Rhode island reds or rare breed of chickens

hoop

I did some research on the net and it seems once it becomes a habit it is very difficult to stop it.

Chickens are cannibalistic and will eat eachother and also any other (dead) meat.

I even heard stories of one flock which started to eat the owner after he died in the coop,

You may end up having to take all of the bad ones out in order to stop this behaviour,ones a bird is bleeding it also encourages new birds to start pecking.

We have lost a lot of young birds this year but i am very happy we do not have the problem you are having.

Look up 'the chicken chick' on google,she has a lot of info on this.

Thanks... that what I was afraid of... I will try to buy somewhere here anti-pecking spray.

Btw. due to what you've lost a lot of young birds, if I can ask ?

Cheers

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are pretty much in the dark about this,about half of all the chicks died already.They just stop growing and waste away,we have tried deworming,antibiotics

vitamins,extra protein and forcefeeding.Nothing seems to work ,the rest are fine and growing good.

I know there are a lot of mosquitos at night and we raised some young inside where there are no insects at all but we lost half of them also.

We keep everything clean and they roam around free in the daytime.

I think they have enough proteins as 20% of my food is soya meal with 45% of proteins (as per producer) 30% small corn, 30% rice ram (good quality), 10% small rice and 10% whole rice seeds. If I'm doing something wrong here please correct me.

I put your numbers in my ecxel and i got 17,6%. I

How big are the egg? Maybe to big?

Or try to cut out a little bit sojaprotein and fill it up with protein from animal like fishmeal. About 7 % will be good. But where is the salt and the vitamin and calcium? There should be about 3.5 % Calcium in Layerfeed.

jvs:

I know there are a lot of mosquitos at night and we raised some young inside where there are no insects at all but we lost half of them also.

How there walk around on the daytime. There stay in a corner and sleep at the daytime or walk around and try to get feed?

Or if there have no small fedder around the eyes. This can be also a sign that moskito not let them sleep.

Picking fedder is normaly a sign of "missing Protein". But in my eyes maybe a sign of missing "Animal Protein".

I am not sure. Must try.

post-147638-0-79424000-1449401837_thumb.

I modified the feed and i cut out all the rice and put cassava inside. The Ecxel is in German and so i am not if you can read it.

Edited by Allgeier

I think they have enough proteins as 20% of my food is soya meal with 45% of proteins (as per producer) 30% small corn, 30% rice ram (good quality), 10% small rice and 10% whole rice seeds. If I'm doing something wrong here please correct me.

I put your numbers in my ecxel and i got 17,6%. I

How big are the egg? Maybe to big?

Or try to cut out a little bit sojaprotein and fill it up with protein from animal like fishmeal. About 7 % will be good. But where is the salt and the vitamin and calcium? There should be about 3.5 % Calcium in Layerfeed.

The Ecxel is in German and so i am not if you can read it.

Thanks a lot :)

I will try with fish meal as I have one bag 30 kg laying around :)

Of course I give them calcium... around 4%... No problem with egg shells at all.

And no, unfortunately I don't speak German :/

Ok here are some thoughts. The Barred Rock male crossed with a black gai ban will give you barred offspring

I calculate your protein at 17% which is fine, but recommend 5% calcium. I would not add salt, But if you really want there is a commercial multivit you can buy at a vets. I would use fishmeal only if it is cheap as it can add a flavor to the eggs. It is usually 70% protein.

The photo of the feather picking looks a little like a prolapsed vent. It shouldn't be that widespread but would not be uncommon in spent layers If so, this bird needs culled.

If you have a hen that is picking feathers she needs to culled. You bought spent layers who lived there life in a very small cage and never really acquired a flock mentality. In a flock there will be some fighting and they will establish a pecking order. Remove any bleeding birds immediately. Go to the market and get some vegetable leaves like cabbage and make 3-4 piles out near the edge of you run. WASH the leaves first. If you can get tomatoes and watermelon (they are red) it would be great also bananas and papaya that are over ripe are good. All this just gives them something to pick at.

"Hi, thanks for answer. First - they pecking feathers on others hens.

This behaviour become a problem because as I said 25-30 % of chickens do this.

Fighting is normal as this is to establish/remind order in the flock but picking feathers is not.

