3 Thai universities make Asian top 100, but rankings drop

webfact

This is one list of a hundred.

Completely subjective regarding the methodology and the weighting factors.

No differentiation in terms of subjects.

This List is in parts more than questionable.

Chiang Mai University no 98th

Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen no 150th.

ups, did not know that the Chinag Mai University have such excellent research facilitys and laboratories.

Think this is more a PR list by name recognition as to quality of research and teaching.

No it doesn't - their laboratories are old and dirty, the research faculty's quality is debatable. According to an expat researcher at Chiang Mai Univ. most Thai staff and researchers there are only there due to "prestige" but don't like what they're doing. They would never work more than is expected of them.

Asian universities have gained significant ground on their Western counterparts and could overtake them within two decades, it added.

Look out Harvard and Cambridge.

Not likely. The top US universities have endowment funds that are greater than the bank reserves of some countries. An excerpt from the Feb. 2013 report; In assets; Harvard- $30.4 billion Yale- $19.3 billion University of Texas System - $18.2 billion, Stanford University- $17 billion, UCLA-$5.9 billion. Many North American universities, while suffering from a reduction in government funding, have alumni that give back millions of dollars every year. Others have research facilities that generate large incomes for the universities.

Outside of Singapore, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong, the concept of giving back to a university in a grand manner is not a popular activity. The multi millionaires who have graduated from Thai universities donate a pittance in comparison to the aforementioned Asian countries' alumni.

This was probably my greatest cultural shock. I grew up with a predominance of ethnic Chinese Asians, and the emphasis placed upon education was very different than what I saw in Thailand.

ups, did not know that the Chinag Mai University have such excellent research facilitys and laboratories.

Think this is more a PR list by name recognition as to quality of research and teaching.

No it doesn't - their laboratories are old and dirty, the research faculty's quality is debatable. According to an expat researcher at Chiang Mai Univ. most Thai staff and researchers there are only there due to "prestige" but don't like what they're doing. They would never work more than is expected of them.

Ouch. I wish I could argue, but I cannot. However, I want to put in a kind word for Mahidol. It is the go to institution when foreign researchers need an academic partner in Thailand and either cannot or are precluded from using the military facilities. I still hold to my view that Mahidol is a good university, at least for the life sciences.

Ouch. I wish I could argue, but I cannot. However, I want to put in a kind word for Mahidol. It is the go to institution when foreign researchers need an academic partner in Thailand and either cannot or are precluded from using the military facilities. I still hold to my view that Mahidol is a good university, at least for the life sciences.

And music