Thai Jailors Overwhelmed By Number Of Prisoners: Official

webfact

Could be worse, per capita the States and Canada have more.

I think it is a world wide problem with correction officials involved in drugs.

I know I interviewed a prisoner in British Columbia who was in Maximum security. This man had been one of 7 who had started a riot in the New Westminster prison that killed a nurse it has since been torn down. He told me there was some pretty tough characters in there and I said ya I imagine there would be. He said no it was the guards. He told me they were the main supply for Weed in the prisons.

Yes the states have more MUCH more but please do not even put Canada on the same map as the States when in comes to number of prisoners. America is world leading, and Canada is on 133rd place in the world. USA have some 716 prisoners per 100.000 and Canada have some 114 prisoners per 100.000

Thailand have something like 50% of the US figures.......

The scandinavian countries have between 60 - 71 per 100.000, maybe something to learn there I guess.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

thai jails overwhelmed?

Well, as much as I truly love this nation this does not suprise me at all.

I had an incident thanks to thonglor "police" in which I was taken off the street, accused of insulting a policeman and then resisting arrest.

This is complete nonsense.I have never in my life done such a thing.

All I did was complain when a young officer tipped my whole bag out on the top of a taxi after I asked him not to shine a torch directly into my face.

I was polite at all times saying 'please"in english.

I was asked if I wanted to pay a bribe to 'settle" the matter .

I refused and was mildly beaten up in the back of a police van when I objected( one the older officers later told my lawyer that he was sorry that he had to beat me up, but was ordered to by this young officer because I had made him loose face), but only verbally to handcuff's being used.

I paid bail.

I was told there was no way I could contest the charges and that I faced certain jail.A 6 months sentence.

The only way to settle was to pay an even bigger bribe and for my lawyer to make an arrangement with the thonglor head of police.

I smuggled myself across the boarder, went back to my country and changed my name and promotely returned.

I am a law abiding respectful person who has never used violence nor disrespected anyone in a such a way in my entire life.

I had witnesses including a local person but was told this would be useless.A thai judge would only listen to the evidence of a policeman.

This makes me both angry and sad.

This is not a representation of the thai people I have come to know and love.

Recently, I was told of a case where a young man with history of mental issue's was given a passport and travelled to thailand for a holiday.

On his second day here he married a bar lady he met in pattaya and honey mooned in cambodia ( or lao's)

To cut a long story short, her daughter ( from pervious marriage ) was found to be carrying 9 yabaa pills.The devoted wife (with criminal record)persuaded her new husband to say that he had bought the drugs and placed them in this little girls bag because he would not be punished.

He now face's 25 year's for corruption.

This is absurd and no wonder thai jails are over flowing with prisioners if they can do this so easily and unjustly and get away with it.

I now live my life quietly and I hope I never get caught and unjustly put in jail because I simply do not deserve it and would not be able to take such unjust punishment without then seeking retribution.

All I did was complain when a young officer tipped my whole bag out on the top of a taxi after I asked him not to shine a torch directly into my face.

Dude, you should read the "Teaching in Thailand Forum more often...-w00t.gif

Could be worse per capita the States and Canada have more.

I know I interviewed a prisoner in British Columbia who was in Maximum security. This man had been one of 7 who had started a riot in the New Westminster prison that killed a nurse it has since been torn down. He told me there was some pretty tough characters in there and I said ya I imagine there would be. He said no it was the guards. He told me they were the main supply for Weed in the prisons.

If I worked as a prison guard in Thailand with those odds of prisoners versus guards I would surely see that all of the prisoners had weed to smoke. They would be very lethargic and easier to control. Could also do a booming side business on the sale of ,munchies.

"The chief of the Department of Corrections also noted that 70% of convicts are jailed for drug-related sentence, and he feared that Thai prisons are ripe ground for officials to get involved in drug business."

I can't believe he actually said that!

The corrupted officers are not to blame, it's all because there are too many convicts serving time for drugs.

thai jails overwhelmed?

I had an incident thanks to thonglor "police" in which I was taken off the street, accused of insulting a policeman and then resisting arrest.

I refused and was mildly beaten up in the back of a police van when I objected( one the older officers later told my lawyer that he was sorry that he had to beat me up, but was ordered to by this young officer because I had made him loose face), but only verbally to handcuff's being used.

I paid bail.

I was told there was no way I could contest the charges and that I faced certain jail.A 6 months sentence.

The only way to settle was to pay an even bigger bribe and for my lawyer to make an arrangement with the thonglor head of police.

I smuggled myself across the boarder, went back to my country and changed my name and promotely returned.

