UnionPay ATM card

I have a UnionPay ATM Chip card from HSBC HK that I've never used. What is the optimal way to use a UnionPay card in Bangkok, i.e. avoiding fees and/or poor exchange rates?

Do AEON ATMs accept UnionPay cards?

Would a counter withdrawal inside a branch be fee-free and exchange at the same rate?

Gosh, this article don't make it sound to promising for your card's use: Link

Also, here's a Link to HSBC HK talking about the chip card, issues/how to use it in other countries, etc. Link

Don't know if the card carries a foreign transaction fee...many cards have such a fee(s) in the 1 to 3% ballpark...if your card does be sure to take that into consideration.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

I have one of those cards too but have so far not tried to take any cash out with it, so I'm not sure about transaction charges or exchange rates. I have seen the Unionpay symbol on quite a few ATMs here, and when I activated the card by doing a balance enquiry, it worked fine. I suspect the UnionPay problem may be worse in Europe, I'll find out when I go later this year. However I plan to link the ATM card to the credit card first so I can use the Plus network if need be, so long as that doesn't mean it counts as a cash advance with interest payable, haven't checked that out with HSBC yet.

• Like 1

I've just done a search on the UnionPay ATM Search page with Country = Thailand. The results are:

Bangkok Bank

Kasikorn Bank(KBank)

Thai Siam Commercial Bank(SCB)

Thai KrungThai Bank(KTB)

Thai Military Bank(TMB)

United Overseas Bank(UOB)

Thanachart Bank(TBank)

Commerce International Merchant Bank (CIMB)

CitiBank

I've read in other threads though that there is a fee for every withdrawal transaction. Would branch withdrawals circumvent the fee?

Edited by hyperdimension

I Have a HSCB ATM card from Hong kong Union pay, ATM availability in ASIA is excellent pretty well most banks, In Thailand the withdrawel fee charge is BAHT 50. If it goes on the plus or Visa system its BAHT150, they recently changed ATM card to Union pay no Plus system and added chips to all cards.

In USA and UK not many places to use in ATMs only really Asian banks or HSBC, as mentioned before best thing to do if you also have a HSBC account with a credit card is to link it to the ATM card.

• Like 1

UnionPay is a Chinese brand, but its catching on world wide. However saying that I could not find an ATM in places such as Indonesia or the UK that would accept.

I have had my UnionPay debit card for over three years, issued by my mainland bank in China, it is excellent for purchases over the counter where no fee is levied, however if you use it as an ATM card outside of its issued country then a fee is charged.

• Like 1

UnionPay is a Chinese brand, but its catching on world wide. However saying that I could not find an ATM in places such as Indonesia or the UK that would accept.

I have had my UnionPay debit card for over three years, issued by my mainland bank in China, it is excellent for purchases over the counter where no fee is levied, however if you use it as an ATM card outside of its issued country then a fee is charged.

Are you sure no foreign currency conversion fee would be levied on foreign card transactions using a Union Pay card? I find this hard to believe as most banks worldwide levy a percentage fee (usually 1-3%) on such transactions - but I will request a Union Pay/Visa or Mastercard credit card to be issued for me from my company in China for use both within China and abroad very soon anyways as using a credit card issued in Australia/Europe etc. is becoming very expensive and inconvenient for me to use for company expenses as paying off the card involves transferring money back to those countries.

• 2 weeks later...

Hyperdimension,

I am exactly in the same situation, AEON ATMs does not accept the new ATM card from HSBC HK. Too bad as it was the only one i found that did not charge the 150 baht fees.

I have been checking around last weekend and tried several ATM's in BKK, It seems that UOB charged only 50 baht. If anyone knows an ATM which charge less than that please share smile.png.

Another tip for French: It is better to use Caisse d'epargne ATMs while in France than HSBC ATMs. The fee applied by HSBC HK is 20HK$ instead of 40HK$.

Edited by pms33