Samui Seaplanes

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the Thai authorities were investigating Coco, and the only asset the company has is the seaplane, so they seized it. I don't know if that's true, but I know many of their staff have'nt been paid for months, including a Thai builder friend of mine, who's been waiting since February.

Personally, I think the Coco developement is an eyesore and I'm very dissapointed that Coco built it, spoiling a beautiful part of the island....no trees any more, only cement. Go and have a look yourselves, it's horrible.

As for Coco Blues, that's nice, but pricey, so I don't go there. It's also very cliequie (how do you spell that??) and the atmosphere is not so good. But good for live music, although they advertise poorly, as they did with Samui Music Festival.

I hope they kept a clean sheet as they are a nice couple of fellers who run it, and although I don't like what they've done, I still like them.

A load of nonsense and just another malicious rumour to add to the scandalous behaviour of the Thai Media.

I didn't see where steverino actually said he heard the rumor in the Thai media. I guess I must have missed something there.

A load of nonsense and just another malicious rumour to add to the scandalous behaviour of the Thai Media.

I didn't see where steverino actually said he heard the rumor in the Thai media. I guess I must have missed something there.

I actually made that statement and after asking Coco seaplanes I have found out that it was in fact on the Thai TV, but it was a totally fictitious report and that Coco are now suing the TV channel. While the plane itself has not been operational for the last month it has not been seized, it is just that they are still working through all of the paperwork and would rather not operate while things are not yet complete.

My husband was one of the passenger on their first flight to Myanmar. It took them only a couple of hours to do their visarun and head back to Koh Samui. This was a couple of months ago and the price then was 5000 baht as it was their first flight (excl. airporttax airport Samui). I thought they eventually want to ask around 9000 baht.

Interesting to read.

Did they take off/land on sea (Samui/Myanmar) or normal airport?

5K doesn't sound too bad for a visa-run :D have breakfast and dinner at home and 'visit' another country inbetween... :D

LaoPo

no landing on the sea just airport to airport

So....why a seaplane....? :o would be fun to experience a seaplane!

LaoPo

Yes Laopo, it's great fun.

Took one from Vancouver to Victoria a few years ago. Great experience. When they do actually land in the sea, it's a very weird sensation because they seem to land at a much steeper incline than a normal plane on land - sort of just plop down!

Even without the sea landing, it's still a fine experience, as because they fly so low, you get a wonderful view of the secenery below.

I actually made that statement and after asking Coco seaplanes I have found out that it was in fact on the Thai TV, but it was a totally fictitious report and that Coco are now suing the TV channel. While the plane itself has not been operational for the last month it has not been seized, it is just that they are still working through all of the paperwork and would rather not operate while things are not yet complete.

I have also heard that the TV station have been reported to the Police based on this report and now face criminal charges as well. About time someone hit back.

• 6 months later...

Of course this is secondhand knowledge but was told that CoCo's is very much out of money. They tried to get financing from a Hong Kong investor but when they looked at CoCo's books they pulled out. I am a pilot and know that to maintain an aircraft, even if it is just sitting on the ground it is expensive and I'm sure they are still paying insurance premiums as well even though it is not flying. I also heard the big sticking point (if it isn't the money) is the licensing agreements with the government but what is weird is that last year they were already advertising the visa runs, cargo runs, etc. for the plane. I guess they got ahead of themselves. I would think they would have unloaded the plane if they felt something good wasn't going to come out of this eventually.

Like I said, secondhand information so do with it what you want.

What is the latest status on CoCo Seaplanes - the license-problems are more complicated or???

Pete

The aircraft has been kept in an Airworthy condition and has a current Certificate of Airworthiness.

Obtaining the various approvals from the Thai authorities have taken a lot longer than envisaged but the Civil Aviation Authority have recently carried out a complete inspection and it is hoped that the final approval will be issued shortly.

Once the certificate is issued, the operation will start with scenic flights and regular charters to Surat, Krabi, Ranong etc. On commencement of the Operation, approval to operate on water will be applied for. Most of the requirements have been met and are already in place.

The addition of a water borne operation will also enable medical evacuation to be mounted from Koh Tao, and Koh Phangan. The aircraft can be converted to carry a stretcher in a few minutes and leave room for a medical team and all medical equipment to be carried.

Agreements have also been made to assist the Thai Navy and Government Authorities when emergencies such as Search and Rescue arise.

When conditions permit it is hoped to continue to provide a community service such as air experience flights to the local schools. These were very popular during the period that operational trials were carried out.

Gatorade.

What is the latest status on CoCo Seaplanes - the license-problems are more complicated or???

Pete

The aircraft has been kept in an Airworthy condition and has a current Certificate of Airworthiness.

Obtaining the various approvals from the Thai authorities have taken a lot longer than envisaged but the Civil Aviation Authority have recently carried out a complete inspection and it is hoped that the final approval will be issued shortly.

Once the certificate is issued, the operation will start with scenic flights and regular charters to Surat, Krabi, Ranong etc. On commencement of the Operation, approval to operate on water will be applied for. Most of the requirements have been met and are already in place.

