The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the moment the onfield umpires can only decide for themselves to refer to the third umpire if they want to check:-

• was a catch was clean, i.e. on the full;
  • line decisions; a front foot no ball, stumping, run out;
  • boundary decisions; was it a four or a six, did the fielder cross or touch the boundary while still touching the ball etc.

They cannot refer lbws and caught behinds, except to see if the ball was caught on the full, unless asked to do so by one or other of the teams.

I think that the onfield umpire should be able to refer all decisions if they are not sure.

Yep, I've said it before, take the reviews away from the players.

Leave it up to the umpires. BTW, if there were no reviews, Trott

would not have been given out.

I still think only use it to correct the howlers. The spontainity has gone

from the game already.

I don't think anyone get's too upset over 50/50 decisions as they even out.

So I think just leave it up to the umps, and let the 3rd umpire look at any howlers.

Also, I wish we could go back to the days where before a series started, both captains

could get together and say they "will accept the players word on catches".

• Like 2

How about we place a call to ole' Boof and get him to replace the top order with Wills, Bokkie and Davo (Will27, BookMan and David48) ... we couldn't be worse!

Bokkie's tall and lean ... make a fine swing bowler for sure ... I'm a solid all rounder (emphasis on the 'solid' bit) ... Wills, you famous for anything?

I reckon I could clear cow corner a few times over the rope ... biggrin.png

attachicon.gifBookMan waiting.jpg

Oh ... I managed to do a quick artists impression once of Bokkie, just relaxing before being called to the crease ...

Well Davo

I used to be a handy offspin bowler, but the last time I had a bowl it had Tom Yum noodles in itlaugh.png

• Like 2

If they want someone to occupy the crease they had old man Cowan for that.

Rogers hasn't done much better, IMHO.

The DRS issue is always a contentious one, but this series has highlighted the umpires lack of confidence in their own decision making - the very reason they're doing what they're employed to do. This checking for 'no balls' is irritating. Its use needs to be tweaked, otherwise we might as well do away with the on field umpire and just utilize technology.

I've often found frustration with India's continual objection to the DRS, but after this series, there may well be method to their madness.

Steve Smith, he annoys me but always seem to find a way to come good. A quality that I found with Justin Langer in his early years.

Is Australia turning into the West Indies of this century? Granted the interest in the game itself is still strong in Australia but we're in a real possibility of having a massive fall from grace.

Boof has the <deleted> to take on the primadonnas of the team. He needs some old school back up from the likes of Merv and Booney. AB and Steve Waugh should also heavily weigh in as well.

Remind these kids of what that baggy green cap means!

It's a frustrating time for Australian cricket, the BCCI and the IPL possibly have a lot to answer for.

If they want someone to occupy the crease they had old man Cowan for that.

Rogers hasn't done much better, IMHO.

The DRS issue is always a contentious one, but this series has highlighted the umpires lack of confidence in their own decision making - the very reason they're doing what they're employed to do. This checking for 'no balls' is irritating. Its use needs to be tweaked, otherwise we might as well do away with the on field umpire and just utilize technology.

I've often found frustration with India's continual objection to the DRS, but after this series, there may well be method to their madness.

Steve Smith, he annoys me but always seem to find a way to come good. A quality that I found with Justin Langer in his early years.

Is Australia turning into the West Indies of this century? Granted the interest in the game itself is still strong in Australia but we're in a real possibility of having a massive fall from grace.

Boof has the <deleted> to take on the primadonnas of the team. He needs some old school back up from the likes of Merv and Booney. AB and Steve Waugh should also heavily weigh in as well.

Remind these kids of what that baggy green cap means!

It's a frustrating time for Australian cricket, the BCCI and the IPL possibly have a lot to answer for.

Cowan, had his go, admittedly at number 3 and failed dismally.

Like I said, our opening partnerships have been reasonable, it's just that

no one is going on with it.

The trouble with DRS, is that the umps are too scared to make a mistake now.

I remember when they bought in the camera and used it for run outs and stumpings.

Now a player can be out by 2 feet and they call for it.

Same as AFL goal umpires. The are asking for reviews for blatant decisions because they

don't want a cock up.

I think the IPL and twenty/20 has been terrible for test cricket.

Too much money and mickey mouse cricket IMO.

I think that the onfield umpire should be able to refer all decisions if they are not sure.

Absolutely

Oh dear, I trust Bird, Shephard, Venkat and Dar 100%. biggrin.png

How I wish we had Dicky Bird and Shep out there now.

• Like 1

If they want someone to ...

Major Tom ... I forgot about you.

You any good at Cricket?

Hit the ball over the fence playing in the backyard?

