Looking for clear Shellac

Kiniyeow

I've been to Global House and Home Pro with pictures and Google translated to Thai of Shellac, Boiled Linseed oil and Tung oil, but all I get is Mai Mi. Now it might be just something that is lost in translation, who knows, but I did ask several people at both places and still they were not able to find what I wanted.

Now I know that the Shellac flakes are actually harvested from the Lac bug here in Thailand, so I would think that they have to have it someplace, apparently I just haven't found the right place yet.

What I want if for is to coat some of my woodturning projects. I have seen that they is an abundance of lacquer here (also derived form the Lac bug) so I might just have to go that route, but since it takes a bit longer to dry between coats, I'd rather make up my own mix of Shellac, BLO and denatured alcohol and use it as a quick drying friction polish.

Guess I'll have to make a run back to Global house and take a look for myself instead of asking their employees. I do remember seeing some products with a shark on the front of them. I just didn't look closely at them as several of the employees were just telling me, no have.

Thanks for the info.

The premixed Shark stuff comes in brown beer bottles. You should check if there is a date, because it goes bad after a while. If you are going to be using any sort of quantity, it is better to buy it dry by the kilo, and mix it yourself. Global House has the alcohol to mix it with.

Yeah there are several regular products in brown bottles at all the hardware stores (less likely at superstores as they are cheap!).

I can never get to work out which is in which......all I know is they're smelly and I find a white spirit equivalent difficult to find, they seem to be either shellac type things or very vaporous thinners.

It would be great if someone could do a review of these products with the names and what they are exactly.

OP you will certainly find Teak Oil in a greenish can at say Homepro and elsewhere. I believe it is largely the Tung oil you want, but certainly dearer than the brown bottles.

Edited by cheeryble

• 8 months later...