Chang Beer Girls

gerrythepoet

This thread is just too bizarre, why would you offer crisps to a promotion's girl?

The act of taking the crisp bag to put in the trash does only one thing which is saves face for the OP who clearly hasn't got a clue about correct social interaction, in a more direct society she would have told you where to insert the bag for insulting her.

If you chose not to tip in cash (in most situations unless a service has been provided why would you?) a polite comment about their appearance having brighten your day is enough.

Bussing tables is generally something that one does when starting out (many of us have) rather than later in life, although maybe the OP seeks to follow Langston Hughes example!

I would guess the OP is taken aback at the general reaction in this thread as well, surprised that crisps are not seen as a prized gift nor that acting as waitresses is outside the scope of promotions staff, they are there to sell not clean.

On the whole I think this says more about the OP's understanding generally than it does about any Thai. (Is the OP an English teacher by any chance?)

• Like 1

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

93% of communication is non-verbal.

You seem to have been under the mistaken impression that it was part of their job to bus the tables, while of course they would perceive that as a tremendous insult, their job is to look pretty and encourage beer sales full stop.

Your buying them a packet of crisps under those conditions may have been perceived also as an insult, since if they're going to be tipped it should be in cash. Your gesture could be interpreted as if they could not afford to buy their own, many of these girls do very well indeed, making more than most English teachers.

Plus this is very fattening food, which they can't afford to gain.

Your analogy is absolutely right on - it was an Insult.......especially when he gave it to them and smiled - he should learn the culture before being "amazed she threw them away"wai2.gif

Ladies such as these superstars are so special they don't even have bowel movements, far to disgusting for the likes of them. like us all they come into the world with nothing and will get into their 30's with nothing.

So let them enjoy their moments of glory! Play it up for them, smile, tell them how beautiful they are... order a chang! Tell them 'its awesome' give them a BIG generous tip, tell them you have no GF no wife biggrin.png enjoy life! biggrin.png

The worst imaginable approach to a any beautiful girl is to say "you are beautiful." It's about as

exciting to her as saying "water is wet."

She already knows that. It's a very boring subject. In most cases she will mentally tune you out

in about 0.2 nanoseconds because she has heard it 86,000 times before.

You'd probably get her attention a lot quicker with a mild joking insult. She never hears that.

Really!

It always worked very well for me.

When I tell em they're beautiful, they usually ask which exact parts I find particularly attractive.

First step in negotiations IMHO.

I've never found that Thai girls get bored with a bit of flattery.

Yes but there's a fine line between complimentary and lechery, women are wonderful at picking up on the second point. Hence where the body language comes back into play.

To be fair to the OP, I have seen plenty of sour faced promotion girls, but on the whole they will respond to a bit of genuine social interaction.

Really!

When I tell em they're beautiful, they usually ask which exact parts I find particularly attractive.

Yes but there's a fine line between complimentary and lechery, women are wonderful at picking up on the second point. Hence where the body language comes back into play.

To be fair to the OP, I have seen plenty of sour faced promotion girls, but on the whole they will respond to a bit of genuine social interaction.

-

I find it more depends on their reaction to the pitcher rather than the style with which he throws. First impressions call it instinct, intuition chemistry whatever are most important.

If she likes the cut of your jib the most obvious lecherous leer might just make her light up like a Christmas tree, but if the sight of you makes her spew the suavest approach routine in the book isn't going to make a difference.

I think subtleties like manners, gift of the gab and stylish moves only make a difference in a pretty narrow range of middle ground.

And of course we're assuming here that explicit money motivation isn't overriding the other factors for the moment.

• Like 1

Sorry, the OP sounds like a right weirdo.

Leave the girls along, they don't like elderly foreigners trying to grope/help them.

Interacting with beer girls, buy their beer, let them order whatever food they like at your expense.

About 6 plates of assorted food at your table is a good start. Learn to bait your hook properly.

You see I look at that differently. These girls are an annoyance to me and they are just looking for something that will feed their ego.

These girls redefine self-centered. They are insulted at the slightest misconception and are absolute prima donnas. I have yet to see one that can walk up and truly be friendly even though they are attempting to promote something.

oh how we differ. i cannot be bothered to look down on someone trying to earn a crust.

Edited by joeaverage

Ladies such as these superstars are so special they don't even have bowel movements, far to disgusting for the likes of them. like us all they come into the world with nothing and will get into their 30's with nothing.