The addition of a water borne operation will also enable medical evacuation to be mounted from Koh Tao, and Koh Phangan. The aircraft can be converted to carry a stretcher in a few minutes and leave room for a medical team and all medical equipment to be carried.

Agreements have also been made to assist the Thai Navy and Government Authorities when emergencies such as Search and Rescue arise.

When conditions permit it is hoped to continue to provide a community service such as air experience flights to the local schools. These were very popular during the period that operational trials were carried out.

Gatorade.

To avoid any future license or saftey issues it maybe a good idea to explain to the pilot that if the plane does ever get airborne again that flying the length of Chaweng Beach at little over 500 feet is not the smartest thing to do!

To avoid any future license or saftey issues it maybe a good idea to explain to the pilot that if the plane does ever get airborne again that flying the length of Chaweng Beach at little over 500 feet is not the smartest thing to do!

You are obviously the expert so why don't you explain! 500 ft is not only legal it was part of the clearance NOT to operate above 500ft in the vicinity of the airport. It is operated at a height parallel to the beach which allows a safe landing to take place in the unlikely event of a malfunction.

You might also have noticed those big things underneath the aircraft which are floats

and allow the aircraft to land on water.

You are obviously the expert so why don't you explain! 500 ft is not only legal it was part of the clearance NOT to operate above 500ft in the vicinity of the airport. It is operated at a height parallel to the beach which allows a safe landing to take place in the unlikely event of a malfunction.

You might also have noticed those big things underneath the aircraft which are floats

No I am not an expert which you obviously think you are I am just someone with a little common sense. I cannot imagine any other country in the world who would consider it a good idea to fly an aircraft the length of the busiest beach at 500 ft. You may have noticed that if that plane with those big things underneath hit the beach or the sea many people would lose their lives.

Also do you really believe people fly here from half way round the world to see the alan sadd seaplane sceaming over their heads for commercial gain i do not think so.

No I am not an expert which you obviously think you are I am just someone with a little common sense. I cannot imagine any other country in the world who would consider it a good idea to fly an aircraft the length of the busiest beach at 500 ft. You may have noticed that if that plane with those big things underneath hit the beach or the sea many people would lose their lives.

Also do you really believe people fly here from half way round the world to see the alan sadd seaplane sceaming over their heads for commercial gain i do not think so.

it is a fact that coco has many debts that are going unpaid, the last pilot has moved on to the maldives(sp) with back pay from coco still being owed. He tells me that they told him that the plane will be sold to the bank and leased back to coco but he does not have much hope of seeing his money. Coco has not lived up to the terms of contracts with many people that i know and have created incredable hardship for many good people and in MHO should either go bk or pay up either way i will never give them any of my money.

it is a fact that coco has many debts that are going unpaid, the last pilot has moved on to the maldives(sp) with back pay from coco still being owed. He tells me that they told him that the plane will be sold to the bank and leased back to coco but he does not have much hope of seeing his money. Coco has not lived up to the terms of contracts with many people that i know and have created incredable hardship for many good people and in MHO should either go bk or pay up either way i will never give them any of my money.

Nor I, the real crooks, that take and give none back to the Island, Cocos have been a big part of raping and murdering the Island!!!! :o

Edited by SamuiJens

Jens - I am with you on this.

It may appear I am contradicting some of my previous points regarding development (and how I don’t really worry too much about all that), however CoCo's really do epitomize the greedy all consuming developer- seems they have a philosophy of build, brand and bully.... with a f-uck the island attitude.

Harmless small developers building a few houses.... well, different arguments. Global conglomerates with 'no face', well they don’t know any better. Something about CoCos though bugs the hel_l outa me. Its an irrational point of view possibly, but they strike me as an outfit that are just winging it, blagging it, getting away with it (or not?) all at a cost to the island - whilst they are smugly presenting themselves as 'nice, caring ex-pats'.

Again, the established faceless developers who are building don’t know any better. So, as far as I am concerned... whatever. That’s life.

But CoCo's - they just seem to want there cake and eat it.

Whoever is responsible for CoCo branding, within the island at least, has no clue. Most people I know that live on Samui are sick to death of hearing about CoCo's and sick to death of seeing that bloody logo everywhere. What exactly is the CoCo theme/mission statement? They seem to chance it with so many different areas of business, all the while presenting themselves as experts, when they are not.

The arrogance in which they throw the CoCo logo around at any given opportunity, coupled with the confidence that they believe the CoCo brand is enough to initiate immediate business is kinda sad. One example of this is setting up a crap Chinese restraunt with a fixed menu aimed at raping you for every last penny, with a bloody huge, cocky CoCo branded sign above the joint – opposite a CoCo Car park with an equally as big sign threatening to wheel clamp you should you dare park there (unless you have a drink in there bar, is the disclaimer). Arrogant f_ckers. Again, refer to my comments on branding. No clue.

How arrogant can you be to proudly display a 20 x 20 foot sign of CoCo Group Of Companies with the sole theme of this sign to advise you that you will be clamped and fined for parking on a seemingly humble spot of wasteland? It’s almost like they believe the brand will appease them for any ill feeling! Kinda like “all will be forgiven, it is us – CoCo after all”

And no, I have never been clamped.

