Is Thailand The Most Philosophical Country In The World?

theblether

I was at a dinner party last night, I was engrossed in a conversation when I heard someone talking about a Christian missionary that was playing a piano in the house across the way, ( very well may I add ), anyway this person said that she appreciated all the work that the Christian NGO's were doing but she got highly irritated when they came knocking on her door evangelizing. ( join the club Dearie ).

This lady went on to say that although Buddhist, she had been educated in a convent school, and that the education she had received had stood her in good stead ( hence her appreciation for the work being done ).

Anyway the conversation turned to Buddhism, and I mentioned an ancient Chinese philosopher called Lao Tze. I was met with blank looks until someone said " you mean Lao Tzu? ". Both spellings are used incidentally.......have a look at this......

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/people_n2/persons1_n2/laotze.html

He is known as the Father of Taoism......

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Taichi/lao.html

At this point two of the gentleman at the table launched into a long descriptor of the history and thoughts of Lao Tze. Comically one of them admitted to having taken a Masters degree in Philosophy but flunking it as he couldn't get his head round it. Poignantly though he then added that philosophy is wasted on the young, as they can recount the words but they can't understand the feelings.

His B-I-L then said that from the moment Thais are born they are introduced into philosophical thought, through the teachings of the Lord Buddha. He said that many of the ills of Thailand come from people doing exactly that, knowing the words but not the feelings, in effect making lip service. They were more interested in the teachings of Lao Tze than they were in Confucius, which surprised me. Confucius is well know to the West, Lao Tze less so. On the other hand when I brought up the roots of European philosophy they were a wee bit side stepped. The teachings of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle among many others are at the root of European civilization, and the teachings were broadly taken on by the Romans, hence giving them a wider influence throughout the Roman Empires.

Going back though to the words of the B-I-L, I reckon that he's right, and that Thailand is submersed in philosophy, whether it's enacted or not is another matter.

The piano stopped playing and the lights dimmed across the way. I wonder if the Christian missionary overheard the conversation and went to bed with food for thought?

Edited by theblether

I have read some of Socrates' dialogues with great fascination. He really knows how to dig up behavioural motives. In dialogue, he always considers the other party's brain is not conditioned but tries to talk to the heart of the other person itself. In other words, he regards his mind as pure. This is a lot more constructive and positive then uselessly rambling and blethering to the self, created facadal persona in his conversation.

Although I have not read LZ. Lao Tze's non aggressive approach has some similarities, I am sure

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

Anyway the conversation turned to Buddhism, and I mentioned an ancient Chinese philosopher called Lao Tze. I was met with blank looks until someone said " you mean Lao Tzu? ".

On a side note, this Chinese philosopher has only recently been rediscovered in China and elsewhere in Asia, through the works of Western thinkers. Ironically the current fad of ancient Eastern philosopher in Western contemporary thought has lead in the East --with its focus on American and European culture-- to rediscover their past.

Edited by Morakot

That's a fair point Morakot, I often wonder about the filtration and refinement of messages through the ages.

Good point! But only if you subscribe to something like Roland Barthes's idea of the Death of the Author: I.e. the birth of the reader who is able to (re)interpret meaning for him/ herself and that there is not only one true, unmalleable meaning of the (semiotic) text.

Edited by Morakot

That's a fair point Morakot,  I often wonder about the filtration and refinement of messages through the ages. 

By the way Kris, I think it's " The baby cow does not know the hungry tiger ". 

Just sayin'  Posted Image  

He, who posts does not know and he, who knows does not post.Posted Image

He who runs in front of car, gets tired. He who runs behind car gets exhausted.

;)

The only philosophy that exists here is the flavour of somtam. Never in my many years here, knowing hi-so types, well eductated Thais, have I ever had a philosophical conversation. Nor worldly events, nor religious or political conversations (outside of Thailand).

They do not even understand the satire behind The Daily Show. Now, if you cannot understand that, you have no cause to fight for.

Strange that, as I had an extensive conversation about philosophy last night.

@Morakot, once again a good point, I think a mature author lets his work go, people often find meanings within works that speak to them on a different level.

• Like 1

Is this about David Carradine or Yoda?

Just askin' so I know to wear my green ears or play my flute whilst reading it. (I was going to mention my rope in the closet, but decided it was philosophical bad taste) .

Hmmm........now that is a deep question, let me have a think about it. coffee1.gif

Cogito ergo blether

Aw wait a minute, that's the same as " I think, therefore I am "`

Could you not just have said that?

Gawd you get some snobs on Thaivisa. coffee1.gif

Hmmm........now that is a deep question, let me have a think about it. coffee1.gif

Cogito ergo blether

Aw wait a minute, that's the same as " I think, therefore I am "`

Could you not just have said that?

Gawd you get some snobs on Thaivisa. coffee1.gif

Nah! 3 words verses 5....just lazy.

• Like 1

I live out on the middle of Issan (now just arrived in Bangkok) but this morning two NGO's in their Christian t-shirts and 8 inch beards asked for a black coffee and a Thai breakfast.

They got Nescafé 3 in 1 with rice, toast and 3 eggs. Now if their intent is to help with English at underfunded schools etc then I have no problems. Or if their intent is to push religion as their T- shirts stated, then its wasted, unless its coming out of their own pockets.

Somehow I think it may have been funded as I have spoken to a paid NGO in Laos who chose the job not for helping but for her lifestyle .

The money could be spent more wisely but at least they care, I suppose.

Thailand's religion is Buddhism which is more a philosophy rather than a Theistic religion based on faith, and as such I would say on the whole it is more philosophical than most.The problem that most westerners have in recognizing the Thais ability for introspection I think is one of communications.

Thais desire to keep personal thought private, especially toward foreigners, and some foreigners inability to speak the language.

• Like 2

Thailand's religion is Buddhism which is more a philosophy rather than a Theistic religion based on faith, and as such I would say on the whole it is more philosophical than most.The problem that most westerners have in recognizing the Thais ability for introspection I think is one of communications.

Thais desire to keep personal thought private, especially toward foreigners, and some foreigners inability to speak the language.

So the Thais belief in demons and angels, where does that come from?

• Like 1

That's an accurate assessment. wai.gif