I am a law abiding respectful person who has never used violence nor disrespected anyone in a such a way in my entire life.

I had witnesses including a local person but was told this would be useless.A thai judge would only listen to the evidence of a policeman.

Recently, I was told of a case where a young man with history of mental issue's was given a passport and travelled to thailand for a holiday.

On his second day here he married a bar lady he met in pattaya and honey mooned in cambodia ( or lao's)

To cut a long story short, her daughter ( from pervious marriage ) was found to be carrying 9 yabaa pills.The devoted wife (with criminal record)persuaded her new husband to say that he had bought the drugs and placed them in this little girls bag because he would not be punished.

This is absurd and no wonder thai jails are over flowing with prisioners if they can do this so easily and unjustly and get away with it.

I now live my life quietly and I hope I never get caught and unjustly put in jail because I simply do not deserve it and would not be able to take such unjust punishment without then seeking retribution.

An interesting story. In view of the treatment by the BIB, I am curious as to why they stopped you. Had you dropped a cigarette?

Perhaps you'd rather not say?

thai jails overwhelmed?

I paid bail.

An interesting story. In view of the treatment by the BIB, I am curious as to why they stopped you. Had you dropped a cigarette?

Perhaps you'd rather not say?

I was stoped because my taxi ran a red light.It was at asok intersection. And I do not really appricate any sort of accusation that the treatment I received was warrented.Even if I did drop a cigerette.I did not urge the driver to run that red light.I was on the phone at the time and was not even aware of what had happened. Suddenly we just stopped and the driver even apogised.I am not a criminal and have never been one.

My pal who works in our provincial prison tells me that although the situation is still under control, the guards are really bricking it on Sundays and public holidays when the staff numbers are reduced. And our prison is only for those with 15 years or less to serve - it must be a seriously frightening job for the screws in larger places at times.

Stop locking people up for drug possession offense. It's not really a criminal act and a waist of resources. Police should fight real crime and prison space should be for real criminals.

It does no good to communities to lock up drug users for minor possession.

These people will figure it out when it over burdens the justice system and jails and the police arent fighting real criminals. Catching people using drugs is easy, catching real criminals takes skills.

Many US states have finally figured it out.

Maybe Government should do something so poverty doesn't force so many people to commit crimes!

Punish them as hard as possible, seems to be doens't working.

Poverty means your'e gonna die due to no food not " I must have a phone"

Lazy people commit crime, its easier to steal than to get up and work 7am-6pm

Could be worse, per capita the States and Canada have more.

Yes the states have more MUCH more but please do not even put Canada on the same map as the States when in comes to number of prisoners. America is world leading, and Canada is on 133rd place in the world. USA have some 716 prisoners per 100.000 and Canada have some 114 prisoners per 100.000

Thailand have something like 50% of the US figures.......

The scandinavian countries have between 60 - 71 per 100.000, maybe something to learn there I guess.

Glegolo

The problem is its NOT COLD enough in Thailand then, there that's the soultionwai2.gif

Maybe Government should do something so poverty doesn't force so many people to commit crimes!

Punish them as hard as possible, seems to be doens't working.

Poverty means your'e gonna die due to no food not " I must have a phone"

Lazy people commit crime, its easier to steal than to get up and work 7am-6pm

Ok food isn't the reason. But who makes people to think "I must have this phone"?

The gap between low and middle class is immense. And the offers for wealthy products are present everywhere. iPhone, Cars, Watches, Clothes, Condos, Town-Houses. The whole country is full of commercial banners. This is all for the upper 30% in Thailand and for the last 70% it is just a dream which is unreachable. The only chance is lottery or starting a criminal career.

What would lower all crime in Thailand? This is a good place to be at, but I think that we all need to look at the "Big Picture". Do you think that an hourly wage ( Let's say $10 an hour for 12 hours equal $120 a day. 6 days a week with overtime of time, and time and a half on holidays) in businesses regardless of what big businesses say about it would work so that the Thai people would have something to work for, and have a goal to achieve like saving for a house, or getting their first car? How about retiring early? What about jobs for people that don't have a college degree? Do you think that there should be jobs out there COUNTRYWIDE instead of a few places here, and there that they could go for work to take care of their family?Of course they will talk about jails overcrowding,and soon they will be releasing the ones who don't pose a risk to society, but can they do a positive change to help them to take care of their families so that they won't have to do drastically measured crimes to be on a revolving door, or be on the one-way route to be strapped onto the gurnee? How about job training for the skills that are lacking in the industries that need them? Just an idea that I didn't have to go to college for Economics to think of, but I don't have to be a rocket scientist to tell anyone a solution.