Thai Gun Laws

seajae

Hi all, just need to make myself aware of this if it is illegal or not. Tonight we had to go the Tesco Lotus(Surat Thani) to grab a few things, on the way we drove behind a guy on a bike wearing pants/jeans and a singlet. Belted around his waste was a rather large pistol in a holster and quite a few rounds of ammo, I actually couldnt get over the fact that it was not a police/army holster but a cut away design for quick removal(I am ex armed forces) with no guard. lock strap to stop it from falling out, again for ease of removal , We followed him for a klm or so then passed him, pretty rugged looking bloke, not big in stature, wife thought he looked a bit crazy. I would have to agree as he rode past the police check point and down a main street with the gun extremely obvious. Are there any regulations about wearing guns in the public domain in Thailand?, I really have no idea but can now understand why there are so many shootings after seeing this <deleted>, very blatant display, guess it made him feel tough, hahahaha

• Like 1

Probably someone who is well-known and/or liked by the local cops, most likely an off-duty cop or soldier, perhaps of rank.

In which case he's pretty safe in his belief that the letter of the law doesn't apply to him.

Probably someone who is well-known and/or liked by the local cops, most likely an off-duty cop or soldier, perhaps of rank.

In which case he's pretty safe in his belief that the letter of the law doesn't apply to him.

I am really strugging to understand the point of this post, as stated he went through a police check point and they didnt have problem, so cant understand why the OP has ?... based on what is written the guy riding the bike did nothing to the OP but yet the OP is saying the guy is crazy and a w*nker..rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I'm from Canada where only the criminals and police are allowed to carry handguns. It doesn't bother me what goes on in other countries that I have no control over. If the country or area within the country is dangerous then I just stay away.

I was walking along a side street in Kanchanaburi and a Thai man was sitting outside a café calmly cleaning 2 handguns. I stopped for a brief chat and admired his guns. Nobody else thought anything about it.

I've observed regularly in my wife's hometown. They are the police and never gave them second thought.

Nothing to worry about.

Tell that to the Canadian woman and her Canadian male friend who were shot by a Thai policeman in Pai a year or so ago. The Canadian man was killed while trying to protect the woman from the jealous cop.

• Like 1

I'm from Canada where only the criminals and police are allowed to carry handguns.

I'm sure, if you had your time again, you would have rephrased that comment ... laugh.png

BTW, in Society ... if guns are the answer ... it's a silly question.

I am really strugging to understand the point of this post, as stated he went through a police check point and they didnt have problem, so cant understand why the OP has ?... based on what is written the guy riding the bike did nothing to the OP but yet the OP is saying the guy is crazy and a w*nker..rolleyes.gif

I didnt say he went through a police check, he rode past it, it hardly ever operates as they are all sitting inside where it is cool. I take it that you are one of the gun lobby rednecks that think everyone should carry a weapon or dont you care who carries a gun or why. AS far as I know it is illegal to carry firearms in most western countries especially when it is so openly displayed as this was.

Are you sure it wasn't a paint ball gun or air pistol?

I have been associated with guns for a lot of years in the forces and as a shooter, I know the difference and I also know what bullets look like. Although I cannot name the gun it looked very similar to a magnum, the old style pistol grip and heavy barrel, the bullets in the belt were also a heavy callibre.

I didnt say he went through a police check, he rode past it, it hardly ever operates as they are all sitting inside where it is cool. I take it that you are one of the gun lobby rednecks that think everyone should carry a weapon or dont you care who carries a gun or why. AS far as I know it is illegal to carry firearms in most western countries especially when it is so openly displayed as this was.

-

Don't know about "most western" countries, but in the US - which I assume you're talking about with your redneck reference - it's much more acceptable to openly carry weapons. Carrying them concealed often requires a more stringent license.

And there is widespread support for the right to bear arms among high-income well-educated city dwellers there, not just "rednecks" whatever that may mean to you. Many would like to see curbs on automatic weapons and more stringent controls, but few Americans think the 2nd amendment should be completely repealed.

Just as we're willing to accept the death toll from allowing cigarettes, alcohol and private cars, there are tradeoffs, and the US is a democracy perhaps almost as much as Thailand and the UK, when enough people want to reduce deaths by guns the laws will get passed.

• Like 1

I'm from Canada where only the criminals and police are allowed to carry handguns.

I'm sure, if you had your time again, you would have rephrased that comment ... laugh.png

BTW, in Society ... if guns are the answer ... it's a silly question.

I meant it exactly how I wrote it. When I said Canada allows criminals to have handguns I meant it. The Canadian justice system is a joke. Criminals in Canada are rotated through the system and back out on the street again with little or no jail time. Virtually every criminal has a rap sheet several pages long and yet they are still walking around free. Canada looked after a Thai criminal in so called "house arrest" in his palatial home for over 10 years until he could no longer be deported. His crime was he had stolen close to a billion dollars from the Thai banking system. It's only the honest Canadian citizen who pays taxes who suffers.

• Like 1

But not in the usual sense of the word "allow", or else you'd say Canada allows its citizens to murder each other too.

And Canada does allow its citizens to own guns, apparently 1 in 15 of-age Canadians are registered to do so, with about 10 million guns in civilian hands there.

The answer to the question is that it is legal to own and carry a gun if it's licensed, unless it was licensed under the purpose of 'keepsake' which has the softest registration criteria.

• Like 1

Some time ago went to one of those parent day things at the kids school. The teachers made speeches and the kids got prizes and then there was a parade round the school grounds.

We were standing around with the kids after the parade like most of the other parents getting ready to leave when a guy (Thai) next to us who bent down to help his small daughter with her coat.

As he bent over the back of his shirt rode up to reveal a automatic tucked in belt at the back.

Why would anyone bring a gun to a school gathering with all those parents and kids around.

w00t.gif

I take it that you are one of the gun lobby rednecks that think everyone should carry a weapon or dont you care who carries a gun or why. AS far as I know it is illegal to carry firearms in most western countries especially when it is so openly displayed as this was.

I not American, so I cant be a red-neck, further I carried a concealed firearm for many years in one country I lived in and used it a counple of times in "anger"...as to being part of the gun lobby...you couldnt be further from the truth, I personally dont believe fire arms should be carried by anyone in civvy street.

It may be illegal to carry a firearm in most western countries, but the last time I looked Toto, you aint in a western country...the guy concerned didnt nothing to you, but yet you called him crazy and a w*nker and started questioning the legality of what he is doing, if you believe what he is doing is illegal talk to the BiB then

Licenses for the possession and using of guns and ammunition are issued to individuals only for the following purposes: self-defense, protection of property, sports or hunting.Licenses must also be obtained for the possession of guns as keepsakes.

I take it that you are one of the gun lobby rednecks that think everyone should carry a weapon or dont you care who carries a gun or why. AS far as I know it is illegal to carry firearms in most western countries especially when it is so openly displayed as this was.

I not American, so I cant be a red-neck, further I carried a concealed firearm for many years in one country I lived in and used it a counple of times in "anger"...as to being part of the gun lobby...you couldnt be further from the truth, I personally dont believe fire arms should be carried by anyone in civvy street.

It may be illegal to carry a firearm in most western countries, but the last time I looked Toto, you aint in a western country...the guy concerned didnt nothing to you, but yet you called him crazy and a w*nker and started questioning the legality of what he is doing, if you believe what he is doing is illegal talk to the BiB then

There are rednecks in every country, not just the USA. Jeff Foxworthy (an American comedian) said that if you drive 40 km outside of any large city you will find rednecks. I think this is very true. Rednecks are rural/farm people, that some would say are not sophisticated.