Question for Non Smokers - A night out in the GoGos, what do you do to prepare?

oakweb

How can anyone not care that their shirts reek of smoke, and breathing in all that crap for hours? It's amazing to me. I guess some people don't care about

hygiene, I've seen (and smelled) them before.. I just don't get it.

I'll give the Metro a try, thank's for all the help with suggestions.

I don't think smokers know just how bad they smell because there is no way someone would willingly walk around smelling like that. Even their sweat wreaks of nicotine. You can usually smell a heavy smoker or someone who had just smoked, even if they are standing a few feet away from you.

To each his own, but it is indeed a horrible habit. There are enough poisons in the air already, I'm not sure why you would want to try to add more and actually pay for it.

Side note, I always find it quite funny to walk into a gym to see the biggest guys (usually with lots of bad tattoos and shaved heads) outside chain smoking before they go in. Not sure what they are thinking.

• Like 2

Side note, I always find it quite funny to walk into a gym to see the biggest guys (usually with lots of bad tattoos and shaved heads) outside chain smoking before they go in. Not sure what they are thinking.

The tattooes, the muscles, the shaved head and the gym itself, are all about image. The smoking may not be about image and it's certainly not about health.

Big Arnold Schwarzenegger is a cigar smoker.

The tattooes, the muscles, the shaved head and the gym itself, are all about image. The smoking may not be about image and it's certainly not about health.

Have you seen a recent photo of Arnold???

post-52310-0-76107000-1371955355_thumb.j

sick.gif

As much as I would welcome and prefer smoke free venues over those that do allow smoking, I do also understand that a gogo bar is not exactly a zen spa and I do not order there drinks containing probiotics either...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

As much as I would welcome and prefer smoke free venues over those that do allow smoking, I do also understand that a gogo bar is not exactly a zen spa and I do not order there drinks containing probiotics either...

I'm sure that no customer enters a gogo bar for health reasons, but I'm also sure that no customer would enter a gogo bar knowing that his health or his social pleasure is going to be compromised by having to breathe air thick with carcinogenic material.

Unfortunately, most gogo bar owners don't give two hoots about the comfort or welfare of their customers. They wrongly believe that they will lose too much trade by enforcing the NO SMOKING regulations.

They fail to realise that smokers are now in the minority and they stand a much greater chance of increasing their profits by keeping their premises free from tobacco smoke.

It only takes one smoker to stuff up the whole room and the more non-smokers they offend, the more potential profits their respective businesses lose as a consequence.

An astute bar owner does his best to encourage return trade. ie. regular customers. If he aims only at attracting the minority smokers onto his premises, he would be well advised to clean off his GOGO BAR FOR SALE sign.

Edited by Rimmer
Please do not alter a quoted reply in any it is against forum rules

Comparing smoking to drinking - As a lifelong heavily smoking teetotaller I can tell you that I find it extremely discomforting to sit in a gogo bar full of inebriated miscreants who under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol, act with the manners of animals and do things that would make a grown man cringe. And then there's the customers!! sick.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

Comparing smoking to drinking - As a lifelong heavily smoking teetotaller I can tell you that I find it extremely discomforting to sit in a gogo bar full of inebriated miscreants who under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol, act with the manners of animals and do things that would make a grown man cringe. And then there's the customers!! sick.gif

Whilst these inebriated customers might disturb your peace and comfort, their drinking habits are not harmful to your health.

Whilst these inebriated customers might disturb your peace and comfort, their drinking habits are not harmful to your health.

Don't think you read my post too well. I was (tongue in cheek) referring to the staff whistling.gif

I'm not a teetotaller anyway, but to take up your point I have to disagree. Other customers drinking to excess can be extremely hazardous to the health of other patrons if the excessive drinker decides to bottle you because you looked at the girl on his knee for 2 seconds too long, or mows you down on the way home riding his scooter.

There aren't too many smokers who are arrested for causing GBH or getting involved in a traffic accident while under the influence of nicotine. coffee1.gif

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

sick.gif

That's an old photo. He's getting back into training again. He's back in the movies again and needs to be in good shape. There's a recent video on YouTube of Arnold training in his home gym.

