The Ashes Tour 2013

Its clearly a batting pitch then. wink.png

Come on smokes, be fair, the pitch was a minefieldbiggrin.png

I'm hoping Clarke can continue on and score himself another double century

At the moment ... I just be happy if I scored.

The once lush pitch hasn't seen water for many an over now ... rolleyes.gif

Rain is not forecast for many yet either ... facepalm.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Smith just got his third life

Though the middle one was difficult to say for sure, the first and third were definitely out.

Wrong decisions do go both ways.

I went to sleep and haven't seen these.

Wrong DRS decisions were they?

First was an 'umpire's call' on an lbw when hawkeye showed most of the ball would have hit the stump.

Second was a caught behind. Definite sound, possible deviation, but no hotspot. Onfield umpire said not out so, as with Khawaja, as he couldn't be sure the third umpire went with the onfield one.

Third was a plumb lbw, would have gone on to hit middle, given not out by the onfield umpire; but by then England had used up their reviews.

England a bit upset at the time, but then settled down and got on with it; as the Australians have done when decisions go against them.

Interesting point made about hotspot on TMS yesterday.

It relies on the friction as the ball passes or hits the bat raising the temperature on that part of the bat above that of the rest of the bat; this is what shows on hotspot.

But if the day is very hot, as yesterday was, then the bat is already hot from the sun and so there will be very little, if any, temperature difference and so nothing will show on hotspot.

Edited by 7by7

Smith just got his third life

Though the middle one was difficult to say for sure, the first and third were definitely out.

Wrong decisions do go both ways.

I went to sleep and haven't seen these.

Wrong DRS decisions were they?

First was an 'umpire's call' on an lbw when hawkeye showed most of the ball would have hit the stump.

Second was a caught behind. Definite sound, possible deviation, but no hotspot. Onfield umpire said not out so, as with Khawaja, as he couldn't be sure the third umpire went with the onfield one.

Third was a plumb lbw, would have gone on to hit middle, given not out by the onfield umpire; but by then England had used up their reviews.

England a bit upset at the time, but then settled down and got on with it; as the Australians have done when decisions go against them.

Interesting point made about hotspot on TMS yesterday.

It relies on the friction as the ball passes or hits the bat raising the temperature on that part of the bat above that of the rest of the bat; this is what shows on hotspot.

But if the day is very hot, as yesterday was, then the bat is already hot from the sun and so there will be very little, if any, temperature difference and so nothing will show on hotspot.

When you think about it, the players behavior, given the appalling umpiring has been commendable.

I don't think there has been much, if any bad behavior as yet.

Tony Hill and Kumar Dharmasena don't seem to be up to International standard methinks.

Bring back Dickie Bird I saybiggrin.png

• Like 1

When you think about it, the players behavior, given the appalling umpiring has been commendable.

I don't think there has been much, if any bad behavior as yet.

Tony Hill and Kumar Dharmasena don't seem to be up to International standard methinks.

Bring back Dickie Bird I saybiggrin.png

8 out of the 12 elite umpires are Australian or English, ruling them out of standing in this series.

In this era of professional umpires it shouldn't matter which country they are from. Back when the country hosting supplied the umpires, the English umpires were always impartial and most of the Australian ones were also.

Pick the best umpires available regardless of citizenship.

• Like 1

What a dopey shot from Smith to get out...and just 11 from his hundred.

Listen to the crowd reaction of Warner coming out laugh.png

And I do hope the let Joe Root lose on him...

Boycott has..4 references to boxing straight off..tongue.png

Warney : "I fancy a Root right now. A bit of Joe Root"

And he's gone! What on earth was that review about?

It looked like Clarke was telling him not to review...shaking his head...we will be hearing more on this one.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese Australia..NO batting collapse

I like this tweet from TMS:

If the Australians get another tight call and can't use a decision, I don't think England will be the only country booing Warner.

Is it my imagination or is it a bit quiet on here tonightbiggrin.png

Poms only ever open their mouth to gloat.

