Where to buy a better quality rain jacket for when on the m/c in the rain?

pattayadingo

Now the rain is starting, where can I get a decent quality rain 'jacket' for when I am out on the m/c and it rains.

Those from 7/11 are cheap enough, but tear too easily. I'd like to buy something more substantial but I've yet to see any.

Can someone tell me where they sell them, please?

I got mine from Big-C but you can also go to Outlet Mall on Sukhumvit in that sport store as they used to have good ones. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

You could also do like the Thais and when you are on your bike just hold a small book or a paper envelope above your head with 1 hand on the handle bars. tongue.png

• Like 2

You could also do like the Thais and when you are on your bike just hold a small book or a paper envelope above your head with 1 hand on the handle bars. tongue.png

That's right, and when you're behind a dusty or smoky vehicle, you can use the patented Thai hand filter. You know -- that's when they cover their mouth with their hand (to avoid breathing in any of the dust or smoke, I assume). I've tried it and it doesn't work for me. The dust and/or smoke just goes around my hand and fingers. Thais are so lucky to have hands that work like filters.

• Like 2

For me I like when I see the gf on the back with his jacket pulled over her head yet she is kind enough to go further and pull it over her bf's face as well. I must admit that the ole umbrella trick on a motorcycle is also quite entertaining.

You see dingo, you don't really need a rain suit. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

For me I like when I see the gf on the back with his jacket pulled over her head yet she is kind enough to go further and pull it over her bf's face as well. I must admit that the ole umbrella trick on a motorcycle is also quite entertaining.

But I want to live longer with my brains intact w00t.gif

Edited by pattayadingo

BigC Pattaya Klang have some in at 69 Baht each.

Jacket style with plastic styds down the front or Poncho style with studs down the side under the arms.

Both come with a small pouch to carry them in. Easy to fit under the seat of the m/c.

Pretty good quality too and big enough.

Yes, yes, seen all the antics desribed above in the past hilarious and dangerous at the same time laugh.png

But I want to live longer with my brains intact w00t.gif

hmmmmmm........Houston, we have a problem.

• Like 1

If you can find one with a good zipper they are much better then the ones with buttons for the rain. That is a little more difficult to find.

Seriously, if you are long term here in Thailand and an avid bike rider you are better to order a good one from back home or have your mates mail you one.

I mean to be honest, I carry my 69 baht one and use it but still get wet. When I get home I simply take all my clothes off, get changed and that's that but sure a GOOD rain suit is better.

Bought my Columbia omni tech on ebay. Cost about $100, and retails for about $150. You could just about stand under a waterfall with it. Love riding the bike with a serious raincoat, a helmet with a full face shield, and water shorts. I have seen them at Columbia stores here, but they are more expensive. Worth every penny though. The $10 ponchos are just not the same. And the $2 plastic jobs at 7/11 are for use when you have absolutely nothing else.

Bought my Columbia omni tech on ebay. Cost about $100, and retails for about $150. You could just about stand under a waterfall with it. Love riding the bike with a serious raincoat, a helmet with a full face shield, and water shorts. I have seen them at Columbia stores here, but they are more expensive. Worth every penny though. The $10 ponchos are just not the same. And the $2 plastic jobs at 7/11 are for use when you have absolutely nothing else.

those are made out of plastic half the thickness as where i pack my sandiwch in , 30x40 garbage bag and a roll of ducttape will make a cheaper and better protection against water

I got mine from Big-C but you can also go to Outlet Mall on Sukhumvit in that sport store as they used to have good ones. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

Pay? What pay for?

Simply find the nearest dry cleaner (kind of difficult out in the boonies no doubt) and ask for a dress bag. These are quite long and free. Speaking from experience, works great and easy to find a new one whenever you need one. Oh, for the unimaginative, you cut a slit at the top for you head and two slits on the sides for your arms.

I saw some amazing scooter ponchos in Hanoi last year and regret not buying a few while I was there. I saw some different variations such as:

One style that fitted two people with one set of arms for the driver and an extra hood for the passenger. Poncho went right around the whole seat area.

One that went right over the front of the bike with clear plastic for the headlight - seemed to be custom made and domed onto the front faring.

One that seemed oversized with a clear panel in the front for a kid to sit totally inside the poncho but with vision.

Several varieties that seemed to be fixed to the bike in some way that made them much more waterproof than the ones we see here.

All of them seemed to be really well made and of much better/heavier quality material than the 7/11 specials.

Hanoi+rain.jpg

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

But then you can't talk on your mobile! tongue.png

I once saw an old granny riding her scooter with her arm around a young baby and holding in her hand an umbrella. I wanted to give her a big slap.

I saw some amazing scooter ponchos in Hanoi last year and regret not buying a few while I was there. I saw some different variations such as:

One style that fitted two people with one set of arms for the driver and an extra hood for the passenger. Poncho went right around the whole seat area.

One that went right over the front of the bike with clear plastic for the headlight - seemed to be custom made and domed onto the front faring.

One that seemed oversized with a clear panel in the front for a kid to sit totally inside the poncho but with vision.

Several varieties that seemed to be fixed to the bike in some way that made them much more waterproof than the ones we see here.

All of them seemed to be really well made and of much better/heavier quality material than the 7/11 specials.

I have one of the Vietnamese ones- the type that doesn't go over the bike, and it's excellent. It's really quite heavy and doesn't blow about. Even in pouring rain I stay completely dry. Bit of a faff about to get on and off, but worth the hassle. I was trying to get the full bike one with the head light plastic, but left it too late and couldn't find one before flying out.

If anyone is planning a trip to Vietnam I would definitely recommend hunting one down,

• Like 1

I have one of the Vietnamese ones- the type that doesn't go over the bike, and it's excellent. It's really quite heavy and doesn't blow about. Even in pouring rain I stay completely dry. Bit of a faff about to get on and off, but worth the hassle. I was trying to get the full bike one with the head light plastic, but left it too late and couldn't find one before flying out.

If anyone is planning a trip to Vietnam I would definitely recommend hunting one down,

I agree, they looked really great and well made. The only thing I noticed in Vietnam was that 99% of bikes don't have mirrors so not sure how they would fit.

I asked the concierge at my Hanoi hotel why most bikes didn't have mirrors - his answer was "in Vietnam, always have something behind you, why you want to look at it?". Good answer I thought. Also, the parking guys on every street corner can ram twice as many scooters into their allotted space without mirrors. smile.png

• Like 1

3 years ago my wife and I were in Central at Kad Suan Kaew Mall. They had "workout suits" in metallic silver outside, black inside, both pants and tops, with elastic at wrists and ankles. Tops come in pull over or zip up. Something like 200 baht. We bought 3 sets and they beat the daylights out of anything else I've see or tried

+1....You need to spend more then 20 baht to get a good one.

Got a real nice poncho that snaps on the side and the hood fits tight enough to keep out the rain even without a helmet at Tesco-Lotus. I had to dig around in the bin and check out a few but got a good one. Went back later and they didn't have them anymore. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app