jet's early-morning 08.40 departure ! Only wish that I could afford to travel like that all-the-time !

Delhi was fine, except for the security-check on the return taking over an hour, due to three flights arriving close together. The soldiers were requiring the airline to have stamped the onward international-flight boarding-pass and hand-written "D.T." for Direct Transfer on it.

Browsing their website, they still have cheap-tickets (under B27k return to London) for September & October.

• 9 months later...

Recently passed through Mumbai/BOM, using Jet Airways as usual, the new terminal is a VAST improvement of the old shabby one, I'd judge it comparable with Delhi's Terminal-3. thumbsup.gif

However they still parked the B738, inbound from BKK, at a remote stand & bussed us to the Arrivals/Transfers entrance. wink.png

Recently passed through Mumbai/BOM, using Jet Airways as usual, the new terminal is a VAST improvement of the old shabby one, I'd judge it comparable with Delhi's Terminal-3. thumbsup.gif

However they still parked the B738, inbound from BKK, at a remote stand & bussed us to the Arrivals/Transfers entrance. wink.png

Thanks for the info. Considering Jet again as they have some good deals atm Edited by edwinchester