Fbar? foreign bank account report.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, isn't that special!

Myself, I'll uninstall whatever it takes.

This time I uninstalled two things:

Latest version of IE (it was too new)

A security program running in my browser

Good for you, Jingthing. I surmise from your willingness to uninstall and reinstall programs and your prodigious 42,517 posts that you have: (1) high speed internet connection, and (2) time on your hands. I wish I was you.

Unlike you, I live in ban nok (a small rural village) with NO high speed internet access. We have no phone lines and no 3G. What I do have is EDGE (2G),which is a little faster than dial-up. Based on previous experience I have found satellite internet access to be a little faster, but unreliable, intermittent and expensive. But I have learned to live with it, no complaints.

All of the programs on my computer are fully licensed and I keep them updated. Many update automatically in the background whenever I go online. Take my virus protection program, Bitdefender (very good, I might add). It updates silently and seamlessly in the background every time I go online; my virus definitions are always current. I have the program in a file and can uninstall it and reinstall it quite easily, but for one thing. When I install the bare program, I then have to go online and update all the virus definitions that have come into being since I acquired the bare program, and we are talking some 60-90 mb of downloading for that program alone. It takes two or three hours of my metered internet service and a lot of my time. Ditto for MS Word, Excel, etc., etc. When I feel the need to reformat my hard drive, it is a three or four day affair to get everything reinstalled and updated. If there is a way to grab these automatic updates as they download and store them for future use, I don't know it. If YOU know how to do it, I beseech you, please teach me. I would save a lot of time.

Speaking of which, I also do not have your time. I stay very busy. I'm building a house, which I designed. I did all the plumbing personally, by myself. I designed and personally installed the septic system, complete with a western style drain field. I will do all the electrical work (not there yet). I will personally build all the cabinets and built-ins and trim out the house with wood. I will landscape the whole place, complete with lawn, bushes, trees and flowers. I'm thinking it will take two years or more to complete it ll, but I love the DIY stuff. I dig and haul dirt and gravel. I make compost and take care of a garden. I spray the weeds and prune the trees in the family orchard. I fix everything that breaks. There are not enough hours in the day, which I usually start at 4 a.m.

Now my take on the FBAR is that it is a violation of privacy with which everybody must comply because of a few criminals. Twenty years ago, I actually worried about privacy, but I'm no fool. Outside the bedroom, there isn't any and I no longer give it much thought. I have no problem filing the form. But when they ask (no, try to FORCE) me to install, uninstall and reinstall programs and generally make modifications to my PERSONAL computer and its programs, it strikes me as just a little over the top -- especially when the one page report uses up three to five hours or more of my precious time.

We are all different and have different available resources. You should consider that before making yourself a apologist for the agency THAT IS WRONG. Treasury wants the report, and Treasury should modify the process to make it more user friendly rather than try to intimidate people who are NOT criminals. Banks do it, brokerage houses do it, internet shopping companies do it, and Treasury can do it, too.

You really need to get out more, maybe plant a garden or something. Sitting too long in front of that computer might make you blind.

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

Well, isn't that special!

Myself, I'll uninstall whatever it takes.

This time I uninstalled two things:

Latest version of IE (it was too new)

A security program running in my browser

Good for you, Jingthing. I surmise from your willingness to uninstall and reinstall programs and your prodigious 42,517 posts that you have: (1) high speed internet connection, and (2) time on your hands. I wish I was you.

Unlike you, I live in ban nok (a small rural village) with NO high speed internet access. We have no phone lines and no 3G. What I do have is EDGE (2G),which is a little faster than dial-up. Based on previous experience I have found satellite internet access to be a little faster, but unreliable, intermittent and expensive. But I have learned to live with it, no complaints.

All of the programs on my computer are fully licensed and I keep them updated. Many update automatically in the background whenever I go online. Take my virus protection program, Bitdefender (very good, I might add). It updates silently and seamlessly in the background every time I go online; my virus definitions are always current. I have the program in a file and can uninstall it and reinstall it quite easily, but for one thing. When I install the bare program, I then have to go online and update all the virus definitions that have come into being since I acquired the bare program, and we are talking some 60-90 mb of downloading for that program alone. It takes two or three hours of my metered internet service and a lot of my time. Ditto for MS Word, Excel, etc., etc. When I feel the need to reformat my hard drive, it is a three or four day affair to get everything reinstalled and updated. If there is a way to grab these automatic updates as they download and store them for future use, I don't know it. If YOU know how to do it, I beseech you, please teach me. I would save a lot of time.

