Where And Why Thais Study Abroad

Neeranam

Thais have been going to John Hopkins for medical degrees since the 1950's. most dr"s at Bumingrad are US board certified. There is no debate that education abroad is for more than just keeping children out of trouble. IMO Kiwi boarding school is not much better than a private school in Bkk or phuket

True, but actually they'd been going for quite some time longer than that. There were government backed programs instituted even before HM The King's Reign whereby the Thai government would send 'elite' kids to schools abroad (mostly in the US and Europe, at the time) to learn the ways of foreigners to bring back to Thailand. The problem was often that they kids who went abroad often were not prepared enough in terms of maturity to learn the most important concepts of modern, Western societies. Some Thai academics have written about the program's failure in this regard. Of course, there are always plenty of exceptional Thais who go abroad and actually learn stuff and actually use it when they get back here to Thailand.

The other driver -- which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is simply that of FACE and the prestige of going to school abroad -- anywhere -- but especially in certain more highly perceived countries like the US and UK. It's the same across Asia -- Japan and Korea included. In Japan it might say something like 'I went to school abroad, so I am well balanced and can be adaptable, perhaps working abroad for my company'. In Thailand, it often says 'I went to school abroad, so my family is wealthy and important, and I should be given any job I apply to over others who were as fortunate to have my status'. Point is, in Thailand, it's largely a FACE builder to goto school abroad.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only yesterday I had a conversation with a Thai university lecturer on the subject of why Thais choose to study overseas, I remarked that I had noticed a change.

20 years ago Thai graduates from overseas universities were often viewed with suspicion back in Thailand - Not quite Thai.

Of late an overseas education is considered a short-cut to promotion.

The idea that it is only rich kids who get these chances is also not true. For sure Imperial College is something of a magnet for very bright Thai scholarship students from all manner of financial backgrounds, other top schools are the same I'm sure.

I've got to be honest, I'm all in favour of Thais studying abroad, in fact the more people exposed to another culture the better. I would just prefer that the Thais don't go about setting up brothels and threatening lecturers with bats if they get bad grades.

Too much to ask? coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I've got to be honest, I'm all in favour of Thais studying abroad, in fact the more people exposed to another culture the better. I would just prefer that the Thais don't go about setting up brothels and threatening lecturers with bats if they get bad grades.

The latter I agree - maybe if there were more brothels there'd be less violence?
  • Like 2

The latter I agree - maybe if there were more brothels there'd be less violence?
Don't tar all Thai students with the same brush. Just because one set up a brothel doesn't mean they all do.

Do you think all Thai women are prostitutes?

Don't tar all Thai students with the same brush. Just because one set up a brothel doesn't mean they all do.

I don't think he is saying they all are but less face it, they either work there or in thai massage when there abroad, some work in restaurants however the money is not great as the Thai bosses rip off there own people as well.

There are so many doing the work they are ruining the rep for the good girls, seems that the good girls are few and far between anyway, they are out there, we all know some, but they are far outnumbered by the lying dishonest bad ones.

• Like 1

I think there is nothing at all wrong with the various forms of "prostitution" between consenting adults - the more neutral term these days is "sex work", also including exotic dancing, and all these should be legalized and lightly regulated to enforce age of consent and health concerns and prevent trafficking and other exploitation.

Therefore I think there's nothing wrong with allowing Thais abroad to work in the sex industry, unless you don't like them competing with the locals.

Putting people into black-and-white categories like "good girls" on the one hand, and "lying dishonest bad ones" on the other is very lazy thinking, and of course unfair to all the morally upright honest kind sex workers out there.

I think there is nothing at all wrong with the various forms of "prostitution" between consenting adults - the more neutral term these days is "sex work", also including exotic dancing, and all these should be legalized and lightly regulated to enforce age of consent and health concerns and prevent trafficking and other exploitation.

Therefore I think there's nothing wrong with allowing Thais abroad to work in the sex industry, unless you don't like them competing with the locals.

