The Ashes Tour 2013

Even the Aussies looking on this series as a warm up for the real series beginning in November!

I like your optimism here 7by7.

Ill tell you after the fifth test whether I share it or not laugh.png

Which fifth test?

The one at The Oval or the one at The SCG? whistling.gif

Edited by 7by7

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even the Aussies looking on this series as a warm up for the real series beginning in November!

I like your optimism here 7by7.

Ill tell you after the fifth test whether I share it or not laugh.png

Which fifth test?

The one at The Oval or the one at The SCG? whistling.gif

I have seen a few great victories by Australia at the SCG.

If Australia play poorly in both the 4th and 5th test in England I would be feeling pessimistic about our chances back in Australia

I find it hard to believe that any batsman on either side would deliberately cheat in the manner of these allegations and this is a storm in a tea cup; such as the allegations of ball tampering thrown at England during the Champions Trophy; even though no official reports were made nor action taken.

I can believe that a player or two from either side would try the tape if they thought they could get away with it. Lot of prestige gained for playing for your country. Not to mention the money.

Look at Hansie Cronje. Hero of a nation who turned out to be a cheat

A good point, though Cronje cheated because he was in the pay of Asian bookmakers.

I am not so naïve as to believe that a player would never cheat to give him or his side an unfair advantage, and I gave two possible examples of well known players who may have done.

However, the key point in my post is that I find it hard to believe that any batsman on either side would deliberately cheat in the manner of these allegations.

The reason being, as KP has said, that such an action would be detrimental in any review of an lbw decision where the batsman thought he had nicked the ball before it hit his pads.

Although in the three tests so far there have been 26 caught behinds and 17 lbws. But the batsmen have no way of knowing in advance that it would pan out that way. In the West Indies v Pakistan test at Providence in May 2011, 20 of the 40 wickets to fall were lbws (source). (I can't find a similar record for caught behind, only for most catches in a match.)

As we have seen, hot spot is not reliable and during these tests the third umpire has taken a definite mark as evidence of a nick, but where there hasn't been one he has looked for other evidence such as a noise or some deviation of the ball; as in KP's dismissal on Monday.

Based on what you are reporting, I think KP is being slightly disingenuous and attempting to obfuscate the matter about the LBW snick V the caught behind.

It is the caught behind the players would be trying to avoid.

The bat onto the pads snicks are generally thicker and picked up more easily. Most times it completely misses the bat to hit the pad. So a comparison of LBW to Caught behind is false, as we would only be interested in LBW decisions where the ball hit the bat, be that given out or referred to DRS.

Whereas the caught behinds are often a very slight snick and these are the ones the player is trying avoid showing up on hotspot, so it would stand to reason they would use something they thought might benefit themselves.

There has been many instances of Tets players (from all countries) being caught on camera picking at the seams of the ball, stepping on the ball, generally trying to gain advantage. They nearly always deny it, despite the evidence. Nothing much has ever happened to these players and I would expect the same here.

Possibly, though the point now seems moot because, as the BBC have reported in the article I quoted above, the ICC have said that the use of silicone tape is not illegal.

Don't be too pessimistic about your guy's chances in Oz; whatever the results of the next two tests.

They'll have home advantage and their performances can only improve.

Who can forget 2006/7!

It is not illegal, mainly because it has only just come to light, I wonder if it is just general off the shelf tape or a specially manufactured.

May be a tape that when bruised will change color for a few minutes before fading, I am sure there it the technology out there to do that.

Both teams have denied using it.

The ICC have said that it's not illegal to use it.

Until, and if, the ICC declare it illegal, that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.

Except to say that it will be a great shame if this series is remembered for this and the controversies over the DRS rather than for the cricket.

Edited by 7by7

Possibly, though the point now seems moot because, as the BBC have reported in the article I quoted above, the ICC have said that the use of silicone tape is not illegal.

Don't be too pessimistic about your guy's chances in Oz; whatever the results of the next two tests.

Who can forget 2006/7!

I agree, the group we have now nearly beat South Africa at home.

