Myanmar Interfaith marriage opposed

webfact

Is it true that when a Muslim and a non Muslim want to marry,then the non Muslim must convert to Islam?. If this is so, then what this Buddhist monk is asking for, is the same rules that the Muslims already have.

Yes. However conversion is not common, as the male/female Buddhist would normally be ostracised by their family. I have observed this practice in Thailand & would assume it's the same in Myanmar. Vice versa also applies.

Remember their is a deeper level of discrimination against Muslims regards relationships in Myanmar e.g. Rohingya are required to request permission from the authorities to marry, together with the maximum two child policy.

Strange because I know of quite a few cases of a Buddhist marrying a Muslim here in the south of Thailand, and in every instance the none Muslim had to convert to Islam,though I've never heard of the Buddhist being ostracized by the Buddhist community.

Talking about actual events within my extended Thai Muslim family in Pattaya in three instances of Buddhists marrying a Muslim male/female in the past few years where they have been disowned by their family.

Edited by simple1

I am personalty behind Wirathu all the way. I agree with his views totally, we should all be very concerned about the menacing growth of Islam (with their hidden agendas) and do everything in our power to curb their insidious intentions.

The only way would be for the Muslim man to give up Islam rather than the woman to give up Buddhism.

your handle and avatar is self-explanatory whistling.gif

Yours as well, and a little message in Klingon: "benall dochvam chenmoH"

Edited by newermonkey

Hmmm.. Can a person convert to Buddhism? I can recall no ritual or other symbolic act. One just follows (or pretends to follow) the teachings. As far as Buddhism being a faith, I think this is in error. Read this quote and see if this qualifies as "faith"; "Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and priests. But, whatever, after thorough investigation and reflection, you find to agree with reason and experience, as conducive to the good and benefit of one and all of the world at large, accept only that as true, and shape your life in accordance with it.' -Buddha