Riddick Bowe “Destroyed” in Debut Muay Thai Boxing Match held in Pattaya

Rimmer

Riddick Bowe “Destroyed” in Debut Muay Thai Boxing Match held in Pattaya

riddick-bowe-4.jpg
PATTAYA:--In what many are describing as an embarrassing lesson for former World Boxing Champion Riddick “Big Daddy” Bowe, who chose Pattaya for his debut Muay Thai bout, the former “Great” lost by Knock-Out in the second round of his fight against 30 year old Russian Levgen Golovin.

The “Muay Thai Super Fight” event was held at the Bali Hai Port in South Pattaya on Friday Night and featured a number of international Muay Thai fights in an event held to boost the profile of the famous Thai Sport to the rest of the World.

The event was well attended, with many of the spectators coming to see Riddick Bowe, who beat Evander Holyfield in 1992 to become the undisputed World Heavyweight Champion.

For Friday’s fight Bowe weighed in at a heavy 300 pounds and throughout the short fight he was slow and showed none of his punching power he was so well known for.
Full story:pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-06-15

"Well attended"?

On ESPN they said the promoters expected 20,000 and got around 1000! The admission was free too!

I suppose that's all you can expect when there is zero promotion, I heard nothing about it and and only found out now after the fact.

"Well attended"?

On ESPN they said the promoters expected 20,000 and got around 1000! The admission was free too!

I suppose that's all you can expect when there is zero promotion, I heard nothing about it and and only found out now after the fact.

Get out much...there were prominent road signs on the main roads around town.

Low turnout probably because most people aren't much interested in watching an ancient (in boxing terms) overweight has been fighter in action.

Bowe is a boxer only and never threw a single punch, he was totally out classed in Muay Tahi and should never have gotten into the ring. On the other hand if all Golovin can do is kick and cant throw a punch, he will hit a brick wall earlier than later. Overall the 2 rounds were terrible and not very exciting.

As far as Bowe's career goes, he should go home, sit on the lounge, turn on the telly, and have a Budweiser.

• Like 1

Very sad fight.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

chris1dna.

I must admit my feelings were the same, he had an awful bewildered look on his face when he hit the canvas for the second time, his legs were continually pounded out from beneath his overweight body , he obviously had no experience at Muay Thai,and couldn't even lift his leg's for kicking or defense I felt the fight should have been stopped in round one. Not a fitting end for an ex world champion. Looked to me by his muscle tone and level of fitness that he hadn't been near a gym in years, sad indeed.

BW.

• Like 1

Here is a link to the video/ He clearly didn't even bother to train.

Right , he was way out of shape. Bowe never reached his potential in his prime either. Technically a boxer has a more powerful punch than a muay thai . There is more momentum because a boxers punch has more weight into the punch. Usually a boxer who converts to muay thai does alot better that a muay thai converting to pure boxer. A good boxer should be able to knock out a muay thai if he can block the kicks

Edited by morrobay

This report is an insult to a great former champion.

Here's a far better read:

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/9386875/ex-boxing-champ-riddick-bowe-punished-mma-debut

A "far better read" that is not an "insult" to Bowe? Did we read the same article???

"Despite his loss, Bowe was optimistic before limping away into a car.

"Hey, we're going to do this again. I'll be back soon," he said. "I'm not a quitter. I want to do it until I get it right."

Bowe's opponent shook his head in disbelief when told the aging boxer plans to return to Muay Thai.

"It would be a big mistake. It's not for him," said Golovin, a trim and fit 220 pounds. "He's too slow and a bit too old.""(emphasis added).

I think that come-backs are great, but you need to be in good shape and well trained, neither of which seems to be the case here. And, if you are not, expect an embarrassing/insulting event, which does seem to be the case here. Hopefully, he'll think carefully before doing it again.

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/9386875/ex-boxing-champ-riddick-bowe-punished-mma-debut

Lol that's an even more damning report than the PattayaOne effort .laugh.pngfacepalm.gif

It is not. It explains what bring all boxers down when trying to fight kick boxers - i.e. leg kicks. There's quite a few examples of professional boxers being "humiliated" by kick boxers - even boxers still in their prime. You can't box without legs.

Edited by tropo

A "far better read" that is not an "insult" to Bowe? Did we read the same article???

"Despite his loss, Bowe was optimistic before limping away into a car.

"Hey, we're going to do this again. I'll be back soon," he said. "I'm not a quitter. I want to do it until I get it right."

Bowe's opponent shook his head in disbelief when told the aging boxer plans to return to Muay Thai.

"It would be a big mistake. It's not for him," said Golovin, a trim and fit 220 pounds. "He's too slow and a bit too old.""(emphasis added).