We are compiling the alternative Cricket Team. See post

So far we have Wills, Bokkie and Davo.

If you're in then we'd have a Major Tom (this is Ground Control and all that)

In the good old days the umpire's word was law, and players from both sides accepted it (most of the time, eh Mr. Gatting?)

But TV, especially TV replays on the big screen at grounds, has changed all that.

Former players of the likes of Gower, Atherton, Botham Holding, Boycott, Agnew (the commentators on SKY and TMS I hear in the UK) all seem to agree that as the technology is there it should be used.

It's not using it properly that is the problem.

Absolutely

Nah, because what will end up happening is they will get pressurised to refer *every* decision.

In which case they might as well not be there.

• Like 1

If they want someone to ...

You any good at Cricket?

Major Tom to Ground Control...

I'm was a handy all rounder back in my day... A bit like Clarkey but fully left handed, none of this hybrid nonsense :P

I'll also take 1st slip...

Is this the time that ozzies actualy keep a low profile and stop shouting insults at pomms lol lol.Heaven is a bar that is empty of ozzies

No low profile required... We'll still keep up the banter and give as good as we get...

Well the most of us will...

Is this the time that ozzies actualy keep a low profile and stop shouting insults at pomms lol lol.Heaven is a bar that is empty of ozzies

No low profile required... We'll still keep up the banter and give as good as we get...

Well the most of us will...

For myself, I don't frequent the low end bars anyway.

• Like 2

The only swing I get is when the wind picks up or the caelidh gets a bit raucous. biggrin.png

Put me down for half time entertainment with eek and Patsy. ..and maybe SC if he's in town. tongue.png

OH smokie36 ... I thought that you might have captained the opposition.

kevin_pietersenn_england_cricket_0834.jp

You're a Peitersen fan?

• Like 1

You any good at Cricket?

Major Tom to Ground Control...

I'm was a handy all rounder back in my day... A bit like Clarkey but fully left handed, none of this hybrid nonsense tongue.png

I'll also take 1st slip...

nottinghamshire-harold-larwood-23-bob-ho

Major Tom?

News ... Pattinson ruled out of Ashes series ...

dh_pattinson-20130723061601208670-620x34

Australia's beleaguered Ashes campaign has suffered another crushing blow, with young spearhead James Pattinson ruled out of the series with a serious back injury.

Pattinson was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his lower back in the aftermath of Australia's 347-run defeat at Lord's, and faces several months on the sidelines.

The 23-year-old was well below his best in the second Test, taking 2-137 for the match, and complained of soreness in his hip and back on the final day of the match.

SMH

News ... Pattinson ruled out of Ashes series ...

dh_pattinson-20130723061601208670-620x34

Australia's beleaguered Ashes campaign has suffered another crushing blow, with young spearhead James Pattinson ruled out of the series with a serious back injury.

Pattinson was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his lower back in the aftermath of Australia's 347-run defeat at Lord's, and faces several months on the sidelines.

The 23-year-old was well below his best in the second Test, taking 2-137 for the match, and complained of soreness in his hip and back on the final day of the match.

Bad news for him and AUstralia

DRS is supposed to correct howlers by the onfield umpire; who only sees it once in real time. Unfortunately in this series so far the third umpire has sometimes got it wrong as well.

Agar in the second innings as an example. What was that all about?

The umpire heard a snick and you only have to look at Agar's reaction to tell you he knew he'd hit it.

The rest is irrelevant.

Eh? His reaction indicated he didn't hit it. No hotspot on the bat either

If the Umpire's word was good enough for the TMO, then it's good enough for me, and the scorerers. Who's going to be the man behind the screen for the next test?

Indeed, he followed the ball and when he saw it had been caught his head went back in despair.

The reaction of a man who knew he had hit it.

laugh.png

Have you ACTUALLY watched the clip and listened to the commontators?

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

The umpire heard a snick and you only have to look at Agar's reaction to tell you he knew he'd hit it.

The rest is irrelevant.

If the Umpire's word was good enough for the TMO, then it's good enough for me, and the scorerers. Who's going to be the man behind the screen for the next test?

Which umpires word are you talking about?

The one who gave him not out or the one who gave him out?

Oh yes, the 3rd umpire. The one who gave Bell not out as well.

I get it.

The rest is irrelevant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10189514/Ashes-2013-ICC-trial-new-independent-Hawkeye-and-Hotspot-to-end-reliance-on-Sky-replays.html

Ashes 2013: ICC trial new independent Hawkeye and Hotspot to end reliance on Sky replays The ICC will trial an independent supply of Hotspot and Hawkeye for the third Test at Old Trafford in a move which could end with officials no longer relying on broadcasters for information. Edited by mad mary