So let them enjoy their moments of glory! Play it up for them, smile, tell them how beautiful they are... order a chang! Tell them 'its awesome' give them a BIG generous tip, tell them you have no GF no wife biggrin.png enjoy life! biggrin.png

The worst imaginable approach to a any beautiful girl is to say "you are beautiful." It's about as

She already knows that. It's a very boring subject. In most cases she will mentally tune you out

You'd probably get her attention a lot quicker with a mild joking insult. She never hears that.

Really!

I agree,every Thai girl I've ever complemented has usually given me a huge smile and a Wai to say thankyou.I think Thai girls handle compliments very well compared to Western girls,I don't think I've ever seen one get bored of them!wai.gif

• Like 1

I have a professor friend who researched the murky world of beer girls in Cambodia. Apparently, the pay is so low there that a lot of them are 'compelled' to pad up their income with prostitution. A lot of them were contracting AIDS because they did not practice safe sex. As a result, he contracted social workers to provide sex ed classes for them and he tried to pressure/shame the beer companies into increasing their pay. [One interesting thing was that some of the 'small label' beer companies' HQs were hard to track down]. I wonder how similarly things play out in Thailand. Might be something that farangs don't get clear sight of...

More info on his efforts can be found here: http://www.beergirls.org/

I have a professor friend who researched the murky world of beer girls in Cambodia. Apparently, the pay is so low there that a lot of them are 'compelled' to pad up their income with prostitution. A lot of them were contracting AIDS because they did not practice safe sex. As a result, he contracted social workers to provide sex ed classes for them and he tried to pressure/shame the beer companies into increasing their pay. [One interesting thing was that some of the 'small label' beer companies' HQs were hard to track down]. I wonder how similarly things play out in Thailand. Might be something that farangs don't get clear sight of...

-

Used to be more this way as posted earlier, not any more.

As Thailand continues to develop the day will come when the sex industry here is similar to what we have back home.

Hopefully the more enlightened at least semi-legalized models rather than the other way.

Really!

Yes, you have a point, but flattery is defined as the act of praising excessively, to rate a person above their actual level.

Telling a beautiful girl she is beautiful is not flattery, it is instant boredom.

Yes we're seeing the same frustrated-spoiled-child reaction in the comments too.

News flash guys - we farang aren't the pinnacle of desirability among all the ladies of Thailand.

Those that are of the type Thais and other Asians consider gorgeous will usually not even consider being overtly friendly with us in public because the Thais watching might think they are as low as the skanky upcountry peasant girls usually associated with us.

And that's not even taking the sex-worker stigma into account - the beer girls already are a bit touched by that historically so many will be doubly-vigilant to ONLY be professional with farang, in fact possibly even ice-queen style forced smiles.

There are exceptions of course, in a context where they can be sure a given well-dressed polite (in their lights) farang is a true international executive businessman type or other assured high-status "catch", but run-of-the-mill situations the desirable girls know that 99% of the time they can do much better than the average westerner without all the social stigma.

Bottom line - at the high end - tall white-skinned Thai-standard beauty-queen - even the most young and attractive of us have a hard time competing with the wealthy Thais, and in many cases Japanese Korean Chinese.

Never mind the usual fat old leering guy dressed for a tip-picking session.

Guess I oughta' start wearing a suit, and maybe even ... spats might just do the trick, eh rolleyes.gif

The two Chang beer girls stood while the owner was about to clear a table when he had to serve some customers that had walked into his shop and were buying bottles to take away, the gilrs just stood there and did not contemplate to clean the table as the cloth was sitting on the table. I watched and thought its got to get done so I went over cleaned the table and after wringing the cloth called out to the owner to catch the cloth. He smiled, caught it and I went over to my table. The four chairs around the table just needed to be put under the tables, a few seconds of a job but the girls just stood there, I went back put the chairs underneath so any other customers coming would be able to sit at the empty table. Well the girls were extremely pretty but so hollow in the brain

Guess whose brain was more hollow? Did you find employment there? Haven't read such nonsense in a few years

"Farlang bababoboo, or Pee Baa"?.--w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Did your "professor friend" use a condom, while doing his research?

• Like 2

It's unbelievable that people can write such nonsense. Don't you know anything about Thailand? Why do you come here if you cannot understand the culture at all?

I'm just looking at what you wrote and am thinking, here is a cultural ignoramus:

"so I went over cleaned the table and after wringing the cloth called out to the owner to catch the cloth"...

