Posting a Parcel to Bangkok from the UK

Malthus101

So

Parcelforce (Post Office) in the UK is a total rip-off. They put their prices up in April and they are about 3 times what FedEx would charge for the same service.

However, I read on here that using any of the major courier servcies will almsot guarantee a 20% import charge on anything, plus all the other hidden fees.

I need a 12Kg box sent from the UK to Bangkok. I need it quickly. It contains my laptop that has been in the repair shop and a few textbooks. Essential for my stay here, so have to have them.

I did some reading on TrustPilot and the carrier than came out way above everyone else was ParcelHero.

To send the box here would cost me £140, which is about what I was expecting - but, in a review, someone said that when the man came to collect, he was actually from DHL. So it seems they just bulk buy from the main couriers anyway.

If I use them, what should I write on my customs declaration to avoid the 20% tax?

Surely it is only for new items?

Thanks friends....

No import duty on computers and computer parts anymore but you have to pay 7% VAT on the cost insurance and freight but they ignore the freight cost, unless a courier is used. I don't know what model your laptop or how old but I would think "Second hand notebook computer - value GBP 110" or so would do it. In my experienced they normally convert sterling as the US dollar rate by mistake, so you get a discount. A parcel that size and weight has a good chance of being opened by customs, so don't take too much liberty with the declaration.

No import duty on computers and computer parts anymore but you have to pay 7% VAT on the cost insurance and freight but they ignore the freight cost, unless a courier is used. I don't know what model your laptop or how old but I would think "Second hand notebook computer - value GBP 110" or so would do it. In my experienced they normally convert sterling as the US dollar rate by mistake, so you get a discount. A parcel that size and weight has a good chance of being opened by customs, so don't take too much liberty with the declaration.

Excellent, thanks - I will say "broken laptop", "student textbooks" & "small office items" - Value it at like £100 or something. Should do the trick - but I HAVE to use a courier as they are a third the cost of using regular post from the UK - thanks for your help.