That's what I figured as well. Their work outs have nothing to do with health and everything to do with image. To each his own, but it does look silly.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

sick.gif

That's an old photo. He's getting back into training again. He's back in the movies again and needs to be in good shape. There's a recent video on YouTube of Arnold training in his home gym.

He is going to play in the new Terminator movie so he has to get back into shape. I have no doubt he will, he's a champ.

I agree air pollution is bad, but for sure it's nothing like a small gogo filled with smoke. The girls in those bars can't even speak sometimes

from how bad the air is. I went back to Rainbow 4 and in my opinion, its the BEST BAR I've seen in Thailand after 20 years of lurking.

The girls look great, the music was perfect, and the staff are pros. And best part about it is, its SMOKE FREE.

Also they have a "No Haunt" policy there, so if you take a guest out one night.. they are not allowed to come up to you the next night unless

you call them over.

The way that bar is run should be a model for every bar owner in Thailand.

Edited by oakweb

I'm not a teetotaller anyway, but to take up your point I have to disagree. Other customers drinking to excess can be extremely hazardous to the health of other patrons if the excessive drinker decides to bottle you because you looked at the girl on his knee for 2 seconds too long, or mows you down on the way home riding his scooter.

There aren't too many smokers who are arrested for causing GBH or getting involved in a traffic accident while under the influence of nicotine. coffee1.gif

A bit far fetched, but whilst it's true that a drinking and driving can cause serious accidents on the road, smoking in bed can cause a whole hotel to burn to the ground, incinerating those trapped inside. Then, we have those smokers who drop their lit cigarette into their lap whilst driving, resulting in a serious road accident.

See, I can be just as ridiculous with my points as you are with your argument.

You can't get away from the fact that smoking in an enclosed space, such as a gogo bar, irritates others at best, can cause health problems to others at worst.

In view of your post, my advice to you it to not look at any girl sitting on another persons lap. It could be harmful to your health. tongue.png

So 'Rainbow' hasn't gone out of business as a result of a strictly enforced "no smoking" rule? Gosh, what a shock. The uproar from smokers and panicked bar owners in the USA was deafening when such laws were strictly enforced in one city after another there. Guess what? Bars are still in business, and doing as well as ever.

I'm a firm believer in individual freedom. But that freedom must always be limited by the inclusion of a caveat stating that you are not free to do what you want IF that action causes harm to other human beings. That is the beginning and end of my position on "no smoking" rules.

Smokers should not be free to "share" their destructive smoke with non smokers; and bar owners should not be free to ignore the laws that prohibit smoking in their establishments - laws which, by the way, DO exist in Pattaya! ... But, of course, the freedom to ignore laws is among the primary attractions of Pattaya for many of those who choose to visit and reside here. That's why it's the cesspool that it is.

ok well please feel free to leave pattaya,thailand,south east asia for that matter.feel free to go back to the usa.I myself and many others like the freedom of being able to sit in a bar having a cigarette while enjoying a beer or 2.thats y i and many more choose thailand,south east asia to holiday,it sure beats being back home in oz being forced outside on the footpath in absolute freezing conditions to enjoy a smoke.which is a legal product by the way.my apoligies if my our actions offend you sum num na

So 'Rainbow' hasn't gone out of business as a result of a strictly enforced "no smoking" rule? Gosh, what a shock. The uproar from smokers and panicked bar owners in the USA was deafening when such laws were strictly enforced in one city after another there. Guess what? Bars are still in business, and doing as well as ever.

I'm a firm believer in individual freedom. But that freedom must always be limited by the inclusion of a caveat stating that you are not free to do what you want IF that action causes harm to other human beings. That is the beginning and end of my position on "no smoking" rules.