It's unbelievable that people can write such nonsense. Don't you know anything about Thailand? Why do you come here if you cannot understand the culture at all?

I'm just looking at what you wrote and am thinking, here is a cultural ignoramus:

Don't you know anything about Thailand? - The OP would indicate that he has more to learn ... but then again who knows it all?

Why do you come here if you cannot understand the culture at all? - Maybe he's learning the subtle Cultural nuances by coming here and adding to that by the responses here on the Forum.

here is a cultural ignoramus: - Ouch ... but an element of truth if the OP doesn't learn and continues to insist that it should be like ... because it's not like this at home.

• Like 2

Really!

I agree,every Thai girl I've ever complemented has usually given me a huge smile and a Wai to say thankyou.I think Thai girls handle compliments very well compared to Western girls,I don't think I've ever seen one get bored of them!wai.gif

i would say both are right, compliments are always welcome -- if correctly delivered. creepy is creepy the words dont matter.

however a teasing insult works too. tell a beautiful girl you think her moustache is sexy -- do it right and you may get to feel it up close.

however a teasing insult works too. tell a beautiful girl you think her moustache is sexy -- do it right and you may get to feel it up close.

-

Not an insult, Thais consider a feminine mustache to be a plus for attractiveness, particularly sexy. . .

chang-beer-girls-thailande.jpg

sorted

With the thought of just wanting to see the prettys again ... should I be required to buy any 3 lassies a packet of crisps ...

Counting from left to right ... #2, 6 and 8 ... all I hope is that none chosen have big hands ... I'm not very good at that ... goof.gif

Sorry ... I think I have lowered the tone of this discussion.

• Like 2

Sounds as though you had some inaccurate pre-concieved notions about what the girls "should" have done. They don't work for the bar and are not obligated to clean up. The fact that "you" chose to clean up could have looked like a rebuke to the girls ... esp. if done with attitude.

I've never considered anything even resembling a moustache (ewww ..) attractive. but I accept that the rest of the world wasn't modelled on my own undeniable perfection. ;)

(Euro backpackers with hairy legs - regardless of how attractive they might be from the thighs up - freak me out. I dont have a problem with natural pubic regions, but anything below that needs to be mown on a regular basis IMO)

The two Chang beer girls stood while the owner was about to clear a table when he had to serve some customers that had walked into his shop and were buying bottles to take away, the gilrs just stood there and did not contemplate to clean the table as the cloth was sitting on the table. I watched and thought its got to get done so I went over cleaned the table and after wringing the cloth called out to the owner to catch the cloth. He smiled, caught it and I went over to my table. The four chairs around the table just needed to be put under the tables, a few seconds of a job but the girls just stood there, I went back put the chairs underneath so any other customers coming would be able to sit at the empty table

He smiled, caught it and I went over to my table...... hope you've got a work permit for doing so.

Thailand's different.burp.gifcrazy.gif sorry.gif

Never heard of a 'table cloth fetish' before At least NOBODY had lost face.=.saai.gif.

Edited by sirchai

Two further thoughts about the "crisps" factor.

I have this image in my mind......

post-31633-0-87854100-1371601599_thumb.j

...I'm sure the OP is not like this at all in real life.

Would "Lays" consider employing some "Pretties" to visit bars and encourage the purchase of their chips?

They could be called "Pretty Lays", I'm sure that would be popular.

• Like 2

I've never considered anything even resembling a moustache (ewww ..) attractive. but I accept that the rest of the world wasn't modelled on my own undeniable perfection. wink.png

(Euro backpackers with hairy legs - regardless of how attractive they might be from the thighs up - freak me out. I dont have a problem with natural pubic regions, but anything below that needs to be mown on a regular basis IMO)

-

Then these would be effective at keeping you away?

I've never considered anything even resembling a moustache (ewww ..) attractive. but I accept that the rest of the world wasn't modelled on my own undeniable perfection. wink.png

-

... facepalm.gif

That's just plain wrong!

(funny but)

• Like 1

Tell her she has sexy feet. That always gets their attention. In all likelyhood she has never heard that before and it will have her stumped on how to react.

I was out with some friends one night,they all drank Leo I was on Chang.

The sweet Chang girls kept my glass full and the bottles coming.

My friends were quite pi@@sed off due to having to wait for the normal slack waitress to tend to them.

Got great respect for the girls in tight green uniforms

-

... facepalm.gif

That's just plain wrong!

(funny but)

-

Not so funny that there are places where such an invention would be necessary. . .