We historically don't play the swinging ball in England that well but at home

I think we're a lot better.

I'm not saying we're a better side that England and I still don't think we'll

win a test there (my prediction was 4 nil) but we will be a lot better at home.

Edited by Will27

Who can forget 2006/7!

I agree, the group we have now nearly beat South Africa at home.

We historically don't play the swinging ball in England that well but at home

I think we're a lot better.

I'm not saying we're a better side that England and I still don't think we'll

win a test there (my prediction was 4 nil) but we will be a lot better at home.

I'm still going my 3-1 tongue.png

I'm not yet pessimistic about Australia's chances back in Australia. I'll judge that after the fifth test.

ICC would need 'strong evidence' before acting on Hot Spot claims

The International Cricket Council's general manager of cricket says the governing body would need to see "some strong evidence" before acting upon suspicions that material such as silicone tape affects detection of edges by Hot Spot.

Geoff Allardice confirmed on Thursday that he had met with Warren Brennan, the owner of the thermal heating Decision Review System technology, and in an email this week had received concerns from him about the impact of tape on bats on the accuracy of the device.

See Full Article Here

From the above article:

"I think it's very early days, in that players have had coatings on bats, and manufacturers' stickers on bats, and reinforcing tape on bats for forever and a day," he (Allardice) said. "We listened to Warren's view and there may be something in it but I'd think we'd want to gain a lot more evidence before we'd look at rule changes or anything like that.

Nothing illegal being done by any batsman in either team in this regard.

From the BBC live text page this morning:

09:35

The Daily Express predicts two unchanged teams, while carrying Captain Cook's response to England being dubbed "disrespectful, smug and arrogant" by Aussie legend Shane Warne (pause for ironic chuckle). "People are entitled to their opinions, but to be honest it's Shane Warne shouting his mouth off. I can assure you we try to be as respectful as we can to the opposition and try and do things in a proper way," Cook insists. The Sun is less circumspect, headlining its piece "Shut it Warne" while featuring a picture of the leg-spinner dancing with a stump on the Trent Bridge balcony in 1997 (non-disrespectfully, non-smugly and non-arrogantly, of course).

Made me chuckle.

Weather report for today is overcast but dry.

Ball swinging early? If so, Cook will surely want to bowl first.

From the above article:

"I think it's very early days, in that players have had coatings on bats, and manufacturers' stickers on bats, and reinforcing tape on bats for forever and a day," he (Allardice) said. "We listened to Warren's view and there may be something in it but I'd think we'd want to gain a lot more evidence before we'd look at rule changes or anything like that.

Nothing illegal being done by any batsman in either team in this regard.

Nothing is being done that goes against the current laws of the game , apparently. (I say apparently as I am relying on third party info here).

However, if tape id being used with the purpose of avoiding hotspot showing on the DRS then it is cheating plain and simple.

That the Cricketing laws and governing body does not already have in place a law to stop this, or that they do not have the power to stop any taping until it is cleared/or not is a statement of how Cricket needs strong leadership, not the wishy washy stuff we have had for years

Teams:

England: Alastair Cook (capt), Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior (wk), Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson.

Australia: David Warner, Chris Rogers, Usman Khawaja, Michael Clarke (capt), Steve Smith, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Peter Siddle, Ryan Harris, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird.

Bird receiving praise on TMS for his efforts in making the batsman play.

I don't know him; any ideas why he was preferred to Starc?

They also can't understand why Siddle hasn't had a bowl yet.

Considering the umpiring controversies in the series so far, members may be interested in the following:

Simon Mann, BBC Test Match Special
"We'll hear from John Holder during the lunch interval for our 'Ask the Umpire' feature, you can email them in to [email protected] - we've thought of some of our own during this series..."

To hear it, follow the link on this page.

Bird receiving praise on TMS for his efforts in making the batsman play.

I don't know him; any ideas why he was preferred to Starc?

They also can't understand why Siddle hasn't had a bowl yet.

It is a mystery. Frankly I am mystified as to why we don't open the bowling with him