3 Thai universities make Asian top 100, but rankings drop

webfact

3 Thai unis make Asian top 100, but rankings drop
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has three universities in QS University Rankings' top 100 higher-education institutions in Asia this year, but they are falling behind their peers.

The rankings, which were released on www.topuniversities.com this week, show Mahidol University dropping to 42nd from 38th last year, Chulalongkorn University retreating to 48th from 43rd and Chiang Mai University slipping to 98th from 91st.

Although Thammasat did not make it in the top 100, it improved to 107th from 110th. Now in its fifth edition, QS University Rankings provides an essential overview of higher education in one of the world's most dynamic and rapidly developing regions.

Covering the top 300 institutions in Asia, the rankings are based on nine indicators including academic reputation, employer reputation, papers per faculty and citations per paper.

"The top three institutions are all scoring well in the citation per paper indicator, showing that even though research productivity could be greatly improved, its impact is actually quite encouraging," Ben Sowter of QS said.

"Chulalongkorn University stands out for its scores in the reputational indicators, being considered highly by both academics and employers. Mahi-dol University is the next best Thai performer in those indicators," he said.

However, Thai universities have to keep pace with their rivals in one of the most competitive and dynamic regions in the world, he said.

Hong Kong University of Science and Technology retains the top spot it gained in 2011, a remarkable achievement for an institution that is just 22 years old.

The survey also shows a five-year surge in international students studying at ranked institutions in the region, from 175,286 in 2009 to 255,212 this year. Total international faculty has grown from 21,223 to 35,677.

Asian universities have gained significant ground on their Western counterparts and could overtake them within two decades, it added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-13

"Mahidol University dropping to 42nd from 38th last year,

Chulalongkorn University retreating to 48th from 43rd

Chiang Mai University slipping to 98th from 91st."

98th out of 100 for CM Uni. And that's just Asian universities. Yingluck's old Alma Mater

http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-in-asia?page=2

Am I missing something?

Does it mention academic achievement?

Would be difficult to measure. Thai students meander from Kindergarten to Prathom, through Mathyom and automatically into University.

Yes and depending on your family name or their being to pay academic ability isn't necessary.

• Like 2

'indicators like reputation...employer reputation..papers per faculty' This is a joke. How about job placement, scores, difficulty level of studies, achievement...Chula's scores? They're known to be good at changing grades to help those who have what they feel are important surnames. In addition, my company gets a surplus of chula applicants who apply to positions unrelated to what they study, which says something.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 2

More and more over the years I see job adverts where the qualifications section says " foreign degree preferred ". Shows how much local education is valued so just wait until the new Asian grouping comes in and Thais try to complete for jobs in other countries

'indicators like reputation...employer reputation..papers per faculty' This is a joke. How about job placement, scores, difficulty level of studies, achievement...Chula's scores? They're known to be good at changing grades to help those who have what they feel are important surnames. In addition, my company gets a surplus of chula applicants who apply to positions unrelated to what they study, which says something.

I read an article some years ago that suggested around 25% of Chula students were there because of who they were and not because they had achieved entry through merit, but no surprise there.

On the aspect of job applications I once had four female students all Air traffic Controllers at the local airport who wanted to brush up their English ahead of a required exam. They were all friends from uni days where they had all obtained degrees in Political Science !

In Thailand there's an attitude if you've been to uni you can do any job irrespective of what you may have studied.

I wonder what position would Ramkhamhaeng University be. Because It's the biggest in Thailand with almost half million students..

Seems quite a few of the Thai politicans claim to have a degree from said university. With that kind of alumni and their subsquent climb to fame/wealth, it has to be in the rankings, just depends on what your looking for, as the end result.

I wonder what position would Ramkhamhaeng University be. Because It's the biggest in Thailand with almost half million students..

When you can purchase the exam answers at the door of the exam rooms, or download the latest results free online from document sites like scribd etc in which classmates uploaded them; I'd say at the very, very bottom (worldwide). Seems to resemble distance learning and for those who didn't pass entrances to other institutions.

Edited by gemini81

This is one list of a hundred.
Completely subjective regarding the methodology and the weighting factors.
No differentiation in terms of subjects.

This List is in parts more than questionable.
Chiang Mai University no 98th
Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen no 150th.
ups, did not know that the Chinag Mai University have such excellent research facilitys and laboratories.

Think this is more a PR list by name recognition as to quality of research and teaching.

• Like 1

In world rankings it is 201, which isnt too shabby, but a lot further down the ladder than the 40's suggested-that is if you believe the metrics used to rank universities is valid and reliable measure of excellence.

ups, did not know that the Chinag Mai University have such excellent research facilitys and laboratories.

Think this is more a PR list by name recognition as to quality of research and teaching.

Maybe you can find us a different list where the Thai unis are ranked significantly higher.

No the ranking methodologies are not completely subject. Different and subject to some variation in results.

These are uni rankings, not dept rankings. Some depts in some unis better than comparative depts in higher ranking unis but that is another subject.

Not one mention, not even a hint, of tight shirts and abbreviated skirts. Without this valuable criteria how can a reasonable judgement be made?

I think it is clear anyway that university girls' uniforms (or the way in which they choose to dress) here are by far the best in the world.

brfsa2. Is the University you mentioned in Sri Racha, Chonburi Province ? Sounds like ' Rachamongkon' when the the thai's name it. If so that's the place my gf is studying.

Where are Mahidol and Chulalongkhorn Uni's ? BKK ?

Asian universities have gained significant ground on their Western counterparts and could overtake them within two decades, it added.

Look out Harvard and Cambridge.

In two decades maybe Tokyo, Hong Kong & Peking Universities might be up there in the top 20.

I doubt Harvard and Oxford are too concerned.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking

• Like 2

In two decades maybe Tokyo, Hong Kong & Peking Universities might be up there in the top 20.

I doubt Harvard and Oxford are too concerned.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking

I can find one Thai uni in that list : King Mongkut's University of Technology, Thonburi.
  • Like 1

Am I missing something?

Does it mention academic achievement?

Would be difficult to measure. Thai students meander from Kindergarten to Prathom, through Mathyom and automatically into University.

Yes and depending on your family name or their being to pay academic ability isn't necessary.
I'd be interested to know what proportion of University students don't pass and fail to join the lemmings parade and get a certificate
  • Like 1

Maybe you can find us a different list where the Thai unis are ranked significantly higher.

No the ranking methodologies are not completely subject. Different and subject to some variation in results.

These are uni rankings, not dept rankings. Some depts in some unis better than comparative depts in higher ranking unis but that is another subject.

Sorry can´t find Thai unis ranked higher.

Find here no. 201 Chulalongkorn University

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

Find here

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking/range/351-400

King Mongkut's University of Technology, Thonburi

Maybe the best uni in Thailand.

But do not take this ranks to seriously, as all rankings.

Especially with this "wobbling" n - dimensional material

Edited by tomacht8

Sorry can´t find Thai unis ranked higher.

Find here no. 201 Chulalongkorn University

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

Find here

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking/range/351-400

King Mongkut's University of Technology, Thonburi

Maybe the best uni in Thailand.

But do not take this ranks to seriously, as all rankings.

Especially with this "wobbling" n - dimensional material

Additionally, the Times Higher Ed list uses infrastructure - i.e. campus buildings and facilities - as one of its assessment criteria. Thai universities love to build shiny Potemkin campuses (usually because pockets are thereby filled), while treating their human capital like indentured-serfs.

Edited by Rumpole
  • Like 1

Yes, but not Thai universities. Maybe Chinese ones and certainly Singaporean/Hong Kong ones and perhaps even Indian ones could too.