Hedges to keep animals in

People.

A search of the forum revealed this (archived) thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/407843-hedges-what-plants-are-available-and-recommended/

I'm looking for a suitable local hedging plant to keep our geese and other ground based creatures where we want them. The geese are currently behind a 1m plastic mesh fence, which frankly looks awful.

Enter my idea to replace said fence with something more aesthetic. Needs to be green, maybe flowering, preferably without nasty spikes and needs to grow down to the ground (geese don't go over obstacles but they're quite good at going under). I'll trim it to about 1m.

And, importantly, it must not be toxic to anything that fancies a nibble.

Thoughts anyone, local names appreciated.

Oh, and it needs to be cheap low cost, we have quite a lot of fence to replace.

My first thought on this would be Hibiscus, (Shaba , they call it here) ...

Several types and colours..... If you can find a source of plants, that need a pruning, they are really easy to make cuttings of .....(so free!)

Use minimum pencil size stems about 18" to 24" long and stick into the ground...tear off most of the foliage and they should root within a month or so. Place cuttings about 18" apart directly in the ground .... (weed free would be best!)

Best done in rainy season... or you'll need to sprinkle and keep watered until rooted ! With some TLC and fertilizer, you should have decent sized plants fairly quickly.... Might be better to let them grow a little taller than a meter.... (That could depend on where you are in Thailand, some different types can be grown in the north, than say here in the south! ) wink.png

we actually have hedges both sides of the wall around the garden - means you see the hedge, not the wall.

Are you sure you don't need the fence to keep things out as well as keeping the geese in. (snakes and small dogs wouldn't really be stopped by a hedge,)

i.e. It might be better to leave the fence, and either plant hedges both sides - or even growing up through it, using the existing fence for support.

As for cost - the whole mooban has the same hedges on the outside of the walls, so when they trim the hedges there's plenty of cuttings. (Admittedly, I've no idea if they're toxic for geese).

Thanks guys, one of the locals suggested hibiscus too, so we'll be looking at getting some plants, Wifey is an instant-gratification lady (despite growing palms from seed) so cuttings are a non-starter at least for the first bit.

We have our own moat on 3 sides, so I'm only interested in keeping the geese in their bit of the garden. Snakes etc. are not too much of an issue since the boys caught and removed (no they didn't eat it) a 2m python that ate one of our guinea fowl.

We're just north of Bangkok, so despite Climate Change the Arctic conditions of Chiang Mai are not currently a problem smile.png

Bamboo worked well for me in different locations. Thick at ground level and you can choose the variety that grows to the height you want. Black stemmed is usually 1 to 2 metres.

I had a great bamboo hedge -- in Scotland !!! w00t.gif

By the way -- don't overlook the great art of layering a hedge - it provides a cattle-proof remedy after a couple of years :)

Edited by jpinx

None of the above suggestions seem to be based on practical experience. Chickens go through all of them, no problem. bougainvillea will stop a buffalo, needs pruning 2-3 times a year however.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

We've solved a similar problem by building a 'gapped' bamboo fence around our land using half width bamboo with a cemented breeze block base to stop burrowing in and out. Looks natural, allows the light in and doesn't collapse like plastic mesh fencing (which we had before). The total area we fenced is about 14 rai , then again we do grow the stuff here hence the monika!

None of the above suggestions seem to be based on practical experience. Chickens go through all of them, no problem. bougainvillea will stop a buffalo, needs pruning 2-3 times a year however.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Excuse me, blink.pngsad.pngcoffee1.gif .... I do happen to have a little practical experience on this subject....(Gardening in general.... look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/354759-gardening-on-the-islands/)

I have Hibiscus hedges around much of my garden, planted the way I suggested.... can reach four or five feet in less than a year....it needs to be tipped out to encourage side shots. It is easy to prune or shear.... where as your suggestion, Mr Cooked of bougainvillaea is a nightmare to keep up, prune or shear with its thorns...... harder too to clean up the thorny clippings....too....

To the OP. Personally I would also stay away from Bamboo as can cause itching on some people who touch it or have to shear it. ..... Not to mention the mosquitoes that hide under the fallen foliage during the day. (No Flowers either)

There are other plants that would serve the purpose, but some much slower to develop, Allamanda with the yellow trumpet flowers would be one.