Speaking of which, I also do not have your time. I stay very busy. I'm building a house, which I designed. I did all the plumbing personally, by myself. I designed and personally installed the septic system, complete with a western style drain field. I will do all the electrical work (not there yet). I will personally build all the cabinets and built-ins and trim out the house with wood. I will landscape the whole place, complete with lawn, bushes, trees and flowers. I'm thinking it will take two years or more to complete it ll, but I love the DIY stuff. I dig and haul dirt and gravel. I make compost and take care of a garden. I spray the weeds and prune the trees in the family orchard. I fix everything that breaks. There are not enough hours in the day, which I usually start at 4 a.m.

Now my take on the FBAR is that it is a violation of privacy with which everybody must comply because of a few criminals. Twenty years ago, I actually worried about privacy, but I'm no fool. Outside the bedroom, there isn't any and I no longer give it much thought. I have no problem filing the form. But when they ask (no, try to FORCE) me to install, uninstall and reinstall programs and generally make modifications to my PERSONAL computer and its programs, it strikes me as just a little over the top -- especially when the one page report uses up three to five hours or more of my precious time.

We are all different and have different available resources. You should consider that before making yourself a apologist for the agency THAT IS WRONG. Treasury wants the report, and Treasury should modify the process to make it more user friendly rather than try to intimidate people who are NOT criminals. Banks do it, brokerage houses do it, internet shopping companies do it, and Treasury can do it, too.

You really need to get out more, maybe plant a garden or something. Sitting too long in front of that computer might make you blind.

Your 2-year house project sounds like a real labor of love; however, what you find meaningful in life is different from others. I see no reason for you to criticize Jingthing for what he chooses to fill his time with. You can certainly be angry with the IRS and other government institutions - I think most of us agree with this sentiment - but don't be so quick to judge others.

My posts about complying with FBAR filing requirements are in the spirit of helping people (like me) who are REQUIRED to do these filings (and also seeking help when I've needed it). Never said I liked the FBAR system or agree with it! w00t.gif Obviously, they've got the power if you choose to be a rebel. I'd rather do what I can to avoid such unnecessary complications in my life. Given the threatened fines they state, as filing online will now be REQUIRED, if I HAD to I would buy a new computer just to file.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I think it s better to have a good system working with no bug that you set just for filing paper work considering a tablet cost now less 150$ at Walmart. for a 7 inches...

and you keep your pc with your habitual software.

I think they will need more than one year to fix all bugs.

I think it s better to have a good system working with no bug that you set just for filing paper work considering a tablet cost now less 150$ at Walmart. for a 7 inches...

I think they don't care very much. They've had blatant outdated info on their instruction website for years now. I think it is OUR problem. Yes, I'm serious.

I think they don't care very much. They've had blatant outdated info on their instruction website for years now. I think it is OUR problem. Yes, I'm serious.

I tried to file the FBAR electronically yesterday. I set up the account, got passwords, etc., and completed the form. I was told to save it to my Desktop to sign it, which I did. I clicked the "sign" button and was given 4 choice; I selected the "signature" button. I was told to drag a box and insert a secure "signature", which I did and was told that the form was properly signed and locked. I was not given a "submit" button. I went back to the instructions and "sign the form" says that you should select "sign with PIN". I got my PIN, but there is no choice to "sign with PIN" in the "sign" drop down. So, after 1 and 1/2 hours, I gave up and printed the form and signed it by hand (very easy), and I will mail it today. What will happen next year is anyone's guess, but if it is still like this, I expect I will file by mail again, notwithstanding the requirement to file electronically. "IRS" -- "It Really Sucks!"

The only real option we have I think is to support and communicate with this group and ask them to lobby for expats to continue to allow mailed in forms unless/until they majorly fix the online filing process!

http://americansabroad.org/

Thailaw, I'm pretty amazed by your report. I had problems filing but I don't recognize the details of your problems (at the signing phase).

The only real option we have I think is to support and communicate with this group and ask them to lobby for expats to continue to allow mailed in forms unless/until they majorly fix the online filing process!

Thailaw, I'm pretty amazed by your report. I had problems filing but I don't recognize the details of your problems (at the signing phase).

Did you sign your FBAR using the PIN you were given? Was there a "choice" under the "Sign" dropdown to sign the form using your PIN?

Did you sign your FBAR using the PIN you were given? Was there a "choice" under the "Sign" dropdown to sign the form using your PIN?

I recall using my PIN but I don't remember the specific screens. I think there was the signing action and then the saving action, which LOCKED the document. I definitely do not remember given ANY choice! Which is why I am very surprised reading your report saying you were given a choice of ways to sign.

