Thai Army

Dirk_brijs

Anybody in here has some knoweldge about the Thai army on how it works is it like any western army when joined you have opportunities for education and so on??

Gf has a 15 year old son and he would like to join the army I think it would even be a smart choice (that is if they are a bit organised) seeing his high chances of failure as a 15 year old boy in Pattaya with nothing much at hand for them.

Any sites available or anyone knows some contacts??

Anybody in here has some knoweldge about the Thai army on how it works is it like any western army when joined you have opportunities for education and so on??

Gf has a 15 year old son and he would like to join the army I think it would even be a smart choice (that is if they are a bit organised) seeing his high chances of failure as a 15 year old boy in Pattaya with nothing much at hand for them.

Dirk just one thing to bare in mind. Tne military are suffering from a lack of recruits at the moment due to the troubles in the South. It can be quite dangerous down there and a few soldiers have been killed.

This may not apply to the navy, and it may not apply to volunteers - but I suggest you check it out.

that is why I am looking into it. Sometimes the advantages weigh up against the dangers the job might bring. And surely it brings dangers but i am sure year after year more people who drive a car die then soldiers die but that wouldnt question you someone deciding to become a chaffeur or something now would it?

Still trying to figuere out though if there are any advantages to the Thai military as stated previously chance of education and so on??

anyone who can help?

Ministry of Defence

The Thai military establishment historically has played an important role in the country's national life. Composed of heterogeneous elements of regular cadres and conscripts, the armed forces in mid-1987 had a total strength of approximately 273,000 officers and enlisted personnel on active duty. Component services included the Royal Thai Army of 190,000, the Royal Thai Navy of 40,000, and the Royal Thai Air Force of 43,000. The navy's personnel strength included 20,000 marines.

The military's reputation as the center of political power manifested itself in nearly a score of coups and countercoups between 1932 and 1987. Over the years, its role as a political instrument had detracted from its abilities as a professional military force. Doubts about the state of combat readiness had been expressed by some members of the Thai officer corps as well as by foreign military observers. By the 1980s, the military had acted to increase the professionalism of its personnel-- particularly the officer corps--and to modernize its units and weaponry.

The Thai Armed Forced are divided into three branches: the Royal Thai Army (RTA), Royal Thai Navy (RTN) and Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF). The Thai soldiers are composed of professional cover soldiers and those recruited by conscription. Every male aged twenty is subject to two years military service. Students are allowed deferments until they have graduated.

The King is Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Armed Forced and the Cabinet is the instrument through which national security policy is formulated. A National Security Council, composed of a number of ministers, is charged with coordinating the maintenance of national security.

Largely because of the advice and military aid received from the United States in the decades since World War II, Thailand's military establishment reflected to some degree the influence of American defence practices. This was particularly apparent in the organizational structure of its high command.

Although the 1978 Constitution--like its predecessors--declares that the king is the head of the armed forces, his role is chiefly ceremonial. Until 1957 functional control was generally exercised by the prime minister through the minister of defence. Both positions were important in the national power structure, but they were usually held by political appointees who had little actual authority over the troops.

As the military establishment grew in size and proficiency, control over its operations became vested in the supreme commander of the armed forces. Over the years the influence inherent in the job marked it as a logical springboard to the prime minister's office. Even in periods dominated by military regimes, the various heads of government watched the activities of the supreme commander warily, realizing that their own positions of authority were subject in large measure to his concurrence. This pattern is exemplified by the military coup d'etat of September 1957 in which Sarit Thanarat took over the government. Assuming control of the military establishment as prime minister, Sarit further ensured his position of authority in April 1960 by securing a royal decree that designated him supreme commander as well. This title was similarly assumed by Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn, who succeeded Sarit as prime minister in 1963.

Despite past successes in using this seemingly traditional basis of influence, the supreme commander with political ambitions was still subject to the military retirement system. According to the Military Service Act of 1954, retirement at age sixty was mandatory for all military personnel. A year after General Kriangsak became prime minister in 1977 he had to relinquish his additional position as supreme commander of the armed forces because of the military retirement age.

Throughout the history of military governments in Thailand, the effective authority wielded by the prime minister depended, in large measure, on support from the real center of military power--the army commander in chief, who controlled the field forces--and on the adroitness of the prime minister in garnering such support for himself. Prime Minister Kriangsak was successful in this regard in 1978 when he appointed the commander of the Second Army, General Prem Tinsulanonda--a respected professional soldier--commander in chief of the army. ln June 1979 Prem was given the additional position of minister of defence within the Council of Ministers. Prem went on from these posts to succeed Kriangsak as prime minister in 1980. General Arthit Kamlangek served as both army commander in chief and supreme commander of the armed forces until 1986, when he lost the former title as a result of his outspoken opposition to Prime Minister Prem. Arthit retired from active duty in 1986.

