The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Australia 315 for 7.

Only the second score above 300 in an ODI at Old Trafford; the other, and record, being 318 for 7 by Sri Lanka in 2006.

Big ask for England; need their highest ever run chase to win.

Not what Morgan expected this morning when he put Australia in!

Edited by 7by7

I tried this ... http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=216272∂=sports ... but none of the links are working.

Anyone got an internet feed for the game.

As always ... thanks in advance.

Mate...I can see your problem... The link is defaulting to 'sports' in general.

You actually have to click on the Cricket tab icon to get the links.

The links change every game

Watson out to another dodgy DRS review

Watson out; loud, wooden sound with nothing the ball could have hit except the bat.

Both bat and ball were well away from anything else, so what did the ball hit if it wasn't the bat?

Don't forget that he had an lbw decision overturned on DRS earlier when the third umpire couldn't be sure if the ball had hit bat or pad first.

Good win from the Aussies; why spoil it with silly whingeing?

Match report.

Watson out to another dodgy DRS review

Watson out; loud, wooden sound with nothing the ball could have hit except the bat.

Both bat and ball were well away from anything else, so what did the ball hit if it wasn't the bat?

Don't forget that he had an lbw decision overturned on DRS earlier when the third umpire couldn't be sure if the ball had hit bat or pad first.

Good win from the Aussies; why spoil it with silly whingeing?

Match report.

The Aussies winning and the DRS are separate issues.

Hardly a silly whinge pointing out the system flaws.

I want the system to have integrity. I am surprised you don't care as much about the game

As previously discussed at length, hotspot is not perfect and there are reasons why none will show even though the ball has struck bat or pad.

In Watson's case there was no hotspot, but a definite sound as the ball passed the toe of his bat. Slow motion replays from various angles also showed the ball brushing the toe of his bat.

Not a dodgy judgement, one made on the evidence available.

I accept that the DRS is not perfect; and never will be. However, to suggest that it lacks integrity is not a criticism of the system but an attack on the integrity of the third umpire!

Introducing snicko to it, which will happen in the next Ashes series in November I understand, will help in situations such as this.

But at the end of the day, whether the DRS is retained or not, players and spectators alike have to accept the decision of the umpires.

I do care about the game and do not want to see it degenerate into the situation existing in football for far too many years where after every major decision the referee is surrounded by players protesting!

I trust that you do not want that, either.

As previously discussed at length, hotspot is not perfect and there are reasons why none will show even though the ball has struck bat or pad.

In Watson's case there was no hotspot, but a definite sound as the ball passed the toe of his bat. Slow motion replays from various angles also showed the ball brushing the toe of his bat.

Not a dodgy judgement, one made on the evidence available.

I accept that the DRS is not perfect; and never will be. However, to suggest that it lacks integrity is not a criticism of the system but an attack on the integrity of the third umpire!

Introducing snicko to it, which will happen in the next Ashes series in November I understand, will help in situations such as this.

But at the end of the day, whether the DRS is retained or not, players and spectators alike have to accept the decision of the umpires.

I do care about the game and do not want to see it degenerate into the situation existing in football for far too many years where after every major decision the referee is surrounded by players protesting!

I trust that you do not want that, either.

Mate, the third umpire during the test matches lost all credibility. The 3rd umpire did the game great disservice and yes, I would seriously question his integrity, given the bizarre decisions the 3rd umpire made. How could you not?

Some of the third umpire's decisions in the tests, effecting both sides, were bizarre, but by no means all.

But I don't question the integrity of the men performing that duty; just their competence!

However, in Watson's dismissal yesterday, as with other's in the tests, video and audio evidence showed the third umpire was right; even though there was no hotspot.

Some of the third umpire's decisions in the tests, effecting both sides, were bizarre, but by no means all.

But I don't question the integrity of the men performing that duty; just their competence!

However, in Watson's dismissal yesterday, as with other's in the tests, video and audio evidence showed the third umpire was right; even though there was no hotspot.

There was a sound...but no deviation and no hotspot... Decision took far too long.

I just want to see consistency with decisions. Clear rules. Something everyone can follow. We can all watch the replays so it should not be secret as to why decisions are made.

Even if we ignore the slow motion replays from several angles which appeared to show the ball brushing the toe of the bat, there was, as you admit, a sound as the ball passed the toe of his bat.

So, as both the ball and the toe of his bat were well away from his body, the ground and anything else either could have hit; where did the sound come from if not from ball touching bat?

Even if we ignore the slow motion replays from several angles which appeared to show the ball brushing the toe of the bat, there was, as you admit, a sound as the ball passed the toe of his bat.

So, as both the ball and the toe of his bat were well away from his body, the ground and anything else either could have hit; where did the sound come from if not from ball touching bat?

English slips cordon?

Bookman, I assume you are either clutching at straws or making a joke.

But if you are serious, the Australians are doing it too; witness KP's caught behind dismissal in England's second innings of the third test. No hotspot, but a definite sound, third umpire upheld the onfield's umpire's decision: out.

Starc set to miss Ashes with back injury

Mitchell STarc is unlikely to play in Australia's home Ashes campaign after being diagnosed with a stress fracture in his lower back. Starc flew home from the ongoing limited-overs series in England due to back soreness and scans have shown that his injury will rule him out for "a prolonged period", almost certainly meaning that he will be unavailable for at least the start of the Ashes, if not the whole series.

Australia have already suffered similar injury blows in their fast-bowling ranks with James Pattinson sent home from the Ashes tour of England and Pat Cummins ruled out of the coming home summer, both with stress fractures of the lower back. Starc, 23, was Australia's third leading wicket taker during the unsuccessful Ashes campaign in England with 11 wickets at 32.45, and he would have been a likely starter for the first Test at the Gabba.

Read Here

Edited by BookMan

England unchanged.

Australia make one change, it's a seamer's pitch so Hazelwood in for Ahmed.

Clarke wins the toss and elects to bowl. No surprise there, given the conditions and the likelihood of rain later. Duckworth-Lewis often favours the team batting second; certainly if time is lost in the first innings as they know what their target is.

Edited by 7by7

Last ball of the over and the ball bounced off KP's thigh and trickled into the leg side.

Carberry's call, but KP set of anyway so he could keep the strike. Carberry tried to send him back. Even though KP could have made it back with ease, he kept on going; they nearly ended up at the same end! So, as the junior partner, Carberry had to set off even though he had no chance of making it to the other end and sacrifice his wicket.

Last ball of the over and the ball bounced off KP's thigh and trickled into the leg side.

Carberry's call, but KP set of anyway so he could keep the strike. Carberry tried to send him back. Even though KP could have made it back with ease, he kept on going; they nearly ended up at the same end! So, as the junior partner, Carberry had to set off even though he had no chance of making it to the other end and sacrifice his wicket.

Thanks for that.

I was actually wondering about Carberry in general. I dont know much about him