Putting people into black-and-white categories like "good girls" on the one hand, and "lying dishonest bad ones" on the other is very lazy thinking, and of course unfair to all the morally upright honest kind sex workers out there.

legalise it, fine, but don't BS me and say they are decent girls, talk true just one time.

• Like 1

legalise it, fine, but don't BS me and say they are decent girls, talk true just one time.

-

-

There is no objective factual reality of meaning behind the word "decent", you are just expressing your embedded cultural programming, probably from your family's religious background that you disapprove of people in that business.

I on the other hand have known many wonderful caring and moral sex workers, fellow students, close friends, ex-wives and co-workers freelancing on the side.

I would much rather my children spend time in their company than most Wall Street bankers and lawyers, police and politicians I know, even engage in that profession themselves if they so choose as long as they're smart about it, much less risky to their morality and sanity than say signing up to be a soldier these days.

So that's my "talking true", hoping you'll open your mind a little bit.

I don't think he is saying they all are but less face it, they either work there or in thai massage when there abroad, some work in restaurants however the money is not great as the Thai bosses rip off there own people as well.

There are so many doing the work they are ruining the rep for the good girls, seems that the good girls are few and far between anyway, they are out there, we all know some, but they are far outnumbered by the lying dishonest bad ones.

Where do you hang out when you come to Thailand?

Do you know many Thai girls who have gone to study in the UK? If so, how many work in brothels part-time?

I know 5 well that certainly didn't. I've lost count of the girls I have known that went to study abroad and they all didn't need extra money.

I think maybe you are talking about women other than students.

Edited by Neeranam

Many sex workers go to farangland under the "cover story" of being students, also as wives of citizens.

Some more genuine in both categories also do some sex work on the side, or end up running off from their previous occupation and "go underground" violating their visas, often able to live for decades without getting caught.

Obviously none of this has anything to do with most of our wives or Thai students, but it's not an insignificant percentage.

• Like 1

whats that got to do with anything, I'm either with my wife and children or my Trainers.

You don't have to hang out with bar girls just because its Thailand.

You were the one who said that lying dishonest (your words) outnumber the good ones. My observation is the opposite, that most women in Thailand are pretty much normal and show none of these traits. So again my question was, where in the heck do you hang out in Thailand to end up being surrounded by such a quantity of dishonest women? Edited by samran

whats that got to do with anything, I'm either with my wife and children or my Trainers.

You were the one who said that lying dishonest (your words) outnumber the good ones. My observation is the opposite, that most women in Thailand are pretty much normal and show none of these traits. So again my question was, where in the heck do you hang out in Thailand to end up being surrounded by such a quantity of dishonest women?

My experience has been the same as yours, Samran. Why do guys like Muythai always gravitate towards the conniving, lowlife women and then assume all Thai women are like that? Perhaps it's the "birds of a feather...." syndrome.

I don't think he is saying they all are but less face it, they either work there or in thai massage when there abroad,

I am based in London and because of a variety of reasons including work and the wife I have be around quite a few Thai students in London.

Suffice to say most (90%+) have no need to work whilst studying, the allowance from their father is probably more than you make in a year. Go to Thai Square club in Trafalgar Square any weekend night and you`ll see these kids drinking £15 cocktails, spending more in a night than many of their countrymen earn in a year.

The remaining 10% tend to work in the countless restaurants across London. The aforementioned Thai Square chain has scores of more middle class Thai students working in it.

• Like 1

I don't think he is saying they all are but less face it, they either work there or in thai massage when there abroad,

I am based in London and because of a variety of reasons including work and the wife I have be around quite a few Thai students in London.

Suffice to say most (90%+) have no need to work whilst studying, the allowance from their father is probably more than you make in a year. Go to Thai Square club in Trafalgar Square any weekend night and you`ll see these kids drinking £15 cocktails, spending more in a night than many of their countrymen earn in a year.

The remaining 10% tend to work in the countless restaurants across London. The aforementioned Thai Square chain has scores of more middle class Thai students working in it.

And that is basically how it works.