Some of them looks like do nothing else just walking around and looks for victim to steal from her some feathers.

I can't take out 30% of my flock smile.png

I give them some termites, grass etc from time to time... but I will try to do more often,,, I increased also amount of soya in the food since yesterday.

Will see how it work."

If you need to cull 30% then you cull 30%. If not you will just lose more money. It is either a business or a hobby.

You are making a hell of an effort but you should cull this flock and start over. Good luck either way.

We took a bunch of chicks about 4-6 weeks old out to a coop on our farm. The mosquitos did a number on them before anyone let me know and we lost about half. Cull any bird that does not start to gain weight after abut 2-3 weeks as they will never produce well and will be more susceptible to illness down the road.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone. Raising poultry is rewarding.

cheers

If you have a hen that is picking feathers she needs to culled. You bought spent layers who lived there life in a very small cage and never really acquired a flock mentality. In a flock there will be some fighting and they will establish a pecking order. Remove any bleeding birds immediately. Go to the market and get some vegetable leaves like cabbage and make 3-4 piles out near the edge of you run. WASH the leaves first. If you can get tomatoes and watermelon (they are red) it would be great also bananas and papaya that are over ripe are good. All this just gives them something to pick at.

If you need to cull 30% then you cull 30%. If not you will just lose more money. It is either a business or a hobby.

You are making a hell of an effort but you should cull this flock and start over. Good luck either way.

We took a bunch of chicks about 4-6 weeks old out to a coop on our farm. The mosquitos did a number on them before anyone let me know and we lost about half. Cull any bird that does not start to gain weight after abut 2-3 weeks as they will never produce well and will be more susceptible to illness down the road.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone. Raising poultry is rewarding.

cheers

Yes you are right, I bought spent layers (100) from horrible coop and also 100 hens from farm where they were in cages feeding with everything what is possible just to make more eggs. My girlfriend is saying that those chickens are crazy now as they are missing all those hormones and chemistry they were eating all their life... Anyway, I have already 36 new born chicks and still waiting for more... should be around 70 (mostly RIR but I don't know how many roosters gonna be)... Most of those chickens I wanna sell are small (as you mentioned - underweight) and I don't know where I can sell them :/

I'm planning move to the main coop (in separated from other chickens area) small chicks (around 2 weeks old) so if you can share your experience and give me some advice how you are dealing with mosquitoes I would be grateful. I'm afraid that I will loose half of them due to mosquitoes as you have mentioned. I thought about buying this "violet" lamp and place it in their place but I don't know if I'm right or there is other way.

Thanks a lot for all your time and afford to help me with my problems of the beginners :)

Btw well with 250 chickens I wouldn't call it business yet... there was some money for beer and I treat it for now exactly like a hobby with small amount of income :)

We found the only way to protect the chicks from mossies is to put them in a room where the mosquitos can not get in,that is the only way to do it!

We build cages to put them in at night and use they same net as we have on the windows for the house,the problem with this is that there is not much air movement and as the birds get older

it get pretty warm in there.

Next thing we will do is build a room(2x3 m.) with a fan and put the cages in there.

We are just trying to sell some young birds now and then and get some money for feed,hobbies are supposed to cost money?

If i would have spend the same time doing other things outside of the farm i know i would have spend a lot more money!

Last spring we send a few birds to the local vet.university hospital and they showed us the bugs moving around in the blood.I forgot the name of course but they said that local birds built up a better resistance and not many will die.Imported stock has not yet had the chance to do this but hopefully the second and later generations will be stronger.

My girlfriend is saying that those chickens are crazy now as they are missing all those hormones and chemistry they were eating all their life..

There are made or bredded to make eggs. And now for sure there start to be crazy because there not get the feed to make eggs. Its not possible to feed some highbreed with simple feed.

Last week in the macro, 80 bath for 30 eggs. How i or you can feed the chicken for this price. Its only possible if you put them in cages and feed them with commercial feed. Some like Big Horn have done it. Everythink else is wasting money.

If a egg smell from fish it's not from the fishmeal. It is a "genetic error" from the chicken. The fishmeal is also to expensive for chicken. Chickenmeal or porkmeal will be cheaper.Some Protein from animal. Chicken are not vegetarian.On

All the small bird i put in a cage like this to protect them moskito. And its help.

post-147638-0-98356900-1449549558_thumb.