Edited by Jingthing

easier to fill form on paper and send by post....? registered mail. make copy of receipt.

take a picture of forms, back up on a email provider like Gmail , second back up on box. com(I can not keep paper for years with me, I m paperless mentality)

how you do guys?

how long it takes if u have all your bank info ready in hand ... 1 to 2 hours? filling forms, take scooter and go to post....

what online application offers?

The non-online option is OVER starting July 1, 2013. That's in about a week. That's the issue. Some of us wanted to try it out BEFORE it was absolutely required. Also the online option is nice in theory because with an official email receipt you KNOW there won't be an issue later with a claim of non-filing. I have little confidence they will fix all these issues for next next year's filing but I certainly hope so.

Edited by Jingthing

easier to fill form on paper and send by post....? registered mail. make copy of receipt.

take a picture of forms, back up on a email provider like Gmail , second back up on box. com(I can not keep paper for years with me, I m paperless mentality)

how you do guys?

how long it takes if u have all your bank info ready in hand ... 1 to 2 hours? filling forms, take scooter and go to post....

what online application offers?

About 2 min to fill out the form and maybe 45 sec per bank account ..... it's really pretty simple dude .... name address SS number or tax ID number and bank info ..... The form has to be at the Treasury on the due date not stamped on the due date like other things , you waited so long you probably need to fed ex it or use the online form now. It's about 100 times less trouble than you are making it out to be.

That's probably because most people don't need that advice to accomplish the task at hand.

The reports here over the years have been overwhelmingly about problems and commonly total FAILURES to file FBAR online. I did this year but I needed their help line assistance, uninstalling and re-installing multiple programs, etc. You can act like this is nothing, but it is not nothing. The guidance they DO give on their website about Reader is emphatic and clear and it is COMPLETELY WRONG (confirmed by their help people).

Edited by Jingthing

I didn't say it was nothing ..... I said don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

Next year, for people who are REQUIRED to file FBARs and no more an option of mailing, with the threat of shockingly severe penalties for failure to file, if they have serious technical problems filing and find they can't file (as reported by a number of people here) that would actually be rather a MOUNTAIN. This is serious stuff -- FBAR requirements. Myself it took me SEVERAL HOURS dealing with the technical aspects of filing and I'm relatively computer literate. Last year, I gave up.

Geee let me freak out over what is going to happen maybe, or maybe not, next year already ................ That's pretty much the definition of making a mountain out of a molehill

Yeah lets all worry about the severe penalty we get because it's impossible to fill out but they penalize us anyhow ..... next year ...... That's the definition of an Absurd mountain out of a molehill.

coffee1.gif

Under the current conditions which they really haven't improved since they started the online program, we already know that some significant percentage of people have found it impossible to actually use the online filing system. It is objectively difficult. I can say that in comparison to commercial online tax filing programs. Why would anyone be optimistic that they will improve something in the future that they haven't bothered improving in the past?

Edited by Jingthing

I was able to fill out the FBAR online on my second attempt by submitting the saved copy. I have a question though.

I was already to fill out an individual for myself and one for my wife.

My individual foreign accounts total over $10,000 so I filed.

BUT my wife's individual foreign accounts only total about $3000.

We do not have any joint FOREIGN accounts.

I didn't file for her because I don't think she is required.

What do you think?

I was able to fill out the FBAR online on my second attempt by submitting the saved copy. I have a question though.

I was already to fill out an individual for myself and one for my wife.

My individual foreign accounts total over $10,000 so I filed.

BUT my wife's individual foreign accounts only total about $3000.

We do not have any joint FOREIGN accounts.

I didn't file for her because I don't think she is required.

What do you think?

You contradicted yourself , but your wife if under 3000 doesn't need to file because it's under the limit but your wife probably doesn't need to flie anyhow, it woud be a joint account you would add on your form .... I assume she is not a US citizen.

sorry I am tired I read ..... I already filled out ...... it's under the limit so your fine

Edited by MrRealDeal

Under the current conditions which they really haven't improved since they started the online program, we already know that some significant percentage of people have found it impossible to actually use the online filing system. It is objectively difficult. I can say that in comparison to commercial online tax filing programs. Why would anyone be optimistic that they will improve something in the future that they haven't bothered improving in the past?

I will start freaking out over what may or may not happen in one year and a week or so, starting let's say tomorrow ok ?

In case you failed to notice your concerns are of no concern to me ...... I will begin my campaign to bring massive media attention to this serious problem at some later date to be determined.

Thank you for your warning about what may happen in July of 2014 I will add it to all the other conspiracy theory's I find on U-Tube and apply equal concern to it.