Att: Americans on Social Security.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I get the first notice this year. Got 2nd notice almost to late last year and had to send it by EMS that cost me 600 baht verses 90 baht for first class mail which was not the first time it had happened.

Trying a new address this year to see if I get better delivery.

I believe the benefits stop in March of the next year.

When you say just went out..... Do you mean mailed from the States?

I received my noticed by post yesterday in Thailand which means it was mailed from the states about 7 days ago.

Edited by khwaibah

The statement on the form says: "IMPORTANT: Failure to complete and return this form within 60 days will result in suspension of benefits." It doesn't state 'when' the benefits will stop. We can only guess, unless you have some information more specific that you can share.

As to 'when' they were mailed, or from where, I have no idea. I only know that I received mine yesterday, and none of my American friends have received theirs as yet. I 'assume' they were just mailed recently.

The statement on the form says: "IMPORTANT: Failure to complete and return this form within 60 days will result in suspension of benefits." It doesn't state 'when' the benefits will stop. We can only guess, unless you have some information more specific that you can share.

As to 'when' they were mailed, or from where, I have no idea. I only know that I received mine yesterday, and none of my American friends have received theirs as yet. I 'assume' they were just mailed recently.

This is the response I received from the SS representative office in Manila last year:

The report will go directly to Baltimore. Unfortunately, we have no way of tracking down your document. However, in the event that Baltimore did not receive your document, they will send another form in September and another one in November. It is only in February 2016, when they have not receive anything that your benefits will be suspended.

Regards,

I believe the response 60 days starts as of the date of the form received. I am not going to look through my records to get copies, but I went through that a few years ago after receiving the form after the 60 days from the form date had already passed.

Edited by hml367

Manila also told me February when I contacted them last year when the first one had not shown up within about 2 months.

Interesting they told you that their would be a 3rd one. I was under the impression that there would only be 2 sent. The letter sent with the 2nd notice certainly seems to make it clear it is your last chance.

whistling.gif I told this story before but I was mailed 3 of those forms to an incorrect Thai mailing address in 2012.

Problem turned out to be the software they used in the Social Security office that would not recognize my Thai address that began with a numeric address that contained a / character in the address. So the software the Social Security used changed the / character to a number 1.

The Thai post office could not find my house, so I never received three notices.

Had to take a trip back to the U.S. to resolve the problem.

I am now receiving notices from the Social Security at my new Thai address correctly, so hopefully problem all resolved now.

Has anyone ever mailed in one of your own? I copied my blank one from last year. Could I just mail it in if mine is lost?

That would not provide much "proof of life", as some people call this routinem, if that is actually one of their purposes.

Has anyone ever mailed in one of your own? I copied my blank one from last year. Could I just mail it in if mine is lost?

That would not provide much "proof of life", as some people call this routinem, if that is actually one of their purposes.

The year that the mail lost mine I emailed it to Manila. There is a phone number on the form if they want to call and check and you have to present a passport to the bank to pick up the money. You rarely get a form if you get your money at a US bank and I imagine that is where most of the fraud is going on.

Wouldn't it be nice if SS allowed us to do what you can do online if living in the US.

---------------------

In April 2014 I requested to open a "My Social Security" on line account with a Thai mailing address.

In response to my questions I was told by a Supervisor that he would "not feel comfortable" allowing me to open an online account with the SSA from a Thai mailing address.

I sent an email query to a SSA comment forum asking if it would ever be possible for a U,S, citizen living overseas to open an on-line SSA account with a Thai mailing address.

The reply I received was that the SSA had "referred that subject to higher authority" and I would be advised.

So far they have made no reply to my email query.

I am not expecting any answer.... as i's been over a year so far.

As I said on other SSA topics, I receive my direct deposits to my Thai bank (Bangkok Bank) account monthly since November 2014.

But so far, I can't do a email account to with SSA to check my account or even change my address if I need to.

-----------------------

I just posted this info another place but I'll repeat it here.

I just received my form here at my Thai mailing address in Bangkok, today 17 June 2015.

My form was dated 2 June 2015

It will be returned by Thai mail within 2 or 3 days.

so yes, they do mail the forms to a Thai address if that is your registered mailing address with the SSA.

Incidentally, the form was mailed from Wilkes Barrie, Pa.

While we're on the subject of US Social Security Administration, has anyone had problems connecting to the SSA website? I have tried both ssa.gov and www.ssa.gov on both Chrome and IE 11 and always get "This webpage is not available." Am I doing something wrong? I;ve had this problem for several years now. But a few years back, I used to connect any time i wanted to.

I received my noticed by post yesterday in Thailand which means it was mailed from the states about 7 days ago.

I received mine yesterday and the notice itself is dated June 2nd (2 weeks ago).

While we're on the subject of US Social Security Administration, has anyone had problems connecting to the SSA website? I have tried both ssa.gov and www.ssa.gov on both Chrome and IE 11 and always get "This webpage is not available." Am I doing something wrong? I;ve had this problem for several years now. But a few years back, I used to connect any time i wanted to.

I have tried to get my congresspersons and senators to fix this problem for more than 10 years. SSA has so far refused to deal directly with any account where the beneficiary lives outside of the U.S. Even the senators could not get it fixed.

Hi folks,

I am on US social security for about two years now.

I was living in Japan when I first applied, and I am still getting monthly payments into my bank account in Japan.

Is there a form that needs to be filled out yearly?

If so, can you give me the number for such form?

Here ya go.

SSA-7162-OCR-SM (7-2011)

You have to log on to the web site during US operating hours or you will get that error message:

post-10942-0-96759400-1434541254_thumb.p

source: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/onlineservices/

Couple of questions on this:

1) I've been having my SS benefits direct deposited into my US bank acct. Will this mean I can do the online proof of life thing?

&

2) Is there an area on the SSA web site I can go to and find out what I have listed as my current address? Looked but didn't see it. I've been using my brother's address in the U.S for income tax, & was wondering if they cross-reference between departments.

rickb I'm having the same problem as you. I called the SSA in the states and after waiting 35 min was told since living in Thailand, I must go through Manila. I sent Manila an email six weeks ago and still have not heard from them. I can get the irs website fine, but not the ssa. Been trying to get the ssa e-newsletter that thought I had already signed up for seven years ago. Have heard other people having problems dealing with Manila. Cannot talk to a real live person there.

Langsuan Man I didn't know had to log on same hrs as US.

whistling.gif I told this story before but I was mailed 3 of those forms to an incorrect Thai mailing address in 2012.

Problem turned out to be the software they used in the Social Security office that would not recognize my Thai address that began with a numeric address that contained a / character in the address. So the software the Social Security used changed the / character to a number 1.

The Thai post office could not find my house, so I never received three notices.

I am now receiving notices from the Social Security at my new Thai address correctly, so hopefully problem all resolved now.

Dang, what a pain bro...

Do you know anyone who actually fills out those required FACTA forms and sends them back to the states?

Big bro has a thumb on everyone...making it more difficult to become invisible when living overseas...

Just mailed my forum back today 84 baht air mail. I have been doing this for 6 years and have had no problem. Did a change of address about 3.5 years back by phone. No problem either.