Apple Unveils New Operating Systems And Macs

webfact

Apple unveils new operating systems and Macs

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Apple unveiled new software for its computers, smartphones and tablets Monday as it sought to halt the encroachment of rivals like Google and Samsung on its premium products.

Apple CEO Tim Cook unveiled the new operating systems in the opening address of Apple’s annual WorldWide Developer Conference in San Francisco.

The company, which has seen its stock fall from a high of more than 700 dollars last September to under 450 dollars currently, badly needs a new hit to reassure investors and customers that it is still capable of maintaining its lead.

But with any major new hardware release of new iPhones and iPads still months away, the focus was on new Macbook Air laptops and new operating systems for both personal computers and mobile devices.

Cook insisted that despite the advances of rivals, Apple’s mobile operating system iOS remained the number one in the market, boasting of 97 per cent satisfaction and more than twice as much web use as Android.

The gap would grow with the introduction of iOS 7, said Cook, who called it "the biggest change to iOS since the introduction of the iPhone."

As expected, the new software features strikingly different visual cues with a flat, translucent and colourful design replacing a 3D opaque pallet that featured lots of greys and blues.

Like Samsung’s new Galaxy S4, which is widely regarded as the iPhone’s top competitor, the new software responds to hand motions.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-11

The lead image for this "new iOS" is a home screen with rows and rows of icons, exactly the same as the old iOS. I'm already not interested. I'm assuming there is no Flash capabilities as well, but who knows, maybe now that Steve Jobs is gone they will attempt to end the feud with Adobe.

Some of the quotes from the 'experts' make me laugh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2338987/Will-best-looking-Apple-software-Company-bosses-stage-unveil-host-new-changes-iPhones-iPads-Macs.html

"but critics say the dramatic new look could backfire, confusing users"
"while others will be disoriented by the newness"

The lead image for this "new iOS" is a home screen with rows and rows of icons, exactly the same as the old iOS. I'm already not interested. I'm assuming there is no Flash capabilities as well, but who knows, maybe now that Steve Jobs is gone they will attempt to end the feud with Adobe.

..and what is the advantage of Flash?

..and what is the advantage of Flash?

Not sure about the advantage part, but simply having access to use it would be a start.

Adobe stopped developing Flash for mobile devices in 2011. The Windows mobile OS doesn't support it. Flash is no longer supported on Android devices. Why on earth would Apple re-embrace a dead technology?

Everyone going to HTML5 that does animation in the code.

Drop the prices Mr.Apple, thats why android is in the game, its cheap and sort of does the job...giggle.gif

Apple is a company that makes both the hardware and the operating systems. Android is an operating system running on a multitude of devices. Comparing a small family of Apple devices with cheaper Android-capable devices on price alone is ignorant at best.

A different and perhaps more realistic way of seeing market share: http://techpinions.com/androids-market-share-is-literally-a-joke/16709

• Like 1

Hate to break it to you but... flash is a dying technology. When anyone asks me to design a flash website I have to only laugh because its one of the worst technologies you can add to your site since its not mobile friendly. HTML5 is how its all done now.

Hmm, the icons are now flat almost like tiles. But they are not 'live'.

That is not "the biggest change to iOS since the introduction of the iPhone."

It is just more of the same with some new makeup, copied from others.

And will it render the pads and phones into much worse performing useless junk just like it did with the iPad 1.

FAIL!

Drop the prices Mr.Apple, thats why android is in the game, its cheap and sort of does the job...giggle.gif

Apple is a company that makes both the hardware and the operating systems. Android is an operating system running on a multitude of devices. Comparing a small family of Apple devices with cheaper Android-capable devices on price alone is ignorant at best.

A different and perhaps more realistic way of seeing market share: http://techpinions.com/androids-market-share-is-literally-a-joke/16709

Utterly brilliant article. Thanks for sharing!

Or to put it another way Apple is ripping people off by overcharging.

"... ripping people off by overcharging"? for a phone that does a whole lot of things, easy to use, smooth interface, hangs two or three times a year? as opposed to what? Android phones - laggy as hell, impossible to find anything, redundant icons, and freezes as often as you charge them? sorry, but i think i'll just be the ripped off overcharged but satisfied user.

"... ripping people off by overcharging"? for a phone that does a whole lot of things, easy to use, smooth interface, hangs two or three times a year? as opposed to what? Android phones - laggy as hell, impossible to find anything, redundant icons, and freezes as often as you charge them? sorry, but i think i'll just be the ripped off overcharged but satisfied user.

you are no less of a fanboy than the previous poster. to my ear you both sound ridiculous.

Or maintaining a healthy profit margin, as opposed to others who have to fight for their place by dumping the prices in order to maintain their piece of the market share cake.

It's funny how these arguments come up with tech equipment only. I mean, you might have an Armani suit that costs tens of times more than a cheap suit in your local department store. Do they serve the same function? Yes. Are the prices similar? No. Is there the same attention to detail? No.

Either you care about build quality or you don't. Just don't berate others for caring and being willing to pay extra for it.

• Like 2

Yes, indeed, its the ignorant non technical consumer that usually puts a great product in its grave, I have ipad and imac, very arrogant pieces of work, slowly down grading to systems that talk to their lower class friends...lol

I bought one of the new 13inch 128gb at an Apple store to bring over to someone in BKK and now they are saying they can't afford it. Thinking I might just lug it with me over there and sell it.

Curious how long it takes after the new Mac stuff is revealed does it take to show up in Thai stores and is it more expensive than a regular Apple retailer? Thai Apple site says ships in 7-10 days but not sure if that's just an estimate?

The list prices are the same at dealers and the on-line store.

The on-line store says they are "waiting regulatory approval" which is a standard government approval they need to obtain and usually happens very quickly; after which I expect they are available from stock; hence the 7-10 days. I believe you can cancel an order if it hasn't shipped.

The Apple dealer in Central Pattaya lived down to their reputation today by trying to sell me an old model and telling me the new one would be "three months before it reaches Thailand", which is clearly <deleted> as it is already listed on the on-line Thailand store.

Android or other phones with the specs and quality of an iPhone cost just as much if not more.