Smokers should not be free to "share" their destructive smoke with non smokers; and bar owners should not be free to ignore the laws that prohibit smoking in their establishments - laws which, by the way, DO exist in Pattaya! ... But, of course, the freedom to ignore laws is among the primary attractions of Pattaya for many of those who choose to visit and reside here. That's why it's the cesspool that it is.

ok well please feel free to leave pattaya,thailand,south east asia for that matter.feel free to go back to the usa.I myself and many others like the freedom of being able to sit in a bar having a cigarette while enjoying a beer or 2.thats y i and many more choose thailand,south east asia to holiday,it sure beats being back home in oz being forced outside on the footpath in absolute freezing conditions to enjoy a smoke.which is a legal product by the way.my apoligies if my our actions offend you sum num na

Please understand and acknowledge the difference between "offensive" and "physically harmful and irritating". If you stand near me in a mixed crowd that includes many women and children, and use extremely foul language, I'd find that "offensive". But it would be damaging my internal organs, or fouling my hair and clothing with the (for me) nauseating odor of cigarette smoke. Do you see the difference there? If you ridiculed something about my physical appearance, or insulted my family; I'd find that "offensive". But, again, you wouldn't be causing me any physical harm or discomfort.

As for the legality of producing cigarettes, it's also legal to produce guns and ammunition; but you're not allowed to shoot non-threatening people with them!

Please understand and acknowledge the difference between "offensive" and "physically harmful and irritating". If you stand near me in a mixed crowd that includes many women and children, and use extremely foul language, I'd find that "offensive". But it would be damaging my internal organs, or fouling my hair and clothing with the (for me) nauseating odor of cigarette smoke. Do you see the difference there? If you ridiculed something about my physical appearance, or insulted my family; I'd find that "offensive". But, again, you wouldn't be causing me any physical harm or discomfort.

As for the legality of producing cigarettes, it's also legal to produce guns and ammunition; but you're not allowed to shoot non-threatening people with them!

yes i get your piont as u have stated above,allthough if you choose asia as a holiday destination then you would have to walk around in a bubble not subject yourself to physical harm.if you dont like smoking in bars simply dont go into them.smoking in bars and gogos are not exclusive to pattaya by the way its allthroughout south east asia.if your so concerned about your quality of life dont go there.and comparing smokes to guns please im not going to go into a debate on that 1 the op is about smoking something which obviously, literally gets up your nose in thailand.

Also they have a "No Haunt" policy there, so if you take a guest out one night.. they are not allowed to come up to you the next night unless

you call them over.

Now, that is a revolutionary policy for a Go-Go bar. thumbsup.gif

Yes, not to mention weird, awkward and unnatural.

Farang bar managers especially tend to do that: over-regulate and manage a place to death. Then they wonder why they have such a hard time keeping staff.

The smokers can not win!! In the end, and there will be one. Smoke will eventaully be banned everywhere. Just a matter of time.

I would find it much more important to bring a packet of condoms to a go go just saying.....

<deleted> does visiting a gogo have anything to do with health and ahnuld anyway

Edited by Rimmer
Profanity

all you guys are a bunch of sooks, and this is coming from a non smoker. seriously if the smoking bothers you that much dont come to thailand, you know the smoking laws here are a joke. so stop complaining about them.

all you guys are a bunch of sooks, and this is coming from a non smoker. seriously if the smoking bothers you that much dont come to thailand, you know the smoking laws here are a joke. so stop complaining about them.

Ahh, the old first line of the "AA prayer" ... "Lord, help me to accept the things I cannot change ...". Don't forget the second line" "... the courage to change the things I can ..." And, since some places in Thailand, even here in Pattaya, ARE obeying the law that is in place; the third line of that prayer would seem to work in the favor of those who are trying to change things.

"LIve with it or leave" is a weak and ignorant argument against any complaint. The fact is that cigarette smoke IS, at the very LEAST, physically irritating to non-smokers. By all reasonable social standards, no person should have the right, or even the inclination, to do something that is physically irritating to another.

Remember that silly old "Golden Rule" thing? My philosophy paraphrases it just a bit. Everyone should have the right to do whatever they wish, so long as doing so doesn't harm, or interfere with the rights of others. Not sure what people see wrong with that.

• Like 1

A few years ago, the places in Pattaya actually enforced the non-smoking law that had been passed. That lasted about 6 months or until the next season. Then everybody seemd to forget such a ban existed. I even still see the non-smoking signs in some places but they are ignored. I so much enjoyed it when it was non-smoking. It really was a nicer experience. This last trip, gosh it was horrible.