Thai diplomat accused of assault acted in self-defence: Foreign Ministry

webfact

ALLEGED ASSAULT
Thai diplomat accused of assault acted in self-defence: Foreign Ministry

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A female Thai diplomat who allegedly assaulted an Egyptian woman at a Cairo hotel had acted in self-defence, Thai Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Jakkrit Srivali said on Monday.

He quoted Kakanang Amaranand, first secretary of the Thai Embassy in Egypt, as dismissing news reports in Egyptian media that she attacked and injured Rana Ashraf.

Ashraf's husband was quoted as saying that Kakanang had "pushed [Ashraf] on the couch, kicked her more than five times in the face and head with her heels, pulled her hair out, bit her until she bled, and through all of this my wife was not grabbing or attacking her.

"Whenever we tried to pull her off, she would bite or pull harder. It was a completely one-sided fight."

He also alleged that Kakanang was drunk at the time.

Jakkrit reported that Thai Ambassador to Egypt Chalit Manittayakul had defended Kakanang's character, saying he had never seen her drunk to the point of losing self-control. The embassy has said it will investigate the incident.

Meanwhile, it still remains unclear as to whether Ashraf has filed a complaint with police.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure sounds like self defence.

Ashraf's husband was quoted as saying that Kakanang had "pushed [Ashraf] on the couch, kicked her more than five times in the face and head with her heels, pulled her hair out, bit her until she bled, and through all of this my wife was not grabbing or attacking her.

A Very Diplomatic Lady Indeed................bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

• First Secretary

2253.jpg
    นางสาว คคนางค์ อัมระนันทน์
    MISS. KAKANANG AMARANAND
According to Rana Ashraf, the woman who filed the complaint, the Thai embassy First Secretary Kakanang Amaranand was inebriated and assaulted Ashraf after being repeatedly abrasive and vulgar.
Ashraf and her husband have since contacted the embassy of Thailand in Cairo, which confirmed having received the complaint.
The embassy stated the ambassador has been alerted to the situation but would be unavailable to comment on the matter or to meet the aggrieved as he is currently travelling.
Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

Sure sounds like self defence.

Was he just standing there watching the entertainment or too gentlemanly to intervene and manhandle a woman ?

Good point.

This appears to be the husband's direct account of what happened... but I can't tell about whether the accompanying photo is supposed to be the husband and his wife....

http://www.scoopempire.com/post/2013/06/16/I-URGE-YOU-TO-READ-AND-SHARE-THIS.aspx

Last Thursday, my wife was brutally attacked by a drunken lunatic diplomat while having a night out at the Kempinski hotel in Cairo.

We arrived at the hotel at 12.30-1am to meet up with my friends. Coincidentally, one of my friends' lovely girlfriend works at the Thai embassy in Egypt. She brought a friend of hers who nobody has ever met before who was extremely drunk.....

PS - This account, apparently by the husband, includes a reference that seems to say the Embassy lady had previously been posted in Beirut...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I would expect she will be on a plane home very quickly, even before the Egyptians insist on it.

Normally this would be the kiss of death for a career, well at the very least no more overseas postings except maybe Laos or Myanmar which is hardly the pinnacle of someone's career. However TIT and her family may be connected or she may have a " special relationship " with someone senior or be protected for any number of reasons.

It's sad to automatically think like this but that's what happens when used to seeing how things work so many times.

She seems to like a scrap and a drink.

Sounds like a ready made replacement for Chalerm.

Whether it is true of not what is a diplomat doing drunk in public, in control or not?

She is supposed to be representing her country.

Oh, well, yes, following the example of someone else I suppose.

I assume the "someone" to whom you refer is this gem??

A senior British diplomat in Thailand broke through three pairs of plastic handcuffs, threatened to kill fellow airline passengers and abused cabin staff after drinking heavily on a flight to London in the aftermath of the tsunami, a court heard yesterday.

Fellow passengers seated near Colonel Peter Roberts, defence attache at the British embassy in Thailand, said it became clear very quickly that he was an important man with an important job.

