Anyone else get their once-a-year "prove you're still alive" form from U.S. SSA?

NancyL

EMS available at Thai POs. Similar to Fedex, think it might be Chinese, perfect traceable service for me..

It is not Chinese specific but an International system based on the Universal Postal Union (UPU).

The UPU is an inter-governmental organization and the primary forum for cooperation between governments, Posts and other stakeholders of the worldwide postal sector. It works to maintain the universal network, establish the rules for international mail exchanges among its 191 members and improves the quality of service for customers.

The EMS Cooperative was created in 1998 within the framework of the UPU. Its main objective is to promote cooperation between members to allow them to provide customers with a high quality, competitive EMS service worldwide.

Ain't it good to have Tywais around......Good job Tywais.... and all this time I thought it was actually cheap to deliver an EMS sent piece because they deliver it by ambulance with the red lights and siren going...... that way they could get it there really fast.thumbsup.gif

"The Brits have to do something similar, only their form has the omenous title of "Proof of Life" and the signature has to be witnessed by someone responsible. The list of who can witness includes consular employees, of course, but also community leaders like local bank managers or clergy. Just google "Proof of Life form" and you'll see that the annual ritual for the Bits is more onerous than for Americans. Our form doesn't need a witness, unless the form is signed with a mark like a thumbprint".

Never ever had to do this and deposits continue into my UK bank account.

Maybe the British government office in Mumbai or Kolkata, has lost me in their system.

I was told by the Manila office, that if there is no response from you on the first form sent, they send another. If there is no response on the second one sent, they will stop payment.

that is 100% correct

I have the form in front of me and it states that if the form is not returned within 60 days they 'may' stop payment.

The form is a little more substantial than 'just to check if you're alive'. It asks if any changes in residence, marital status, or employment. Also a question about change in status of eligible child. Seems fair to me.

"The Brits have to do something similar, only their form has the omenous title of "Proof of Life" and the signature has to be witnessed by someone responsible. The list of who can witness includes consular employees, of course, but also community leaders like local bank managers or clergy. Just google "Proof of Life form" and you'll see that the annual ritual for the Bits is more onerous than for Americans. Our form doesn't need a witness, unless the form is signed with a mark like a thumbprint".

Maybe the British government office in Mumbai or Kolkata, has lost me in their system.

I believe the Brits don't send this form to recipients who are below a certain age. Also, perhaps they may not send it to people who maintain a UK mailing address and show up often enough in the U.K. to create the impression they still live there. I know the Americans don't use this form for people with U.S. mailing address who haven't reported to SSA they're living abroad.

I believe the Brits don't send this form to recipients who are below a certain age. Also, perhaps they may not send it to people who maintain a UK mailing address and show up often enough in the U.K. to create the impression they still live there. I know the Americans don't use this form for people with U.S. mailing address who haven't reported to SSA they're living abroad.

They know exactly where I live.

Don't know about the age thing, all I know is I've never received the form.

Perhaps you need to be over 70 -75 or something?

Maybe I call them enough and need to answer their security questions first, so they just mark me down as 'still breathing'.

Edited by uptheos

• 11 months later...

Received my form at my POBox a couple days ago, now to send it in to "prove" I'm still alive.

Seems to me 10 years ago or so there was a requirement that some people had to actually go to the U.S. Consulate in person to make the proof. This happened to one older friend in Korat. Haven't heard that this requirement has been repeated.

Mac

EMS is secure but proved expensive for heavier envelopes to the Revenue Department.

Try 'registered airmail' which is just as secure for not much more than regular airmail costs: it's a little slower as the post has to be checked at intervals throughout its trip. Works well.

• 1 year later...

whistling.gif Old topic..... but just received my 2015 form here at my current Thai address with international mail stamped 17 June 2015 on front of envelope.

Apparently sent from Wilkes Barrie, Pennsylvania 18767-7162

And inside form is dated from 2 June 2015

Needs to be returned within 60 days from that date.

Note: U.S. retiree living in Bangkok and receiving benefits by direct deposit to Bangkok Bank account monthly.

They even sent a pre-addressed return envelope, but no stamp, so that means I have to cough up the postage..... but what the heck.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thanks for answering my question, Nancy. I have never seen this form in six years of receiving SSA benefits. Guess it's because I have them deposit the monthly payment into my US credit union, and maintain my US address.?

I must remember to include President Franklin D. Roosevelt in my nightly prayers...

"A crippled man, who took a crippled country, and taught it how to walk again."

There's none like him today, alas.

Hubby's just showed up today. Since he was in Thailand when he started his SS benefits, they have the Thai address on file, even though the monthly deposit goes into a U.S. bank account (easier to access with on-line banking.)

Civil Servants are urging British Expats claiming the State Pension not to ignore proof of life forms because they are likely to lose their pensions if they do not deal with them.

The life certificates are issued to expats in countries which the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) consider have a high fraud risk or where the local authorities do not share bereavement information with the UK.

The DWP has sent the forms out since 2013.

They have a nine-month deadline, and if the original form and a reminder are ignored, the DWP will stop paying the state pension as an anti-fraud measure.

The form-filling is aimed at stopping friends and relatives of a dead expat from continuing to claim their state pension.

The expat receiving the state pension must sign the form and get it witnessed by a neighbour or professional in the country where they are living.

Fraud measure

If the form is late or not completed correctly, its likely pension payments will stop.

We will assume a pensioner is DEAD even if they Telephone or Email us, because we cannot prove that the right person is at the other end of the line or sending the message, said a DWP spokesman.

The only Proof of Life we will accept if the Certificate.

This is taxpayer money and we will do whatever we can to make sure it is not paid to fraudsters.

Who receives the form often depends on where they live the DWP explained that the Spanish Government automatically tells them about expat deaths, but the French Government does not.

As a result, expats in France receive the form, but those in Spain do not.

The DWP has comprehensive information about dealing with life certificates online.

Unfair system

The list of people who can sign a life certificate is the same as that for signing a photograph for a passport application, so excludes relatives.

Full details about who can sign are also online

Many Expats are likely to be asked to complete a life certificate in the run-up to the Introduction of the Flat Rate state pension in April 2016.

Around 5 Million British Expats are estimated to be living abroad, according to the Office of National Statistics (ONS).

Many complain that the state pension system is unfair because their payments are not index-linked, but others receive significant monthly payments that are cut off if they do not complete a request for a life certificate.....So...Now we Know...

Edited by Rinrada

I find the whole thing bizarre. They cheated me out of a lot of money ($300) a month and I get so little from them that they don't even bother to tell me what I can expect next year. Yet every month they pay me. I was going to say like clockwork but this month they switched from the third Wednesday to the first one of the month. Not sure what that is all about. Will have to see if it holds true next month.

The previous post was directed to citizens of the U.K. -- not the United States. The U.S. form is called a "Report to the United States Social Security Administration" Form SSA-7162. It doesn't have the ominous name "Proof of Life" and unlike the U.K. form, if the U.S. citizen is capable of signing their own name, they don't have the burden of having to find a suitable witness.

Frankly, the U.K. system puts an undue burden on some of it's most vulnerable citizens by requiring them to find a suitable witness. For example, Chiang Mai Immigration will no longer sign "Proof of Life" forms. Many bank managers will not either. Also, I have known British citizens and their Thai families to be very upset by the title of the form, "Proof of Life". This can be a disturbing form to receive when you're frail and elderly, especially from a government that has frozen your pension for years.

I'm not objecting to the need for an annual "check-in" to continue to receive a pension, but it shouldn't be done in such a way that creates a burden.

Edited by NancyL