Edited by Allgeier

My girlfriend is saying that those chickens are crazy now as they are missing all those hormones and chemistry they were eating all their life..

There are made or bredded to make eggs. And now for sure there start to be crazy because there not get the feed to make eggs. Its not possible to feed some highbreed with simple feed.

Last week in the macro, 80 bath for 30 eggs. How i or you can feed the chicken for this price. Its only possible if you put them in cages and feed them with commercial feed. Some like Big Horn have done it. Everythink else is wasting money.

If a egg smell from fish it's not from the fishmeal. It is a "genetic error" from the chicken. The fishmeal is also to expensive for chicken. Chickenmeal or porkmeal will be cheaper.Some Protein from animal. Chicken are not vegetarian.On

All the small bird i put in a cage like this to protect them moskito. And its help.

Well... I'm selling every week 15 pallets for 95 bath to the local shop and woman who make sweet rice with eggs... Also I have customers who comes to my farm and buy No. 2 for 120 bath and No. 3 for 100 bath but all those people know that I don't keep chicken in cages and they don't eat commercial food. So far I have no problem in selling my eggs. People around says that here on the North of Thailand when cold nights are coming hens always drastically drop eggs production... and I can see that already... now I'm getting around 90 eggs from over 200 chickens... I know that some of those hens are spent and they don't lay eggs as they should but those one gonna be first I will rid of :)

But in Europa it is also cold and there make egg. Maybe you should turn on a light in the morning. chicken normaly dont care about the cold. There not like to windy. Maybe the wind go to mutch inside your chickenhouse.

Somewhere on the web i see advertising about freerange egg. 200 bath for 30 Egg here in Thailand. But no Local will pay this.

The selling is normaly not a Problem. The Problem is, if the income is enough the pay the expense.

And 90 Egg'a are around 300 Bath. And 200 Chicken eat how mutch?

But in Europa it is also cold and there make egg. Maybe you should turn on a light in the morning. chicken normaly dont care about the cold. There not like to windy. Maybe the wind go to mutch inside your chickenhouse.

Somewhere on the web i see advertising about freerange egg. 200 bath for 30 Egg here in Thailand. But no Local will pay this.

The selling is normaly not a Problem. The Problem is, if the income is enough the pay the expense.

Well... in Europe chickens are raised to used to the cold :)

And you are right... there is not much of a profit from this but to have decent profit I should have 2000 chickens not 200 :D

And this what I made cover the expenses but now question... where are money I invested ? Not likely to see them again :)

Well... in Europe chickens are raised to used to the cold smile.png

And you are right... there is not much of a profit from this but to have decent profit I should have 2000 chickens not 200 biggrin.png

And this what I made cover the expenses but now question... where are money I invested ? Not likely to see them again smile.png

Yes, it is cold but the breed should be the some, or not. Chicken dont care about cold. but there not like wind. And the daylight is now also shorter.

I am not sure if you have on 2000 chicken a profit if you let them run outside. BigHorn put them in a cage and feed them only 80 gr. a day. Maybe there come the profit.

To keep chicken in small number and get a proft why you not put the egg inside a incubator and sell after the small chicken. 50 or 60 Bath each should be possible.

Think, 3 Bath for fresh egg and after 21 days in the incubator 50 Bath.

And maybe your wife can open a Facebook site for advertisment. Must try.

The first if i am yours, i will buy a incubator and put the egg insite the incubator. It is easy and also not so expensive.

Well... in Europe chickens are raised to used to the cold smile.png

And you are right... there is not much of a profit from this but to have decent profit I should have 2000 chickens not 200 biggrin.png

And this what I made cover the expenses but now question... where are money I invested ? Not likely to see them again smile.png

Yes, it is cold but the breed should be the some, or not. Chicken dont care about cold. but there not like wind. And the daylight is now also shorter.

I am not sure if you have on 2000 chicken a profit if you let them run outside. BigHorn put them in a cage and feed them only 80 gr. a day. Maybe there come the profit.

To keep chicken in small number and get a proft why you not put the egg inside a incubator and sell after the small chicken. 50 or 60 Bath each should be possible.

Think, 3 Bath for fresh egg and after 21 days in the incubator 50 Bath.

And maybe your wife can open a Facebook site for advertisment. Must try.

The first if i am yours, i will buy a incubator and put the egg insite the incubator. It is easy and also not so expensive.

That's actually great idea... and I was thinking about this from same time already :D

But 50-60 THB per chicken ??? here they are selling Waren's like 15 THB or so... Unless maybe I will only hatch pure blood RIR and others :)

post-175342-0-34550500-1449711564_thumb.

post-175342-0-22399000-1449711570_thumb.

post-175342-0-64346900-1449711576_thumb.

Only make pure breed. The member here payed already 50 bath for small chick from a member with name "thaifarm".

Open a website or a facebook site and try to sell the chicken there.Better like this than sell the egg for 3 Bath. This have no future.

Only make pure breed. The member here payed already 50 bath for small chick from a member with name "thaifarm".

Open a website or a facebook site and try to sell the chicken there.Better like this than sell the egg for 3 Bath. This have no future.

Will do that :) Now I'm looking for incubator for 50-60 eggs for start :)

A incubator with 50 egg is to small. In the Macro there have a Foambox for about 200 Bath. In this Box is space for about 50 egg. If you make a incubator by your self for about 50 egg its will cost you about 1100 Bath.

And not verget. You can collect the egg for about 10 days.

Not make the mistake and buy the incubator to small. 150 egg. This will be a good size. Not so small and not to big.

A incubator with 50 egg is to small. In the Macro there have a Foambox for about 200 Bath. In this Box is space for about 50 egg. If you make a incubator by your self for about 50 egg its will cost you about 1100 Bath.

And not verget. You can collect the egg for about 10 days.

Not make the mistake and buy the incubator to small. 150 egg. This will be a good size. Not so small and not to big.

Well... I would love to make it by myself but I have no idea how to do :)

Ok... I will try to find one for 150 eggs... don't know if I will success but I will try.

Guys I have a question.

Anyone know what can happen to this hen ?

3 days already she is like that - very sad like, not walking/running, moving slowly and looks like sleep all the time.

And looks like she is not even interested in food :/

I'm very worry about her...

post-175342-0-86855400-1449988439_thumb.

post-175342-0-80201600-1449988452_thumb.

Guys I have a question.

3 days already she is like that - very sad like, not walking/running, moving slowly and looks like sleep all the time.

My opinion is the chicken got bitten by moskitos at the night. So she can sleep at the night and is now lazy at the daytime to looking for food. And after 3 days she is weak.

Kill her because she will not recover.

Or from newcastel. But newcastel go faster and after 3 days she will be dead already.

I think is come from moskito.

And here the link for a incubator

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870657-egg-incubators/

This guy make ready to use incubator or you can order the part sperate to build by your self. A simple one cost around 1100 bath if you make by your self.

Thanks for advice... I will try to put her separate with water and food... maybe she will eat something and will gain some power... don't really kill my chickens and doing this only when I have no other choice... I'm glad that it is not Newcastle smile.png

And here is how I make mini-coop for 10 days old chicks inside my general coop... So far 26 chicks in there... Hope it's ok smile.png

post-175342-0-09465900-1450062939_thumb.

Guys I have a question.

Or from newcastel. But newcastel go faster and after 3 days she will be dead already.

I think is come from moskito.

Ok... now I can confirm that I have Newcastle in my flock :( Yesterday one chicken died and today two...

I'm completely devastated... I don't know what to as from what I read in internet there is no treatment for this...

And this kills beards really quick... I try to separate from rest of the flock all sad like chickens which don't move, stays alone etc but I'm not sure if this gonna help :(

This newcastle can come from wild bird's.If there eat from the some cup as your chicken and make the poo inside the cup or tray.And after the chicken eat the poo from the birds.

Possible or not?

If there stay alone and dont like to move maybe its come from moskito.

2 years ago. When we moved new on our place. I keep the chicken outside and feed them also outside. And from one day to another day 20 died.

Maybe some member have more experiance but newcastle go fast and this with the moskito takes a couple of days.

This newcastle can come from wild bird's.If there eat from the some cup as your chicken and make the poo inside the cup or tray.And after the chicken eat the poo from the birds.

Possible or not?

If there stay alone and dont like to move maybe its come from moskito.

2 years ago. When we moved new on our place. I keep the chicken outside and feed them also outside. And from one day to another day 20 died.

Maybe some member have more experiance but newcastle go fast and this with the moskito takes a couple of days.

Well... I'm 99% sure it's Newcastle... birds are very sad like, don't wanna to move, eggs very soft or with out shell at all (1 case), paralysis of legs (difficulty with keeps balance) and those birds which died, difficulty with breathing and white phlegm from beak just before death... I moved out from coop all birds which I suspected and cleaned water bowls and feeders... So far no new bird shows any symptoms thanks God... maybe I will pay cheap price :/

And what you think. How the chicken got it?

No idea man...

I have chickens from 3 sources... 50 RIR from my neighbour (thanks God they are ok) but he says they were vaccinated, 80 Warrens from Dokham Thai (crazy chicken but seems like they are immune) and 100 Warrens taken from chicken farm from cages (all cases were those one).

Today so far no cases (only one chicken separated just in case as she looks suspicious).

Btw guys what kind of chicken are those (they looks different than other Warrens and are lying dark brown eggs - I have 10 of them or so).

post-175342-0-72874200-1450186822_thumb.

post-175342-0-44546000-1450186867_thumb.

Edited by Kularion

Hello everyone,

Kularion, your housing is really nice. If you don't mind I will copy your concept [emoji6] [emoji41]

Still I have some questions. The lower wall you made from sheet metal. How about using the thin brickstones?

Gf, she's afraid of snakes coming in.

The roof construction you used wood poles, is there any concern about termites or no problem at all?

Where and how do you collect the eggs? You're using a nest or basket?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Kularion, your housing is really nice. If you don't mind I will copy your concept [emoji6] [emoji41]

Still I have some questions. The lower wall you made from sheet metal. How about using the thin brickstones?

The roof construction you used wood poles, is there any concern about termites or no problem at all?

Thanks!

You can use brickstones... for sure is better (Y)

12 main pillars are made out of concrete but the rest is very hard wood (forgot name in thai but something like our oak) which of course termites will try to eat but this will take them long time and not really easy smile.png

I've made nests in the baskets around 50 cm above the ground (look pict)... collecting eggs 2-3 times per day.

post-175342-0-50646800-1450361654_thumb.

post-175342-0-98450600-1450361724_thumb.

Edited by Kularion

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

You can use brickstones... for sure is better (Y)

12 main pillars are made out of concrete but the rest is very hard wood (forgot name in thai but something like our oak) which of course termites will try to eat but this will take them long time and not really easy smile.png

I've made nests in the baskets around 50 cm above the ground (look pict)... collecting eggs 2-3 times per day.

Great, thanks for the information!

Today lazy afternoon on my farm smile.png

Few days no signs of weak or sick chicken... so I assume I just panicked with this whole Newcastle Disease after 3 birds died biggrin.png

26 young (3 weeks old) chicks in the same coop with rest of the flock seems to doing just fine and 27 more are still with their mothers smile.png

I will replace some of the Warrens chickens with them... at last biggrin.png

post-175342-0-27983700-1450451744_thumb.

post-175342-0-09465500-1450451772_thumb.

post-175342-0-20239300-1450451801_thumb.

post-175342-0-89157600-1450451838_thumb.

post-175342-0-13269200-1450451873_thumb.

Hi guys.

What kind of chicken can be this on pictures ? Very dark compare to the rest RIR which are dark-brown-red ish smile.png Those ones from the beginning were very dark and now they have fancy pattern on their feathers... I have 3 of them and to be honest I like it biggrin.png

post-175342-0-15194600-1450493867_thumb.

post-175342-0-28108300-1450493877_thumb.

post-175342-0-29938900-1450493888_thumb.

post-175342-0-79163000-1450493899_thumb.

post-175342-0-08402200-1450493914_thumb.

post-175342-0-16005600-1450493934_thumb.

post-175342-0-74531200-1450493944_thumb.

post-175342-0-51343700-1450493955_thumb.

Edited by Kularion