Alan Sadd apparently made his money initially in China, didn’t he? Running factories producing clothes, exporting back to the west. We all know what these factories are like.

In many ways I hope the rumors are true and they are going under. I also know people, good people, who have lost out because of there slimy bullshite and excuses. I have met Sadd many times, and his soppy side kick Bruce who would offer you a wet handshake and greasy smile as quick as judge you.

The way they carry on with there 'Thai friends' at CoCo blues also..... Makes me want to puke. Knowing a e coppers and ‘Hi-So’s’ does not me you the be all and end all.

Oops. Ranting... Had a few beers, lol.

Er…. Talking about planes, weren’t we?

:o

Anyone who's spent more than a year or two on Samui will know all about this lot. I've never heard a good word said about anything they've ever done. They were here at a time when they had easy pickings, and they made the mistake of presuming they could still get away with it today. Unfortunately for them, their seaplane only served to shine the spotlight on their other underhand activities on the island. Now they're screwed. Good riddance.

The arrogance in which they throw the CoCo logo around at any given opportunity, coupled with the confidence that they believe the CoCo brand is enough to initiate immediate business is kinda sad. One example of this is setting up a crap Chinese restraunt with a fixed menu aimed at raping you for every last penny, with a bloody huge, cocky CoCo branded sign above the joint – opposite a CoCo Car park with an equally as big sign threatening to wheel clamp you should you dare park there (unless you have a drink in there bar, is the disclaimer). Arrogant f_ckers. Again, refer to my comments on branding. No clue.

How arrogant can you be to proudly display a 20 x 20 foot sign of CoCo Group Of Companies with the sole theme of this sign to advise you that you will be clamped and fined for parking on a seemingly humble spot of wasteland? It’s almost like they believe the brand will appease them for any ill feeling! Kinda like “all will be forgiven, it is us – CoCo after all”

Alan Sadd apparently made his money initially in China, didn’t he? Running factories producing clothes, exporting back to the west. We all know what these factories are like.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am not going to get into an argument at that level but at least get your facts right.

Coco do not own or control the car park opposite the Chinahouse - it belongs to a Thai family who I know, the sign on the car park is not theirs (it is for Celadon Land).

I know Alan Sadd and he has no history in China nor in producing clothes as you state.

Comment and opinion are acceptable - but please get the facts right.

The DSI can fill you in on the details.

Oh. Nuff said. I didnt think they were involved in all of that?

How arrogant can you be to proudly display a 20 x 20 foot sign of CoCo Group Of Companies with the sole theme of this sign to advise you that you will be clamped and fined for parking on a seemingly humble spot of wasteland? It's almost like they believe the brand will appease them for any ill feeling! Kinda like "all will be forgiven, it is us – CoCo after all"

Alan Sadd apparently made his money initially in China, didn't he? Running factories producing clothes, exporting back to the west. We all know what these factories are like.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am not going to get into an argument at that level but at least get your facts right.

Coco do not own or control the car park opposite the Chinahouse - it belongs to a Thai family who I know, the sign on the car park is not theirs (it is for Celadon Land).

I know Alan Sadd and he has no history in China nor in producing clothes as you state.

The sign at the car park, for a time at least, was a bloody huge CoCo sign. It was 10/20B parking but if you kept the reciept they would knock it off the bill should you drink at CoCo Blues.

Point accepted about Alan Sadd and China.... If this is the case, i retract that statement and aplogise. Are you absoloutley sure he has no history in China though? Im quite certain he does?

Either way, it dosent make any difference if he was in China or not. It has nothing to do with the discussion and I may be wrong, so I will take that back.

Er, how well do you know Alan Sadd?

According to an interview he gave with the Samui Community Infoportal, printed on 19th June 2005, it is stated that he 'moved to Nottingham where he learned the ins and outs of the textile industry' and 'went to Saudi Arabia and set up textile manufacturing'.

Comment and opinion are acceptable - but please get the facts right

How arrogant can you be to proudly display a 20 x 20 foot sign of CoCo Group Of Companies with the sole theme of this sign to advise you that you will be clamped and fined for parking on a seemingly humble spot of wasteland? It's almost like they believe the brand will appease them for any ill feeling! Kinda like "all will be forgiven, it is us – CoCo after all"

Alan Sadd apparently made his money initially in China, didn't he? Running factories producing clothes, exporting back to the west. We all know what these factories are like.

Er, how well do you know Alan Sadd?

According to an interview he gave with the Samui Community Infoportal, printed on 19th June 2005, it is stated that he 'moved to Nottingham where he learned the ins and outs of the textile industry' and 'went to Saudi Arabia and set up textile manufacturing'.

Comment and opinion are acceptable - but please get the facts right

Fair enough - i take it back. Thought it was China. Its a moot point anyway, i guess.

Whilst that is how i feel about CoCo's, it would have been better not to rant about them like that in a public forum, ill admit. I had a had a few beers though....

Ah. Good to hear. I found Coco blues and CoCo land and houses professional. I guess they have the same problems as other businesses with sudden demands for extra paperwork.

This guy is a shill for the company.

Your proof? Mark?