On national security matters that required coordinated cabinet action or presented a serious threat to the country's sovereignty, the prime minister was advised by the National Security Council. This body consisted of the prime minister as chairman; his deputies; the council's secretary general; the ministers of defence, foreign affairs, interior, communications, and finance; and the supreme commander of the armed forces. Traditionally the prime minister dominated the workings of the council.

General Thammarak Isarangura was Minister of Defence as of 11 March 2005.

The Defence Ministry coordinates administration of the armed forces. The expenditures of the Defence Ministry are among the greatest of any ministry, absorbing a large proportion of the total national budget. Thailand's fighting forces are governed by the Supreme Command Headquarters which is staffed by leaders of the Army, Navy and Air Force.

The Ministry of Defence supervises the operations and administration of the military establishment and coordinated military policies with those of other governmental agencies concerned with national security. The defence minister received advice on military matters--particularly those pertaining to draft laws, budget allocations, mobilization, training, and deployment of the armed forces in response to national need--from the ministry's Defence Council. This body comprised the minister of defence as chairman; his two deputy ministers; the undersecretary of defence; the supreme commander of the armed forces; the chief of staff of the Supreme Command; the commanders in chief of the three services, their deputies, and chiefs of staff; and not more than three additional general officers selected for their outstanding ability.

In 1960, the role and the duty of the ministry of defence were defined in article 4 of the ministry of defence act. The article states that the ministry of defence has authority and duty in defending and maintaining the stability of the Kingdom from external and internal threats. The military force is established to protect the monarchy, to fight the rebels and the riots, to develop the country and to protect the national interests as defined by law.

The ministry of defence reorganized its structures in order to accomplish its mission according to the defence act. The ministry consists of four main units as follows:

Office of the secretary to the minister

Royal aide-de-camp department

Supreme command headquarters

Office of the permanent secretary

The office of the permanent secretary of defence is responsible for general duties in the ministry, and tasks that are not assigned to specific organisations. Its responsibilities include providing advice and assisting minister of defence in planning, supervising, ordering, following up, as well as implementing defence policies and coordinating the practice of all units in the ministry of defence which are the supreme command headquarters and the armed services with other government agencies,supporting the practice of supreme command headquarters and armed services defence policies regarding defence energies, defence industries, defence research and development and other assignments. As for the office of permanent secretary, there consists seven sub - units with their own responsibilities as follows:

Office of the permanent secretary headquarters

Office of policy and planning

Secretariat department

Judge advocate general's department

Finance department

Defence industry and energy center

Office of defence audit

The Office of the Secretary to the Minister of Defence is responsible for political issues of the minister. The office has two sections, political section and petition auditing section.

The Royal Aide-de-Camp Department is responsible for all duties concerning security of their majesties the king and queen, the crown prince and members of the royal family.

The Supreme Command Headquarters is the main operational component of the Ministry of Defence. It acts as the supreme command unit of the royal thai armed forces. Its missions are to prepare armed forces for combat readiness defend the kingdom. The headquarters headed by the supreme commander has the following sub - units: the Royal Thai Army, the Royal Thai Navy, the Royal Thai Air Force and Other Sub - Units as Stipulated in the Defence Act.

Each of the three armed services is headed by a commander in chief who was directly responsible to the supreme commander of the armed forces for the combat readiness and operation of his units. Although the three components were equal under the law, the army was in fact the dominant service. Key positions in both the armed forces high command structure and the cabinets of military regimes traditionally were held by senior army officers. In order to ensure support from the other services, however, senior officers from the navy, air force, and police occasionally were appointed to a few key ministries. In general the structural form of service units and the method of their employment were similar to those of comparable United States military components, although they differed in size and in the technological sophistication of their equipment.

I'll PM you!

Sorry I don't have any knowledge about the Thai army.

But, he's 15 :o ....isn't it a much better choice to try and let him study as long as possible instead of joining an army at such a young age :D ?

Surely there must be a lot of opportunities for him for a study (for example a university or even abroad) rather than the army?

LaoPo

he is a styrange case he isnt interested in anything like most Thai kids i guess.

Not in school or in sports. When asked what it is he wants he mentions the army we told him several times that the army wouldnt be like home sleep long time and watch TV all day and he says that is what he wants so he if he wants it why not and I am pretty sure an army would move his ass. he might regret his choice after 2 weeks or maybe even 2 days but i guess that is something he will have to be living with.

I think it might actualy be something good for him.

Again he isnt officers material as his education hasnt been all that but cant regular people join some sort of proffesionaly the army and sdtart over again from there??

Again he isnt officers material as his education hasnt been all that but cant regular people join some sort of proffesionaly the army and sdtart over again from there??

He's still too young but in 2 years time he can try his luck with this lot: www.legion-recrute.com.

If he is a big, tough kid, that is one thing, but more than likely, at only 15, he wil be smaller than the rest and open to serious physical and emotional abuse.

Do not send him!!

Try apprentice school.

Motorcycle mechanic school

Electrician school

Plumbing school

Diesel mechanic school

If he is a typical young Thai boy, he wil not look at motorcycle mechanic training as school. I believe that Honda and other motorcycle manfacturers have education programs

he is a styrange case he isnt interested in anything like most Thai kids i guess.