But as the Etihad Airways flight from Abu Dhabi to Heathrow flew over Belgium in February last year, Col Roberts' behaviour deteriorated until he went berserk, Isleworth crown court heard.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/18/politics.ukcrime

"defence attache at the British embassy in Thailand ... was an important man with an important job."

That's hilarious. I suppose it beats being the "defence attaché" at the British High Commission in Swaziland in terms of importance.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

This appears to be the husband's direct account of what happened... but I can't tell about whether the accompanying photo is supposed to be the husband and his wife....

http://www.scoopempire.com/post/2013/06/16/I-URGE-YOU-TO-READ-AND-SHARE-THIS.aspx

Last Thursday, my wife was brutally attacked by a drunken lunatic diplomat while having a night out at the Kempinski hotel in Cairo.

We arrived at the hotel at 12.30-1am to meet up with my friends. Coincidentally, one of my friends' lovely girlfriend works at the Thai embassy in Egypt. She brought a friend of hers who nobody has ever met before who was extremely drunk.....

PS - This account, apparently by the husband, includes a reference that seems to say the Embassy lady had previously been posted in Beirut...

A couple of other news sources are quoting a newspaper in Egypt which says the husband was supposedly assaulted first and when his wife got between him and the diplomat she took a beating.

No source has, as yet, mentioned any injuries sustained by the Thai lady ?

It would be interesting to see comments from independent witnesses like people at the next table, hotel staff and security.

There is no excuse for any diplomat behaving like this, but I know from experience that many like to party hard (not just Thais) and behave very differently from how they would in their own country. Hiding behind diplomatic immunity is a useful card to play.

On face value it looks just like another drunken argument escalating to violence. If you bait a drunk, expect reaction. Best to ignore them.

• Like 1

Whether it is true of not what is a diplomat doing drunk in public, in control or not?

She is supposed to be representing her country.

Oh, well, yes, following the example of someone else I suppose.

I assume the "someone" to whom you refer is this gem??

A senior British diplomat in Thailand broke through three pairs of plastic handcuffs, threatened to kill fellow airline passengers and abused cabin staff after drinking heavily on a flight to London in the aftermath of the tsunami, a court heard yesterday.

Fellow passengers seated near Colonel Peter Roberts, defence attache at the British embassy in Thailand, said it became clear very quickly that he was an important man with an important job.

But as the Etihad Airways flight from Abu Dhabi to Heathrow flew over Belgium in February last year, Col Roberts' behaviour deteriorated until he went berserk, Isleworth crown court heard.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/18/politics.ukcrime

"defence attache at the British embassy in Thailand ... was an important man with an important job."

That's hilarious. I suppose it beats being the "defence attaché" at the British High Commission in Swaziland in terms of importance.

And Col Roberts was found not guilty at the ensuing trial.

"The colonel 's solicitor, Look Chih Wang, issued a statement on his behalf, saying: "His behaviour was due to a temporary abnormality of function caused by long-term chronic stress, tsunami-related post-traumatic stress, sleep deprivation and a combination of the antidepressant Seroxat and alcohol.

"Col Roberts had been advised by his doctor that he could drink in moderation whilst taking Seroxat and has maintained his innocence throughout these proceedings.

"Although Col Roberts has been acquitted he nevertheless wishes to apologise to all those who were affected by his behaviour and offended by his remarks."

Perhaps the First Secretary had been subject to some high stress similar to those experienced by someone identifying tsunami victims. Or maybe her circumstances are different. Interesting that a British diplomat still had to face charges in court. Wonder if the First Secretary will face charges in a Thai court?

Hard to say for sure, but these photos seem to match up...in terms of the Egyptian husband mentioned in the news reports, named as Mohamed or Mohaemed Sameh.

Here's the photo posted in the supposed husband's first-hand account linked above, which mentions the couple are newlyweds:

post-58284-0-94540000-1371522612_thumb.j

Here's a Facebook page with a similar name (Mohamed Sameh Ashour) and similar photo from Cairo:

post-58284-0-95640000-1371522841_thumb.j

And here's a LinkedIn page with the same name (Mohamed Sameh Ashour) and photo from Cairo:

post-58284-0-76442200-1371522857_thumb.j

I should add...the photos and names are quite similar. But no way to know for certain whether they are the same individual or not.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK