Turkey Meat in Chiang Mai

Mekong Bob

Looking for Turkeys and you make a post on, of all places, the Thai Visa forum........ is there a hidden message there???

On a more serious note..... we usually buy ours at Makro or from the restaurant supplier Horeca.

I almost always buy Butterball, as there is really a difference.

Only once did I try a Thai turkey...... never again...... not even sure it was a turkey

Hope this is some help

G

• Like 1

Sawasdee Khrup,

Back in the day, when I had the tongue to taste, and the throat to swallow, I used to buy frozen turkeys from the Northern Farm Products shop out on Huay Kaew near the Chiang Mai Hills Hotel, later from Kasem in Kad Luang (Talat Wararot). I believe these were special orders, around holiday times, but I am absolutely clear on that. I don't know if Northern Farm are still there, in business, or not.

Oh, tender turkey dark-meat drenched in gravy, mixed with my own special corn-meal stuffing crammed with garlic, sliced water-chestnut, cardamom, saffron, and eaten with whole-berry cranberries mixed with orange zest ... in my dreams.

~o:37;

I've found they don't consistenly stock turkeys at Rim Ping and Macro outside the fall/winter holidays. Most of the time you can find one, but you can't always count on it except from October-January.

I'd really love to find someone selling turkey legs. Butterball produces a turkey leg just like they do a turkey breast. Seems the breast make it to Thailand, but not the legs. Bummer! Our oven is too small to accomodate an entire turkey and we like dark meat the best.

During the Thanksgiving-New Years period we gorge on turkey, delivered to our door already cooked. I cut them up and freeze the meat and bones. In fact, I "beg the bones" from friends who also have whole turkeys delivered. Love to make turkey broth with the bones -- cooking rice in turkey broth really kicks up the flavor and it works well with both pork and chicken meat.

Just used the last of the bones in our freezer. Sob -- no more turkey bones until October.

I'd really love to find someone selling turkey legs. Butterball produces a turkey leg just like they do a turkey breast. Seems the breast make it to Thailand, but not the legs. Bummer! Our oven is too small to accomodate an entire turkey and we like dark meat the best.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NancyL,

Oh yes, how I wish I could buy the thigh/drumstick cut I used to get back in the U.S., so much less expensive than the breast.

I would sever the thigh from the drumstick, and place both on top of a ceramic bowl in a pressure-cooker with water around it, so it was steamed, then cook it at high pressure, then open it, and add butter, african coarse black pepper, then put frozen lima-beans, and frozen corn, all around it, and steam it more. The meat would be flaking off the bones: sandwiches, soups ... from the frozen meat ... for days.

The result reminded me of the southern-style succotash I used to have at family reunions down in Georgia when I was a larval human, BCE (before cholesterol era).

I wonder if pressure-cookers are now a "controlled substance" ?

Thanks for the memories smile.png

Edited by orang37

I've found they don't consistenly stock turkeys at Rim Ping and Macro outside the fall/winter holidays. Most of the time you can find one, but you can't always count on it except from October-January.

During the Thanksgiving-New Years period we gorge on turkey, delivered to our door already cooked. I cut them up and freeze the meat and bones. In fact, I "beg the bones" from friends who also have whole turkeys delivered. Love to make turkey broth with the bones -- cooking rice in turkey broth really kicks up the flavor and it works well with both pork and chicken meat.

Just used the last of the bones in our freezer. Sob -- no more turkey bones until October.

You buy the turkey for me Nancy and I will see it gets cooked and you can have all the bones even the dark meat.biggrin.png

Hope you don't mind feeble attempt at comedy. But I think you will find most expat males in Thailand are breast men as opposed to leg men.

I'd offer to share a turkey with you--as I only like the white meat. When I purchase one, the dog ususally gets the dark meat and scraps.

• Like 1

Horror -- giving the dark meat and the "scraps" (which I presume means the bones) to the dog. Lucky dog! Yes, please contact me next time you're cooking a turkey, Shepsel. I'll gladly purchase them at a fair price.

Hellodolly -- Rim Ping usually charges 300 baht to cook a turkey and they deliver for free! Somehow I think all the white meat on a turkey is worth much more than that!

Orang37 -- oh, now you've really got me taking a trip down food memory lane -- frozen lima beans -- there's something I haven't seen in Thailand. Can't even find canned ones. The best I can do is to ask friends to bring canned lima beans from the U.S. PX stores in the region. It's just not the same as frozen lima beans.

Edited by NancyL

Reading through your post it just proves to me what I have long suspected.

In Chiang Mai , there are a lot more Boob men than there are Leg men

Oh I got it I think Im a boob man but buttetball breast are brined they are as juicy as dark meat.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ARISTIDE

I'd really love to find someone selling turkey legs.  Butterball produces a turkey leg just like they do a turkey breast.  Seems the breast make it to Thailand, but not the legs.  Bummer!  Our oven is too small to accomodate an entire turkey and we like dark meat the best.

The result reminded me of the southern-style succotash I used to have at family reunions down in Georgia when I was a larval human, BCE (before cholesterol era).

I wonder if pressure-cookers are now a "controlled substance" ?

Thanks for the memories Posted Image

I ve made succotash using the froozen broad bean from Kasem store I think and with Japanese beans and sweet corn very nice

Reading through your post it just proves to me what I have long suspected.

In Chiang Mai , there are a lot more Boob men than there are Leg men

Oh I got it I think Im a boob man but buttetball breast are brined they are as juicy as dark meat.

WHAT ! ! ! Butterball Both Breasts Brined...... Blimey...Better Be Brit BS

wai.gif

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Yeah, the Japanese edeme beans are a close sub for lima beans -- but not quite right. Fortunately, they're available frozen here, already shelled, so it's easy to mix them with frozen corn to make nearly-succotash. Now if I could just find some turkey this time of year!

Edited by NancyL

About canned lima beans--tender baby beans, no less, Nancy, Rim Ping stores have them right there alongside the other canned vegetables. It's a French product, and quite expensive at something around 110 baht a can. But some times you just gotta pay for good eating.

Yeah, the Japanese edeme beans are a close sub for lima beans -- but not quite right. Fortunately, they're available frozen here, already shelled, so it's easy to mix them with frozen corn to make nearly-succotash. Now if I could just find some turkey this time of year!

You would then have what Silvester likes to refer to as suffering succotash

I was getting fresh lima beans at the Friday Burmese market in the night bazaar. I haven't been there in a while so I don't know if it's a seasonal thing or they are available all year round. Usually, you can even find them shelled.

About canned lima beans--tender baby beans, no less, Nancy, Rim Ping stores have them right there alongside the other canned vegetables. It's a French product, and quite expensive at something around 110 baht a can. But some times you just gotta pay for good eating.

Which Rim Ping? They have different items at different stores.

Re: is there a turkey farm in Thailand? There is - or was... I remember reading a story about 2 years ago - perhaps on TV? about a farang who had a large turkey farm here in Thailand. Same old story, Thai wife divorced him and kicked him and the turkeys off of his (her) land. I seem to recall he was looking for someone to take to take him and the turkeys as he was flat broke. Being that Thais don't like eating turkeys I doubt he got much help. Who knows the fate of the poor turkeys.

Ah here is the story http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2011/08/farmer-joe-loses-water-tight-30-year.html