Garden%25252520May%2525252009_02.JPG

Ixora would be another, but very slow to get going and established ...from my experience...wink.png

Ixora has several colours of flowers,

DSC02902.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

Sorry, I didn't say it was easy to maintain. I use electric hedge shears when necessary, clear the stuff up using a pitchfork, no problem at all to clear up. You can't buy pitchforks in Thailand? Not my fault... Bougainvillea will keep everything out apart from snakes.

I do have a certain amount of experience (40 years) as a self employed landscape gardener.

Sorry, I didn't say it was easy to maintain. I use electric hedge shears when necessary, clear the stuff up using a pitchfork, no problem at all to clear up. You can't buy pitchforks in Thailand? Not my fault... Bougainvillea will keep everything out apart from snakes.

I do have a certain amount of experience (40 years) as a self employed landscape gardener.

Well I also have over 40 years self employed, experience of Nursery growing, and also landscape and garden maintenance....

One thing I always considered when landscaping was the after maintenance when planting, .... it can be easy or difficult depending on plant material used.... To me Bougainvillea, which has thorns is a pain in the foot when trying to clean it up... (although dragging a large tarp as you go would help as you clip, which ever plant is used)

But thorns goes though the flip flops that many workers here wear... It's just about impossible to get every single piece. We used to call it "Right plant right place"

I see people here use bamboo as a "cheap hedge" trimming it just about every month does not make it cheap in the long run.... (not to mention the other reasons I gave for not using bamboo)

After the last rain, my Bougainvillea grow several feet within days. ... Hibiscus I shear once or twice a year..... easy! .

Well, we've been hedge shopping in Bang Bua Thong, metro work (Purple Line I think) has removed a lot of the plant places but still plenty of choice.

Wifey decided that the Hibiscus were too expensive so we are now the proud owners of 450 'moke' plants http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%81

Seems to be some sort of Jasmine, 5 Baht each, 14 plants a metre (2 staggered rows with plants 15cm apart) for hedges according to the chap at the nursery where we got them.

Wifey's son is coming tomorrow, he thinks to cut the grass smile.png

Well, we've been hedge shopping in Bang Bua Thong, metro work (Purple Line I think) has removed a lot of the plant places but still plenty of choice.

Wifey decided that the Hibiscus were too expensive so we are now the proud owners of 450 'moke' plants http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%81

Seems to be some sort of Jasmine, 5 Baht each, 14 plants a metre (2 staggered rows with plants 15cm apart) for hedges according to the chap at the nursery where we got them.

Wifey's son is coming tomorrow, he thinks to cut the grass smile.png

I see that in use for hedging around here and the local dogs and cats have no trouble getting through. It is quite lightweight. The Ixora, on the other hand, makes an excellent hedge and is dog and cat proof with dense hard growth down to ground level - with nice flowers as well -- I've seen red, orange, pink, dark yellow and light yellow. It grows easily from cuttings too - I have some nice ones in pots. It takes a hard cutting back and just thickens up but continues to flower. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Crossy--I'm a bit late since you've already planted the jasmine. I realize your plants are still just shoots but how's that working out? If you (sometime in the future) want to use an alternative I suggest Bougainvillea -- Foong Faa . Not only are they beautiful but are low-maintenance, inexpensive, little-to-no water needed, mature quickly (if you buy the correct size shoots) and form a near impenetrable "wall". The downside is they grow rapidly and have to be trimmed often (Wifey's son?). And the roots can rip up a concrete pad--I've had it happen!

Good luck...

Thanks Jesus, we did think of Bougainvillea, it's big problem for us is the spikes.

Our hedge doesn't need to be impenetrable the geese are quite easy to keep in. The Jasmine plants seem to be doing OK, we shall see how they get going.

I hope you don't mind if I hi-jack the thread for a moment, but we are weeks away from (hopefully) planting our own hedges. I am looking for something substantial, grows from the ground up and is quite thick, enough to hold a puppy until both mature.

I have looked briefly at Chatuchak during their plants and flowers days during the week and found a few that I could do with a little more information on. First is a "Box" like plant, grows very thick and has small glossy leaves, it might even be box!

Another I quite liked had lovely red leaf and stem new growth which also seemed to fulfill all objectives. Lastly, The hedges at the bird farm at Chachoengsao were about 1 metre tall, very thick, small leaves with small red flowers.

So, can anyone tell me the Thai names and anything more about their suitability for the task in hand or even suggest alternatives.

Many thanks.

KS

Edited by planemad