Yes we do .Expect a lot of gloating in 3 day.biggrin.png

You are claiming to be English yet have no command of the language? Are you an immigrant?

Day 2, Poms already playing for a draw!

Playing for the close; start in earnest tomorrow.

Mistake, though, to send Bresnan in as nightwatchman so early.

If England can save the follow on, it's going to be a draw, if not then only the weather can prevent an Australian win.

But, to regain the Ashes they have to win this and the remaining two; England can afford to lose this one, and a draw here means they keep the Ashes.

If England can save the follow on, it's going to be a draw, if not then only the weather can prevent an Australian win.

But, to regain the Ashes they have to win this and the remaining two; England can afford to lose this one, and a draw here means they keep the Ashes.

Australia don't have a realistic chance to regain the ashes.

A draw or a win here for the Aussies would be enough. Another draw or win in the next two tests would be the aim.

• Like 1

England only needs to draw one of three matches to keep the Ashes, and England have an extra team member now, Mother Nature.

Is it my imagination or is it a bit quiet on here tonightbiggrin.png

Poms only ever open their mouth to gloat.

Yes we do .Expect a lot of gloating in 3 day.biggrin.png

You are claiming to be English yet have no command of the language? Are you an immigrant?

Is that a legendary baggy green attempt at sledging?

You've got me rattled now cobber...

passifier.gif

Yes, 2 games up, play for draws and a series win. F..K the millions of viewers and spectators who would like to see good entertaining cricket right through.

A Boycott mentality reigns.

Where's Botham when you need him?

• Like 1

Yes, 2 games up, play for draws and a series win. F..K the millions of viewers and spectators who would like to see good entertaining cricket right through.

Very true about the Boycott mentality. Shown by the English team and some posters here. Grind it out. Take no risks.

England have a great team, they should play to dominate every game.

Very true about the Boycott mentality. Shown by the English team and some posters here. Grind it out. Take no risks.

England have a great team, they should play to dominate every game.

That's how Australia played for 3 winning decades. Attacking style always.

If Australia had come in chasing over 500 with 30 overs left in the day they would have had a target of 100 by stumps.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

If either of you try to say that were the positions reversed; over 500 behind and over three days to play; Australia would have done any different; I wont believe you. Clarke is not that stupid.

If they had, they may have been 100 plus at stumps, but they could also, after nearly two debilitating days in the field, easily been 6 wickets down as well!

Play according to the situation; anyone who knows test cricket will tell you that.

England's aims today are to 1) still be batting (first innings!) at the close; 2) avoid the follow on.

To do the latter they need to score at a rate of at least 3 an over; but the first is the priority.

That's test cricket.

If either of you try to say that were the positions reversed; over 500 behind and over three days to play; Australia would have done any different; I wont believe you. Clarke is not that stupid.

If they had, they may have been 100 plus at stumps, but they could also, after nearly two debilitating days in the field, easily been 6 wickets down as well!

Play according to the situation; anyone who knows test cricket will tell you that.

England's aims today are to 1) still be batting (first innings!) at the close; 2) avoid the follow on.

To do the latter they need to score at a rate of at least 3 an over; but the first is the priority.

That's test cricket.

Australia played the opposite way of which you speak for 20 successful years. Score quickly no matter the circumstance.

That is test cricket

Bookman, you memory plays you false.

There were times when the situation demanded it that the Australian team of which you speak played the same as England did last night and scored slowly.

Ponting was too good a player and too good a captain to have done otherwise.

You just remember the times when the run rate was high, and have forgotten the others.

Bookman, you memory plays you false.

There were times when the situation demanded it that the Australian team of which you speak played the same as England did last night and scored slowly.

Ponting was too good a player and too good a captain to have done otherwise.

You just remember the times when the run rate was high, and have forgotten the others.

I must have forgotten that one time in 20 years they scored at 2 per over.

It does not surprise me at all 7by7 that you fondly remember the time. laugh.png