Crisis at Thailand F.A.

Lite Beer

Crisis at football body
Kitinan Sanguansak
The Nation on Sunday
30208411-01_big.jpg?1371338935321
Worawi Makudi, the embattled incumbent president of the Football Association of Thailand, talks to the media after yesterday

BANGKOK: -- Court order forces FAT chief Worawi to cancel ballot for new president; FIFA will have to rule

The Football Association of Thailand's presidential election has turned into fiasco that will require intervention from the sport's governing body Fifa to sort out affairs, after the FAT meeting yesterday was cancelled.

Incumbent FAT president Worawi Makudi, whose third two-year mandate expires today, de-cided to postpone the ballot, pending approval that the association's new regulations comply with Fifa's new statute. This matter had also been due to take place in the meeting.

However, Min Buri Court in Bangkok issued an injunction on Friday to prevent the vote, as petitioned by Thai club Pattaya. This meant that Worawi, who also sits on Fifa's powerful executive committee, had to call off the meeting yesterday.

One of the reasons for the court move was because Worawi is overseeing a change to the FAT rules. There are fears these may reduce the number of members eligible to vote for a new chief. The FAT president's reign has been wracked with controversy and division - and many want to see him replaced.

FAT lawyer Veera Khammee announced cancellation of the meeting over the public address system at the FAT headquarters in Nong Chok. This was greeted by loud dismay by observing fans.

Worawi then hosted a conference, saying he already reported what had happened to Fifa. But he was unable to say what the world governing body would do about the issue.

"We can't hold the meeting today as we simply had to follow the court order. But, we informed Fifa about the incident and they understood.

"We now have to wait to know what Fifa would say on the issue. We should receive a letter from them by Monday. But, I have to say we need to do whatever they say. If it becomes a legal issue, we need to use the law to deal with it.

"I can't say right now what will be the consequence from today's meeting being cancelled. Whether we will get suspended or not? I can't say. Just wait and see what Fifa will say," the Thai FAT chief said. With the date for the poll yet to be set, it raised questions as to whether the FAT can hold the poll more than 30 days after the incumbent chief's term expires, as stipulated by Thai sports law. But Veera insisted the association could do so legally.

"In the case that an election cannot be held, the incumbent still can continue in the post as acting president. However, if there is an attempt to get SAT (the Sports Authority of Thailand) involved in this, we'll deal with it within the law," Veera said.

Annop Singtothong, vice president of Thai Premier League club Chon Buri FC and a leader of Worawi's rival group, was preparing to gather one-third of FAT members to force the organisation to hold the presidential ballot within 30 days.

"Personally, I believe the association needs to stage the vote as soon as possible. We'll now gather one third of members [61 of 183] to ask the organisation to conduct the election within 30 days. If they don't do so, we'll request SAT to intervene as stipulated by sports law." Annop insisted his move had nothing to do with the effort to get the association's regulations to be in line with those of Fifa.

"All members are willing to comply with Fifa's regulations. In fact, we had no objection with the new statute. But, we just would like to ask why there is an attempt to amend the rules on the final day of incumbent's mandate.

"I think if we get a new guy in a post he could do it as well. [but] we don't believe Fifa would ban us immediately."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-16

"One of the reasons for the court move was because Worawi is overseeing a change to the FAT rules. There are fears these may reduce the number of members eligible to vote for a new chief"

Wants to reduce the number of voters

Suspect it should read "wants to make those who plan to vote against him inelligible to vote"

• Like 1

The FAT controller has already long outstayed his welcome.

However, as an Englishman I am loathe to criticize the competence of another country's football association.

I saw something similar in another sports association. I mean, would you give up on a paid position you know nothing about administering let alone playing that gets you to jet around the world?

As a long suffering football fan and virulently anti-Fifa I think it's fitting that an obvious attempt to keep power, and all that goes with it, will be judged by one of the most corrupt organisations in the world headed by a megalomaniac who has treated world football as his personal fiefdom ever since he was made president.

Does a lot of that remind you of another megalomaniac and his home country ?

• Like 2

As a long suffering football fan and virulently anti-Fifa I think it's fitting that an obvious attempt to keep power, and all that goes with it, will be judged by one of the most corrupt organisations in the world headed by a megalomaniac who has treated world football as his personal fiefdom ever since he was made president.

One thing Sepp Blatter knows about is power and survival and this could both work for or against Worawi depending on how Blatter views him and his usefulness in office.

If I was Worawi I would hint strongly that if Blatter breaks his promise to stand down in 2015 and seeks re-election he is guaranteed Thailand's vote providing i am still in charge of the FA

A thoroughly corrupt organisation run by a thoroughly corrupt individual.

Thai FA Investigated, Faces Possible Disbandment - The Football Association of Thailand (FAT) is under investigation by a house corruption committee for tax-evasion and for setting up the Thai Premier League as a profit-making arm of the group

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/thai-fa-investigated-faces-possible-disbandment/124968/

Worawi Makudi faces prospect of Fifa ethics committee inquiry - FIFA says Thai football boss Worawi Makudi will face a formal investigation by its ethics committee unless he provides proof by 1 December he did not misuse $860,000 (£535,000) of football development funding
Accuse me of being corrupt and I'll sue, warns AFC Presidential candidate (Worawi Makudi)
The FAT president (Worawi Makudi) does not do that. Even away from all the current political palaver, he is being sued by a Korean company, Daihan Yonhap, for commercial and broadcasting rights they claim they never received (despite transferring nearly a million dollars into FAT's bank account) and hasn't been able to ensure all facilities for the FIFA Futsal World Cup will be ready in time for the kickoff in November. The Bangkok Futsal Arena in Nong Chok, the showpiece venue, is still under construction.
Rotten to the very core.
  • Like 1

As an ex class 1 football referee I will agree with all you say. Loads of monkeys doing a job they know little about-FIFA and the Thai FA and others are in the positions for wealth and comfort--

• Like 1