I think that come-backs are great, but you need to be in good shape and well trained, neither of which seems to be the case here. And, if you are not, expect an embarrassing/insulting event, which does seem to be the case here. Hopefully, he'll think carefully before doing it again.

It was not exactly a come-back. He's changed sports.

Bowe is a boxer only and never threw a single punch, he was totally out classed in Muay Tahi and should never have gotten into the ring. On the other hand if all Golovin can do is kick and cant throw a punch, he will hit a brick wall earlier than later. Overall the 2 rounds were terrible and not very exciting.

As far as Bowe's career goes, he should go home, sit on the lounge, turn on the telly, and have a Budweiser.

You don't make $150,000 sitting at home drinking Budweiser.

Lol that's an even more damning report than the PattayaOne effort .laugh.pngfacepalm.gif

It is not. It explains what bring all boxers down when trying to fight kick boxers - i.e. leg kicks.

Yeah & it also explains what a badly organised event it was , how badly Bowe had prepared & how easily 'hasbeens' chasing a buck can humiliate themselves.

Yeah, and how easily he made $150,000 which was his only reason for fighting - he needs cash.

Both reports stated that .You said the pattayaone report was an insult to a great former champ & that the espn report was a far better read...Bowe is an insult to my eyes & moreover an insult to boxing & muay thai.I don't understand what you are trying to prove now .I already mentioned about him doing it to earn a buck .

There's jobs going all the time for washed out boxers working the doors at clubs and pubs .Maybe that should be his next career move.

Yeah, and how easily he made $150,000 which was his only reason for fighting - he needs cash.

Both reports stated that .You said the pattayaone report was an insult to a great former champ & that the espn report was a far better read...Bowe is an insult to my eyes & moreover an insult to boxing & muay thai.I don't understand what you are trying to prove now .I already mentioned about him doing it to earn a buck .

There's jobs going all the time for washed out boxers working the doors at clubs and pubs .Maybe that should be his next career move.

There's nothing insulting about a 45 year old ex-boxer trying to make an earn. When you have bills to pay you do what you can. Do you think he thought he may be competitive?

Give the guy a break, he's achieved more than most of us have in 5 life times.

I consider the article I posted explained why he was doing what he was doing. He's got guts to go out against a champion kick boxer. He knew his legs were going to break pretty early on.

Back in 1976 Ali "embarrassed" himself against Antonio Inoki in an exhibition match. He was still in good condition yet only threw 6 punches in 15 rounds... and the match had a lot of rules enforced to prevent Ali from getting injured. He did sustain some damage to his legs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Antonio_Inoki

Don't understand what happens to the money that these guys supposedly earn. I guess it's all hype.

Last big payday in 1996. Declared bankruptcy in 2005. He's been doing it very tough. Lots of lawyers fees with all the legal incidents ... charges of assault, kidnapping his kids etc etc. He claimed brain damage in his last case...

.. but with a 43 - 1 professional record he does deserve some respect.

"Well attended"?

Get out much...there were prominent road signs on the main roads around town.

Low turnout probably because most people aren't much interested in watching an ancient (in boxing terms) overweight has been fighter in action.

I was there for a week before the match, didn't notice one ad for it. Just now found out about it here!

It is not. It explains what bring all boxers down when trying to fight kick boxers - i.e. leg kicks. There's quite a few examples of professional boxers being "humiliated" by kick boxers - even boxers still in their prime. You can't box without legs.

It explains that he did not train and get into proper shape for this - or seem to appreciate he was taking up a very different sport with different rules. I've never seen a boxer in prime condition humiliated by a kickboxer, or visa versa. Do you have some references to the ones still in their prime that you mention please?

Seen a lot of old out of shape boxers and kickboxers humiliated which is always sad.

It explains that he did not train and get into proper shape for this - or seem to appreciate he was taking up a very different sport with different rules. I've never seen a boxer in prime condition humiliated by a kickboxer, or visa versa. Do you have some references to the ones still in their prime that you mention please?

Seen a lot of old out of shape boxers and kickboxers humiliated which is always sad.

The two often fought each other in MMA....especially in the early days when combined skills weren't so common.

Put a skilled kick boxer in with a skilled boxer and the boxer will never last long. Boxers just can't handle leg kicks and don't know how to defend against them....and they keep the boxer out of punching range. I don't think many would last even 2 rounds no matter how conditioned they are.

Well that maybe true. But put a skilled muay thai in with a boxer, in a pure boxing match and the muay thai will not last long.

Again, since a boxer pivots with the punch there is more momentum ( mass x velocity ) in a boxers punch. Actually its the change in momentum called the Impules of the force ( mass x accelaration) that acts during time of collision: dp = F dt. Can be visualized as area under curve for F(t) and on x axis delta ( t )