Not in school or in sports. When asked what it is he wants he mentions the army we told him several times that the army wouldnt be like home sleep long time and watch TV all day and he says that is what he wants so he if he wants it why not and I am pretty sure an army would move his ass. he might regret his choice after 2 weeks or maybe even 2 days but i guess that is something he will have to be living with.

I think it might actualy be something good for him.

Try www.rta.mi.th

Or www.navy.mi.th

Only in thai and I don't read the language. I put in the navy site as the base is in Sattahip where I live and there seem to be lots of young guys having a training in some profession. I believe age limit is 18, but apprentices are taken on as cadets before this.

If he is a big, tough kid, that is one thing, but more than likely, at only 15, he wil be smaller than the rest and open to serious physical and emotional abuse.

Do not send him!!

Try apprentice school.

Motorcycle mechanic school

Electrician school

Plumbing school

Diesel mechanic school

If he is a typical young Thai boy, he wil not look at motorcycle mechanic training as school. I believe that Honda and other motorcycle manfacturers have education programs

Some good advice here and well worth considering.

My wife has 3 younger brothers. All only had basic education up country. The first two trained as car mechanics and the youngest, now 18, is in BKK completing his car electrical training. The eldest, now married in his mid 20's works for Toyota in Bangkok, and gets a very good salary, plus generous bonuses. The second works in Chon Buri as a car mechanic, is also married, and is doing OK. He hopes to join his brother in BKK some time soon. The youngest brother is still at full time mechanics' school, but does some part time work in the evenings and weekends for pocket money. I am putting him through school, but its not expensive. When he finishes, he will go and work for Toyota.

To get on in any line of work here you have to have papers and certificates to show you are qualified in that field. Without the paper work, most companies will not consider you and you are doomed to low paid work for the rest of your life. If he doesn't go into the military, he must get a qualification. If you get him in at one of these vocational colleges, he will probably make new friends and get along better with life. All the best. :o

My wife and I have talked often about this. She has three brothers and a nephew who have passed through the conscription process in Thailand and here are my best understandings of what goes on. Maybe, these understandings may be off the mark but, overall, it's probably a good synopsis.

1. Conscription is the normal way of joining the Thai army. Sevice is for 2 years.

2. Conscription is mandatory and applies to every Thai male from the age of 17 or 18 years up.

3. There are very few reasons for avoiding conscription. Even if a person joins the monkhood or goes to university, conscription is put on hold but not called off.

4. Potential recruits are summoned by letter (to where I'm not sure) where they pick a number. If the number is red, conscription is required. If the number is black, conscription is excused.

5. Most conscripts are assigned to a 'trade' e.g. electrician, HGV driver, motor mechanic, cook etc.

6. Occasionally, the Thai Army will insert, in the national press, an invitation for volunteers.

7. Soldiers based in the south of Thailand are paid a danger bonus.

7. After the army service is completed, or if army service was excused, every Thai male should possess a letter confirming that there is no further army service or obligation is necessary. This letter has to be shown to employers when applying for a job in civvy street.

My wife's nephew served two years in the Thai army, stationed at Prachuab Kiri Khan where he was trained as an electrician and, when he was demobbed, he acquired a good job in Khorat. He has had no formal higher education and, if he had not been conscripted, it is most unlikely that he would have had a job now.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that all 3 brothers got lucky at the draft lottery. :D

My wife tells me that the lottery takes place when they are 17 but they don't actually start service until they are 20. In other words they have to wait about 3 years after they are selected. I think that also applies to volunteers, so so boy is bit young. There may be a cadet school he could go to though.

I think I remember reading somewhere that volunteers avoid serving in the South, but couldn't vouch for that. :o

I worked with the Royal Thai army, during the 70's on a UK/Thai government exchange program (SF)

The Thai Army ws badly under funded then, but the troops we worked with were professional enough (and we used a Thai interpreter) admidtedly we never had the terrost problems there are today, we were doing border patrols up north, mainly in the 'golden triagle area looking for drug smugglers

I never saw any of the soldiers/troops bullied or picked on, but these were seasoned soldiers with a good few years expeirience behind them, the officers seemed to consider themselves above everyone though and would only speak through the interpreter

I joined the UK army when I was 15, and I enjoyed my time in the army, but I did get a trade out of it, does the Royal Thai army prepare any one for civilian life (or are they destined to be security guards)

It will make him grow up very quickly and you do learn to stick up for yourself (I dont think the Royal Thai Army goes anywhere though, so it might be 'home' postings all the time :o )

I'd like to know how the lad gets on if he does join up, though

If you already in Pattaya why not visit/contact the Naval Base in Sattahip ,they must have recruitment officers to provide information.

Passed the Naval Academy in Samut Prakarn many times and some of the recruits/cadets look no older than 15-16 years.

Have myself visited some bases(Lopburi and Sattahip) and found the training professional .