How common are GMO crops in Thailand?

I looked into this recently and couldn't find much about it online, but I did run across one site that claimed Thailand does not allow GMO crops to be used in commercial farming -- only research farms. Unfortunately,I don't know how old or reliable the info was. I ran across another site that said the Holland papaya that has become so popular is a GMO product. Anyway, I'm not making any of these claims -- just echoing what I've run across.

I believe there was a similar thread about this not long ago, and it likely got into discussing the area of GMO safety and whether the Monsanto is evil or good. I tend to think that Monsanto is not good for the world of food production, primarily because their genetic modifications include a terminator gene (or something like that) that makes the crop seeds infertile, so you have to buy new seeds from Monsanto every year.

Soybeans and maize are unrestricted GMO stuff, other plants still in trials overseen by the government. GMO must be labeled when it contains 5% or more 'of DNA or protein of GM soybean or corn'. That's a smart regulation because raw maize contains just over 3% protein (9% when cooked) , and green soybeans 13%. In effect, the 5% treshold is hit seldom, and most foods don't have to be labeled.

• Like 1