Long Overstay

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've known several people who have done this at the CM airport -- boarding the late-night Korean Air flight that goes straight to Seoul. In every case, they had on-ward tickets to their home countries from Seoul. They didn't have problems leaving, but perhaps the Immigration officers were happy to see them leaving the region. In every case they were either elderly and/or in a wheelchair, so it is unlikely they'll return to Thailand. Perhaps Immigration just didn't want to detain someone who looked like he might not survive ICD.

But, that doesn't mean it will be this way with every case, Also, as mentioned, the OP is in for real problems if he attracts the attention of law enforcement before he gets to the airport.

Currently there is an Australian character enjoying the IDC in BKK

He overstayed excessively and eventually borrowed money for a ticket +20,000.

The 20,000 was not accepted by the IO at the airport.

His benefactors are not going to stump up for another ticket.

So unfortunately, despite what some may believe, "escape" via the 20,000 route does not always work.

Edited by jrtmedic

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time comes to mind. You obviously knew what you were doing was wrong so just deal with it. Maybe you will be lucky with the 20k, maybe not. Either way som nam na

Currently there is an Australian character enjoying the IDC in BKK

He overstayed excessively and eventually borrowed money for a ticket +20,000.

The 20,000 was not accepted by the IO at the airport.

There is something more to this story than what you have told. If the circumstances were exactly as you say, the money would have been accepted.

You may be right.

All I know is that he is in the BKK IDC which would seem to rule out other reasons for detention.

The normal procedure is to allow exit upon payment if there are no outstanding warrants. For a short period last year they were returning long overstays until this could be checked next day so that might account for missing a flight and having no funds (which could put one in IDC). I have not heard of this happening recently but would make sure I was making an exit during a workday so police could make a check if required and I would arrive early for boarding/check-in. Although a risk getting legal I suspect is well worth it.

There is a real possibility that the Immigration Officer(s) at the airport will not be amused or forgiving.

The OP should be prepared for the possibility of arrest/detention/court appearance/deportation.

This is scaremongering pay the 20000baht and get on the plane

agreed, this is the attitude of someone who has done everything by the book all their life more out of fear than any moral imperative.

either that or there are extenuating circumstances

Edited by Rimmer

The normal procedure is to allow exit upon payment if there are no outstanding warrants. For a short period last year they were returning long overstays until this could be checked next day so that might account for missing a flight and having no funds (which could put one in IDC). I have not heard of this happening recently but would make sure I was making an exit during a workday so police could make a check if required and I would arrive early for boarding/check-in. Although a risk getting legal I suspect is well worth it.

That being the case, would it be better to make the exit at a land crossing where one isn't subject to flight schedules and the horrendous penalties the airlines impose for missing a flight? My guess is that's what happened to the poor guy that jrtmedic refers to- got delayed at Immigration, missed his flight and didn't have the resources to buy another $$$$ ticket on the spot.

I'm not suggesting, just asking.

lopburi3

From what I know of the case I described your explanation would seem highly probable.

I believe this man attempted to board a late night flight but was detained and was therefore a no-show as far as the airline was concerned. I am further told he was placed before a court and fined less than 20000 which he paid.

His lack of funds and inability to purchase another ticket may well be the reason for his continued detention.

That being the case, would it be better to make the exit at a land crossing where one isn't subject to flight schedules and the horrendous penalties the airlines impose for missing a flight? My guess is that's what happened to the poor guy that jrtmedic refers to- got delayed at Immigration, missed his flight and didn't have the resources to buy another $$$$ ticket on the spot.

not a great suggestion, as i believe the 20k pay and go is only at the airport, and border crossing you are likely to be detained

• Like 1

I assisted a guy in your position last year, he eventually got help from Thai Visa sponsor Sunbelt Asia. Send then an email and they will make sure all is O.K. for you. Costs about 4,000 baht and they walk you through the whole process.

[email protected]

He could have saved the 4000 Baht and walked through anyway.

I assisted a guy in your position last year, he eventually got help from Thai Visa sponsor Sunbelt Asia. Send then an email and they will make sure all is O.K. for you. Costs about 4,000 baht and they walk you through the whole process.

[email protected]

indeed, tack another 4k on that bill.

"indeed, tack another 4k on that bill."

I just spoke to the guy, it cost him 4,280 baht for the sunbelt service plus 1,000 baht at the airport, total 5,280 baht. The fine of 20,000 baht was, of course, extra.

not a great suggestion, as i believe the 20k pay and go is only at the airport, and border crossing you are likely to be detained

...exactly! You try that "deal" at land borders you'll end up in jail ... or pay far more on bribes if ure superlucky ...!!

Btw, nice pic, average ... how old ...??

I have helped a number of people on long overstays to get into Laos. Each time there was no issue and only the 20k had to be paid. In fact, last time I helped a friend., the little office at the friendship bridge was filled with long term overstayers all waiting to pay their fine. All the officers were all smiles and laughs.

• Like 1

Don't know but everyone was issued official looking receipts. The 20k is the penalty so why would they arrest the people? The only problem you may have is if there is a road block along the way to the border crossing and you get caught then.

[email protected]

indeed, tack another 4k on that bill.

"indeed, tack another 4k on that bill."

I just spoke to the guy, it cost him 4,280 baht for the sunbelt service plus 1,000 baht at the airport, total 5,280 baht. The fine of 20,000 baht was, of course, extra.

i mean the 4000 baht paid to sunbelt is money thrown away, their agents have very little ability to alter the outcome of things. they are simply an indicator that you are a great candidate to pay more.

Edited by joeaverage
  • Like 1

Don't know but everyone was issued official looking receipts. The 20k is the penalty so why would they arrest the people? The only problem you may have is if there is a road block along the way to the border crossing and you get caught then.

the biggest likely consequence is a derogatory remark/stamp in your passport and difficulties re-entering later.

though even that is unusual, but not entirely unlikely

• Like 1