International call for human rights protection in Thailand

webfact

International call for human rights protection in Thailand
By English News

13710011203157.jpg

BANGKOK, June 12 – Amnesty International (AI) has called on Thailand to press for human rights protection in Southeast Asia, abolish shackles among inmates and stop pushing Rohingya ethnic migrants from the kingdom.

In a meeting with Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday, AI secretary general Salil Shetty handed over the 2013 report on human rights situation to the Thai leader.

Mr Shetty said Thailand should be a driving force in encouraging Southeast Asian countries to enhance human rights protection in addition to educating their peoples on the global practice.

The non-government organisation expressed appreciation for Thailand’s decision to unshackle inmates and urged the Thai government to refrain from capital punishment to show the country’s respect for human dignity and value.

Mr Shetty said Amnesty submitted an open letter to Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul on Monday, seeking human rights protection for migrant workers and Rohingya refugees in Thailand.

The organisation said the Thai government should not push Rohingya refugees’ boats to the high seas and to release the refugees to avoid breaching international laws.

The Thai government should cooperate with Southeast Asian countries in solving the Rohingya migrant problem with Myanmar, the Amnesty International secretary general said.

He said Thailand should refrain from issuing laws that restrict people’s rights and freedom of expression and should unconditionally release prisoners whose ideologies contradicted the government's.

Ms Yingluck reportedly gave assurances that the Thai government has treated migrant workers and refugees under appropriate human rights principles.

She added that Thailand has seen positive development on capital punishment which is in accord with international laws on human rights.

Capital punishment has been reduced for delinquents below 18 years old while the punishment is prohibited against pregnant women, women with infants and mentally-unstable convicts, she said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-12

Mr. Shetty said Thailand should not enact laws restricting people's rights or freedom of expression and it seems the PM did not respond to that point unlike the others raised.

However the government doesn't really need new laws to restrict freedom of expression as they will happily twist the existing ones to suit their purposes.

When have laws meant anything in Thailand? Laws are for non-Thais.

Forget "Amazing Thailand". The new motto is "We do What We Want". WdWWW.

Has a global connotation don't you think? Similar to WWW.

When have laws meant anything in Thailand? Laws are for non-Thais.

Forget "Amazing Thailand". The new motto is "We do What We Want". WdWWW.

Has a global connotation don't you think? Similar to WWW.

Laws in Thailand only matter according to how rich you are.

but no talk about basic human rights for us expats who live here, have family, children, etc.... (right to own your house, land, company, right to stay with your family)

your right,but unfortunatly we knew the rules when we came here,,,,,,,

I think Thailand has a wonderful human rights record.

Why, sometimes even when a criminal has committed many crimes they will go out of their way to make life as easy as possible for them.

oooooooooow suits you sir hahahahaha

For anyone to take this project on is playing with danger, has DSI found the human rights lawyer that disappeared awhile ago, this has always sat very uneasy with Thai's, interfering with people trafficking ,corruption and just being a plain nuisance brings on lead poison very quickly , anyone brave enough, go ahead.

It is way beyond dead easy to make fun of Thailand's two laws, one for the rich and none for the poor. But credit, great credit, should be given the Prime Minister for willing to meet with and be foto-op'd with Amnesty International. There would have been no such meeting under the Yellow Shirts or the fascist Army chiefs.

but no talk about basic human rights for us expats who live here, have family, children, etc.... (right to own your house, land, company, right to stay with your family)

If I had wanted those rights I would not have moved here.

Back on topic

"The Thai government should cooperate with Southeast Asian countries in

solving the Rohingya migrant problem with Myanmar, the Amnesty

International secretary general said."

I very much dislike the PT but in all fairness to them who is willing to help out? It seems to me that if they are on Thai soil the willingness to help them from other countries disappears.

One thing they could do is fill there water craft up with fuel and food then shove them back out to sea.

Not really familiar that much with the situation but I was under the under standing that when and if they reach Malaysia they will be taken care of. Not sure where Indonesia stands on having them land there.

I am not any good at reading body language but did that Photo show Yingluck totally concerned with the camera while she gave a half as-d hand shake.

Like I say not good at things like that any one else see it.

Edited by hellodolly

Back on topic

I very much dislike the PT but in all fairness to them who is willing to help out? It seems to me that if they are on Thai soil the willingness to help them from other countries disappears.

One thing they could do is fill there water craft up with fuel and food then shove them back out to sea.

Not really familiar that much with the situation but I was under the under standing that when and if they reach Malaysia they will be taken care of. Not sure where Indonesia stands on having them land there.

I am not any good at reading body language but did that Photo show Yingluck totally concerned with the camera while she gave a half as-d hand shake.

No room for Humanity then in today's Brave New World! I think nations have a bigger responsibility than just looking after themselves. Mind you when a nation is hell bent on raiding the national treasury to fill the pockets of the politicians and the already rich, at the expense of the woefully poor, I guess you SHOULD expect no quarter for the even more woefully poor people from outside.

Back on topic

Slightly off-topic, but the Rohingya issue and your comments just remind me of good old Britain. The dumping ground of the world, and with the Human Rights laws, a safe haven for international terrorists.

It is way beyond dead easy to make fun of Thailand's two laws, one for the rich and none for the poor. But credit, great credit, should be given the Prime Minister for willing to meet with and be foto-op'd with Amnesty International. There would have been no such meeting under the Yellow Shirts or the fascist Army chiefs.

The trouble is that's probably all this is. A photo op.

I hope I'm proved wrong. In which case well done.

Back on topic

"I am not any good at reading body language but did that Photo show Yingluck totally concerned with the camera while she gave a half as-d hand shake.

Like I say not good at things like that any one else see it."

Spot on for an awkward moment. Ms Sincerity 2012 in action.

Remember Mr Salil Shetty is Indian and, well, you know, he's a .............

She was all over Obama like a rash, not with this gentleman.