You were the one who said that lying dishonest (your words) outnumber the good ones. My observation is the opposite, that most women in Thailand are pretty much normal and show none of these traits. So again my question was, where in the heck do you hang out in Thailand to end up being surrounded by such a quantity of dishonest women?

was more refering to the dishonest part, don't tell most Thai's are honest.

Thai's are about as honest or dishonest as you'll find anywhere in the world.

There are social rules and norms, like anywhere else, which aren't exactly rocket science to figure out. But if a poor sod has left his brain on the plane, like many do, then they are going to struggle to figure out these things.

Edited by samran

My experience has been the same as yours, Samran. Why do guys like Muythai always gravitate towards the conniving, lowlife women and then assume all Thai women are like that? Perhaps it's the "birds of a feather...." syndrome.

can you you write down what my Thai friends do for a living please, I would like a complete detailed list, by saying I gravitate towards lowlifes you must know exactly what they do.

give me an accurate list, if you cannot,or if you make a mistake that makes you a liar, you cannot of coarse do it because you cannot so much as even name one of my friends, therefore you just sat here on Thai visa and told a blatant lie.

I will help you, my closest friend moat hosts a soccer show on TV, called Thai football table, other friend is a policeman, we hang out with our partners.

There are more of coarse but don't assume because we talk about what you call lowlifes that we hang with them, that was just your sad pathetic excuse to have a dig rather then just talk normal.

Thai's are about as honest or dishonest as you'll find anywhere in the world.

There are social rules and norms, like anywhere else, which aren't exactly rocket science to figure out. But if a poor sod has left his brain on the plane, like many do, then they are going to struggle to figure out these things.

they are not as honest as others that's rubbish. some are honest but the majority are full of it.

• Like 1

they are not as honest as others that's rubbish. some are honest but the majority are full of it.

Clearly you just don't have a clue how to read people if that is you conclusion. That, and you don't get out much.

can you you write down what my Thai friends do for a living please, I would like a complete detailed list, by saying I gravitate towards lowlifes you must know exactly what they do.

give me an accurate list, if you cannot,or if you make a mistake that makes you a liar, you cannot of coarse do it because you cannot so much as even name one of my friends, therefore you just sat here on Thai visa and told a blatant lie.

I will help you, my closest friend moat hosts a soccer show on TV, called Thai football table, other friend is a policeman, we hang out with our partners.

There are more of coarse but don't assume because we talk about what you call lowlifes that we hang with them, that was just your sad pathetic excuse to have a dig rather then just talk normal.

Perhaps your reading comprehension is a bit weak. Let me refresh. These are your comments:

"There are so many doing the work they are ruining the rep for the good girls, seems that the good girls are few and far between anyway, they are out there, we all know some, but they are far outnumbered by the lying dishonest bad ones."

So the lying, dishonest bad ones "far outnumber" the good girls. Again, your words.

Samran and I have suggested that our experiences have been vastly different. Completely different. 100% different. As if you and we are talking about completely different countries. So are you calling us liars?

This seems to be turning quite nasty (which is often the way of thaivisa!)
I will probably get stung for dipping my toe in here (with regards the the "honesty" point).
Personally i have found that as a nation in general, lies (or not 100% truths, for a better way of putting it), is considered to be less of a big deal than in many other countries.
I am speaking in general terms. Of course i have extremely honest Thai friends, and i also believe the majority of thai people would do nothing to intentionally harm or offend. (which is maybe why "untruths" are told in some cases..because they wish to protect the other person from being possibly offended or upset, or wish to protect themselves from losing face).

In some cases unneccessary lies are told, such as where did you go (they went to the river, but will say they went to the market)..only because i think they just say whatever for conversation sake.
But i do believe in general Thai culture allows for twisting the truth or even making things up, often for absolutely no reason, and its accepted as just the way it is.
My apologies if my own thoughts on this offends.

.. its very very veryyyy off-topic now.

• Like 1

I wonder if the OP can even speak Thai?

Yes I can, why?

Aplogies, was thinnking that MuayThai2013 was the OP.

I know you can tongue.png

OK , no problems mate. Although I can speak reasonable Thai, nowhere as near well as you, I'm sure.